The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

8 minutes ago, CanucksBachelor said:

honestly I hope managment and the ownership comes down hard on players for skipping work and refusing to play..this is not a democracy, nhl is a business.. you don't get to "choose" when you come into work..

Clear guidelines are set, just like any other professional environment. You don't show up for work one day you'll get fired or heavily reprimanded.. owners dominate not the players, let's not set a bad precedent here.

Players are contractors - not employees. 

Just sayin'.

I think you're confusing the relationship - and underestimating their power - and discretion - in the matter.

You can't "fire" a contractor.  You can't set a "precedent" based on an illusion of what the relationship consists of.

You might be able to take legal action to recover lost revenue - or withhold compensation for the period in question - but doing so wouldn't be a very advisable response.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Same.  I'm hoping they knock off Dallas - for various reasons.

I don't care about the perceived matchup implications - I'd like to see those two styles of hockey head to head - I think that would be extremely entertaining.

It would be super entertaining - that bar was set pretty high from this game... hard to believe this was almost 2 years ago... 

• Cheers 3

53 minutes ago, oldnews said:

it's hard to argue with any of that - and at the same timel is there anything new about it?

the daily side-show might be a new development in the social media age, but otherwise...

whenever I'm inclined to waste some of my time surfing CNN or MSN, I can't help but notice the wall to wall pharma-push - virtually every commercial break - pharma pushers.

There was a time when they - CNN/MSN had no evident/apparent affiliation - they were simply state-media - apologists and agents (as Faux news are presently) every bit as embedded and cow-tow to the Republican party, the Bush presidencies  - as they were and are the Democrats in the present.   The Democrats represent no break from big pharma, no break from corporate lobbyism, and someone will have to help me understand the big break they made from big oil.

Obama - if we're real here - expanded presidential power when he could have / should have (if we're naive) done otherwise, and has effectively enabled his predecessor in the process. 

He didn't appear to have a problem expanding the US' global policing and surveillance network - it's difficult to detect any real break with business as usual in the United States during his presidency - it sure looked and looks like continuity in general.

And now, the option people are supposed to embrace - is another round with his vice president.  Same old same old.

America can't really vote their way out of their problems.   They are going to have to bring 'democracy' into both those parties -  those people within are the ones to do it - not their opponents, pointing what-about fingers accross at each other, endlessly - and effectively escalating the erosion of rights on both sides.  That, or build a third party, non-partisan, capable of rebalancing that tire fire.

Big pharma commercials, the best money can buy. I  cringe when I hear of US people coming over to buy much needed medicines. And hospitals for profit, jails for profit? And both red and blue have their faces in the trough. Politicians used to be statesmen and uphold values and ideals useful to everyday people.  Wall st bailouts?and bank profits go even higher. Amazon and elites making even higher profits during the pandemic? One statistic I want to see is how many US families have gone bankrupt because of covid.

I feel the pendulum cant go any further for corporations and it has to start swinging back towards making a more humane society for individuals and families. 

Obama. Could he have done more? Yes. But I don't think we'll ever know because he tried to stay within the rules thus making it easy for the GOP to  road block him at every turn. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, CanucksBachelor said:

honestly I hope managment and the ownership comes down hard on players for skipping work and refusing to play..this is not a democracy, nhl is a business.. you don't get to "choose" when you come into work..

Clear guidelines are set, just like any other professional environment. You don't show up for work one day you'll get fired or heavily reprimanded.. owners dominate not the players, let's not set a bad precedent here.

You do know that the players are not paid during the play-offs, right? Contractual obligations are only during the regular season.

Edited by Lionized27
typo
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

In that people are talking about racism instead of hockey

Sorry, just came from the Canucks Facebook page, there is no discussion, just people stating their point of view and calling everyone else all sorts of nasty names. It’s quite disturbing and sad. I do not see how what’s going on there can be healthy or helpful.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Not sure why they don’t just push game 7 to September 5th, the islanders game 7 is that day so what would the problem be? 

My guess is the Western finals would start Sept. 6th and Eastern finals on Sept. 7th.

Edited by Slegr

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

My guess is the Western finals would start on the Sunday, and Eastern finals on the Monday.

That makes too much sense, I’m gonna blame Bettman and Kelly Sutherland instead

Edited by Petey40

1 hour ago, CanucksBachelor said:

There's quite a few businesses that will allow professionals to take a "personal day". Not at all unusual.  Glad you have such disregard for our players though.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Slegr said:

My guess is the Western finals would start Sept. 6th and Eastern finals on Sept. 7th.

It’s that combined with the fact they don’t want to have a game competing with the Kentucky Derby apparently. :picard:

Why are you assuming the league/owners are not agreeable to the NHLPA's concerns regarding suspending play?  Contractually, the upcoming condensed schedule indicates both the NHLPA and the league agreed on modifying days off in lieu. 

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

It would be super entertaining - that bar was set pretty high from this game... hard to believe this was almost 2 years ago... 

I remember being at that game.  One of the most entertaining games I have ever seen.  That release by Pettersson on the late tying goal was simply amazing.  

My how times have changed.  Five of the six D in that game are no longer playing for us

Who cares. No need to lose sleep or be upset.. game delayed a couple of days. Canucks got extra rest which they badly needed.. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Players are contractors - not employees. 

Just sayin'.

I think you're confusing the relationship - and underestimating their power - and discretion - in the matter.

You can't "fire" a contractor.  You can't set a "precedent" based on an illusion of what the relationship consists of.

You might be able to take legal action to recover lost revenue - or withhold compensation for the period in question - but doing so wouldn't be a very advisable response.

Obviously you have no experience as a contractor.

A contractor can be fired in a sense - they can have their contract dismissed due to breach of contract among other things.

We also are only paid for hours worked.