The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Lol I don't think Commercial Dr eateries are enough to go on. The question is does Benning sleep on OEL, lose a bidding war to 1 of 10 or so teams wanting Petro and then end up with neither?

Well I guess you haven't been to Commercial Drive recently.  Any hockey player that dines there will immediately sign with Vancouver.  ^_^

Petey's favourite food is on Commercial Drive...  :)

• Haha 1

A lot of people worried about the term... but keep in mind, this is a buyout friendly contract....  would carry a 2.5M penalty for years....  but a risk that they may gamble on for an opportunity to add a legit top 3 D man while Quinn and Pete are still ELC..., if the price is reasonable. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

He's going to Boston = makes more sense (aside from the putting them on his list part) :ph34r:

He's a better fit -and more on their timeline imo.

McAvoy and Carlo are their two best defensemen - they're both RHD..

Chara, Krug, Gryzelcyk all three LHD expiring....

To Zona:

DeBrusk

Vaakanainen

Lauzon/2nd

another pick if zona retains

• Upvote 1

It seems risky to trade for a near 30 player with a massive cap hit for a long time to come but there’s a good chance this guy has another solid 5-6years of being a stalemate in your top 4 and you’ll definitely get top pairing production for at least 3 or 4 depending on health (he’s been healthy thus far in his career.) It’s a gamble that could pay off in dividends or bite us in the ass ala Loui but Benning smells blood given the clubs successes this year and he’s probably gonna go for the kill with acquiring a player like this. Either way, I won’t be disappointed. 

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

He's going to Boston = makes more sense (aside from the putting them on his list part) :ph34r:

He's a better fit -and more on their timeline imo.

McAvoy and Carlo are their two best defensemen - they're both RHD..

Chara, Krug, Gryzelcyk all three LHD expiring....

To Zona:

DeBrusk

Vaakanainen

Lauzon/2nd

another pick if zona retains

I would agree with this.  Boston is a much better fit, especially now that Krug is leaving.  And Boston's window is now, so OEL fits their timeline.  

Let's not forget Newell Brown was an assistant/the PP coach in Arizona when OEL was killing it. Could breathe life into a second unit/give him the option to switch it up in a tough playoff series when all eyes are on Hughes

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would agree with this.  Boston is a much better fit, especially now that Krug is leaving.  And Boston's window is now, so OEL fits their timeline.  

But Krug wants to stay so why not just sign him and save the assets. It's weird. 

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Let's not forget Newell Brown was an assistant/the PP coach in Arizona when OEL was killing it. Could breathe life into a second unit/give him the option to switch it up in a tough playoff series when all eyes are on Hughes

TBH I would put OEL on the #1 unit with Hughes and drop Horvat to the 2nd unit with Boeser. Have OJ/Myers man the 2nd unit.

the #1 unit likes to use that left shot on the left side of Hughes to walk in and look for either a shot with traffic or a cross-ice pass to Petey or down low to Tofu to set up the bumper in Miller(Usually Horvat) and OEL would fit nicely there. OEL and Hughes could rotate too giving teams trouble.

2nd Unit would have Bo Boeser and probably Gaudette which isn't bad forward personnel. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, hudsonkid said:

Why give up anything for OEL. With that contract his value is zero in a trade. We have Ericksson with less than zero value in a trade but only 2 years left on his contract. Eriicksson and OJ for OEL. That's my offer. Think about being stuck with that crazy contract for 6 years. Big risk.

lol the hell you smoking? OEL have 0 trade value because of his contract? i guess Roman Josi is worth a bag of puck with his 9mil+ cap even though he just won the norris. same with the forwards that are signed to big contracts into their mid 30s. they all have zero trade values.. who cares if they are top 5 or 10 point producers in the league no one wants them. gimme a break.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

TBH I would put OEL on the #1 unit with Hughes and drop Horvat to the 2nd unit with Boeser. Have OJ/Myers man the 2nd unit.

the #1 unit likes to use that left shot on the left side of Hughes to walk in and look for either a shot with traffic or a cross-ice pass to Petey or down low to Tofu to set up the bumper in Miller(Usually Horvat) and OEL would fit nicely there. OEL and Hughes could rotate too giving teams trouble.

2nd Unit would have Bo Boeser and probably Gaudette which isn't bad forward personnel. 

I dunno if rolling the 1st unit with two LHD playing the point would be the go-to, maybe used in certain circumstances, but you never know..

Pettersson - Miller - Toffoli

Hughes - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

OEL - Myers

Not a bad two units regardless. Would be good to have one more solid winger but we'll see what options Benning has

Edited by Teemu Selänne

46 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not going to change people's minds.  But mine won't be either.

I don't bank on "a" player to be that it factor anymore...this is part of why our team is finding success...because of the chemistry and that there really isn't ego in the room.   The guys who play for each other - total team buy in.  A guy who's "deciding" who he will grace with his presence that comes with a very high price tag over a long duration who's also entering the down side of his career is a no for me.  

Not sorry.

What happened to keeping the core young/fast?  Not committing long term with big numbers?  Developing from within?  Patience?  

I am just getting up to speed on this rumour, but OEL would be a nice veteran replacement for Eagle and/or Tanev if that time is coming up sooner than later. 

The guy has been on a crappy poor Phoenix/Arizona team for his whole career he must be salivating at the chance of playoffs and the luxury of a generous owner willing to spend to win