The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Trust me he was the third mistake in a series of 3 mistakes

that said if he reacted quicker he had an angle to get over 

it was a very rough game for Stecher. I love the kid but he simply was too small for that game yesterday. He had a rough game. I think he will not be I. Our plans next season similar to Hutton 

Yeah I agree he probably won’t be in the plans you forward. What I would have liked to see though was him swing the stick and take a potential penalty to stop that play, he got close enough to do that but tried to catch up and the shot had already been release by the time he go his stick in front 

9 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Duh 

that is Hockey 101 pal... thanks for the clarification. There is no issue the winger failed (bad line change) 

when that does not happen what do you do? Say oh well that’s not my guy? No you cut over immediately, not after the pass is made 

no you have your head on a swivel and move. 

it’s maddening when people that have never played the game do not realize the coverage priorities. Yes there are primary responsibilities that Timbits kids understand but there are failsafe moves that are just as basic 

I'd bet the farm that I've played far more games than you have....

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

REFS -

We can either call all of the penalties, but then that would mean several PPs for the Canucks.

Or we can call none and let them duke it out 5 on 5. Well, except when there's 2:00 left in the game, STL deserves a shot to get back in the series. 

Loui knocked his hat off with his stick

I have no problem with that call

The funny thing is about 20 seconds earlier I say to my TV, "Loui heres your chance, do something good"... penalty

Same in OT, "Jake, do something good"... penalty 

Its like a chess match watching the 2 different styles of play. The Canucks D are trying to get to the dump ins with speed to transition it quickly, which allows the Blues fore checkers to hit them hard and try to force turnovers. Our D have to be smarter in timing their retrievals so they don't get hurt and they need more support for short outlets. It looked like they were starting to adjust for it in the last half of the game after Schenn drilled a couple of guys but my heart is in my throat every time Troy and Quinn go back for a puck... A lot of credit to the Canucks play in their own end this series though, Blues have a lot of possession but the boys are doing a great job keeping it to the outside and are fearless with their shot blocks.

1 minute ago, lmm said:

Loui knocked his hat off with his stick

I have no problem with that call

The funny thing is about 20 seconds earlier I say to my TV, "Loui heres your chance, do something good"... penalty

Another point to ditch the windshield.

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

Guess you should stop saying or thinking those things!!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

If the dman pinches his partner needs to stagger typically shifting to the middle and off the blue line unless 100% certain of success.

Not hard. Stetcher screwed up...but 7 made a risky decision and there wasn't a winger. 2 bad plays and 51 didn’t read and react.

You know it's a bad read when the camera shifts too quickly and the viewer is like wtf where did he come from?

Totally agree

multiple breakdowns 

59 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If people watched the replay of that elbow, it came as a result of a crosscheck by a Canucks defender. I would have preferred both be called, rather than neither, but as you say, that's life. People really need to get over this mantra of the refs being out to get the Canucks. The missed call on Loui was disappointing, but not unprecedented and also, not as obvious as Jake sticking out his leg. (although I disagree that his penalty "cost us the game")

If we're being honest about the officiating, we have to admit that the Canucks were the beneficiaries of a huge non-call, earlier in the game when Horvat got away with a hook that otherwise would have resulted in a point blank chance for the Blues' forward. (can't remember which one for sure, but I seem to recall it being Schwartz)

As far as the foray into the O-Zone by Hughes, players are taught since peewee that if you're the winger closest to your own goal, you drop back and cover when the defenseman goes into the opposing red zone. It shouldn't have mattered if it was a line change, one of the guys coming on the ice, should have assumed Left D duties.

It was a tough game for Stecher, but what can you do? He's willing, but just too small to deal with the size and strength of the Blues forwards. He basically got rag dolled on Faulk's goal. On the other side of the coin, I though Fanta had a great game and Benn was better than expected, considering the layoff. More playing time for them please....

Finally, give some respect to Schenn. That was an all-world snipe. Basically, the difference in this game was that he made a better shot than Miller did on his chance.

You probably saw later that Stawns pointed that out about the elbow, and my reply to him pretty much falls in line with your post.  I was pretty happy with the reffing last night, and I for one don't blame them for the loss at all.  I was surprised Jake got called, but no way that it cost us the game.  It's not like the Canucks had all the momentum in OT and the penalty (which was only borderline cuz it was playoffs OT... that gets called basically every time in regular season) changed the flow.  I was jut looking forward to the next infraction, since it was all but guaranteed to be a Canuck powerplay.  They had to call something against StL, given the late game call (which was an easy call) and Jake's penalty.  I was surprised Stech didn't get called for tackling Perron before they both went off for roughing.  I wondered with the Horvat play (if what I remember is what you refer to), but wasn't his stick below the glove (barely), making it a stick lift rather than a hook (and thereby ok)?  I'm a little stymied with how they differentiate that now... in general, not just with Horvat's play.

On Faulk's goal. I put a lot of blame on the forwards.  Stech is skating back towards his own end boards, and the forwards are rushing in the other direction, especially on the right side.  Not only was there no one for him to pass to up the boards, but coverage from the other Canuck forwards was lacking.  Stech was abandoned there, not sure if it was Beagle or Motte that went north on the right side. Reminiscent of some of our bad 80s and 90s days.  

I agree with you on Schenn's goal, both the snipe and the missed wing dropping back.  My only beef with Hughes there is who was he hoping to get the puck to?  If he doesn't have someone to pass to, you eat the puck and try to reverse the play.  Maybe it was knocked off before he could do that, it's hard to see.

Just need the boys to do better next game.  They were almost good enough here, but even if they had scored in OT, this was their worst game of the series.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I do think Jake has tremendous potential but unfortunately he does not have any hockey smarts and his lack of discipline is a serious issue, the world juniors was a warning of that 

the ref had zero choice but to call that slew foot

that penalty changed the momentum along with the fact we could not score immediately to take a 2-0 lead. Had many chances

This. I like Jake, but that was a stupid penalty to take, and in overtime no less. That isn’t on the refs. Everyone in the building saw that slew foot plain as day. Refs had to call it. Momentum killer. Jake needs to play smarter. 

I think anyone besides Quinn had the opportunity to stop that play before it happened if they were focused and aware. As the second defender on the ice Stetch had a responsibility to get reorganized defensively as soon as he realizes his defensive partner was out of position. Even if was simply vocally shouting to his forwards to pick up defensively for Hughes accompanied by moving closer to the middle of the ice to provide support.

Oh well, it's over. Move on to the next one.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I think anyone besides Quinn had the opportunity to stop that play before it happened if they were focused and aware. As the second defender on the ice Stetch had a responsibility to get reorganized defensively as soon as he realizes his defensive partner was out of position. Even if was simply vocally shouting to his forwards to pick up defensively for Hughes accompanied by moving closer to the middle of the ice to provide support.

Oh well, it's over. Move on to the next one.

True but he came over the boards with those forwards, BB had already gone in he had to go seal the right blue line as it looked like we had won the battle until RoR came away with a sweep pass. 

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I agree

Boeser is a class act and happy he is on the team.  I do however want to see that hard, fast skating Boeser that played against Minni than this regular season version of Boeser.  his play during rookie year and last round vs Minni is different than regular season and current round. We know what he is capable of and he could be a huge lift to his line if he upped his play like we know he can.

If someone did a frame by frame of his skating, he was going at a 10 last round and an 8 this series.

I think the difference is St.Louis is doing a better job of shutting Boeser down than Minnesota rather than an inditement of Boeser’s play.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing Brock needs to improve is his foot speed and acceleration. No worked on his and improved significantly 

what is happening is the Blues are laying the body on Brock and cutting off his angles. If you notice it almost stops his momentum. It’s like a truck starting up again. Meanwhile he is playing with 2 guys that can fly.