The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes loses Calder

Rate this topic

grandmaster

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

I have heard the radio guys ask a lot of their guests who they would want out of the three young elite D and every one of them said Makar, even the ones who said they would have voted for Hughes as the Calder winner this year.

We don't have to get upset that there are other great young players out there or that it minimizes the fact Hughes is already the best defenceman that has ever been on the team.

I am not upset at all. I expected this and see why they voted that way.  I am saying that Hughes is a year younger, and had, arguably an equal year, playing on a worse team.  Makar is awesome and Canadian and came out of the Alberta Junior league.  I am a big fan.  But if I was a GM, I would take Hughes.  He just seems a bit more unique to me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Samgagner'sface said:

Silver lining, was winning the Calder going to affect our cap?  Is there a performance bonus that gets tacked on to the salary cap  for the Calder winner ?

Apparently he had already hit the max for bonuses this year 

• Thanks 1

I am just thrilled to have Quinn Hughes. 

I think he is probably the better player of the two overall.

I won't even pretend to be nonbiased though.

I hope to see 15 years of playoff battles between the two.

I really wanted to see the Canucks vs. Avs in the playoffs this year but didn't get my wish.

So fun when those two teams play last couple of years.

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It was Murat Ates who gave a first-place vote to Adam Fox.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RUV95kCzXunhJgyQP4Qi4TwsR7kB4Oy9/view

Almost feels like I’m reading something confidential haha

Interesting to see who voted for here.

“That’s a small Body” Brian Burke voting for Hughes 

1 hour ago, canucklehead80 said:

Makar COULD WIN a norris one day......Quinn WILL BE A PERENNIAL Norris favorite year in and year out

Could I borrow your crystal/ magic 8 ball too?  
There's quite a few young guns around the league so I wouldn't be so sure.  Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Jones, Werenski, even guys like Provorov/ Sergachev (depends where he goes and if he's a #1 LD)/ Chabot (depends on what kind of help he gets from the Sens)/ Ryan Pulock/ DeAngelo?  I'm sure I'm missing some.

31 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

I think the Calder voting should go to the rookie with the most points, not by some secret ballot of personal preference, just stupid.

So you think they should change the award to Rookie with the most points like an Art Ross but for rookies? No goalies? Probably never see a defencemen win again either ( was a special year for rookie Dman)