The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Nice to see. But based on some of the highlights I’m looking at the overall level of competition in this league looks to be pretty mediocre. 

Wait a minute......was that a reality-based, objective observation that you just made in our Prospects forum!!  Talk like that has NO place here,,.... get 'im CDC.

Release The Hounds GIFs | Tenor

Mestis is the Finnish AHL. Obviously not the toughest competition but the production is still encouraging. Here are some recent numbers from similarly aged Finnish defenseman in the same league:

Olli Määttä - 25 games 1 goal 5 assists

Esa Lindell - 35 games 6 goals 9 assists

Markus Nutivarra - 13 games 0 goals 5 assists

Mikko Lehtonen - 65 games 5 goals 22 assists

Sami Niku - 76 games 3 goals 27 assists

Joni Jurmo - 7 games 3 goals 2 assists

Not exactly top tier but shows production in this league can translate to a top 6 NHL Dman.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
Grammar
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, warrchief said:

I wonder if he makes the leap to AHL action next season if he is eligible. I think they could use a guy like him with Rathbone probably graduating to the big club. 

Whoa there big fella, Mestis League is 2nd division in the Finnish league  LOL

23 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Whoa there big fella, Mestis League is 2nd division in the Finnish league  LOL

Whats wrong with bringing him to the AHL? I am sure he'd be a good fit even if he is Mestis kids from the CHL and NCAA make the leap every year once they are eligible. I am sure Jurmo will have some growing pains but I'd figure it would be a better place to grow rather than Mestis. Plus, you got to learn the NA pro game some day.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Whats wrong with bringing him to the AHL? I am sure he'd be a good fit even if he is Mestis kids from the CHL and NCAA make the leap every year once they are eligible. I am sure Jurmo will have some growing pains but I'd figure it would be a better place to grow rather than Mestis. Plus, you got to learn the NA pro game some day.

Expectations can get away from you. He may in fact do that but I don't think it's any think to come near to reality

On March 26, 2021 at 12:49 PM, warrchief said:

Nothing at all wrong with that idea. Better to ignore the mindless ranting of the "realistic fans".

• Cheers 1

The Canucks hold his rights till 2024 so there is no rush to bring him over or sign him. Not likely they will make a decision on him till much closer to that time.

In the time between now and then they will monitor whether he is continuing to develop his skills or whether he plateaus at a certain point and falls short of what is needed to be worthy of an ELC. Time will tell.

I like him as a prospect but have liked many in the past that have fallen short of expectations and at best only got a cup of coffee at the NHL level. Here is hoping that he is one that makes it.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The Canucks hold his rights till 2024 so there is no rush to bring him over or sign him. Not likely they will make a decision on him till much closer to that time.

In the time between now and then they will monitor whether he is continuing to develop his skills or whether he plateaus at a certain point and falls short of what is needed to be worthy of an ELC. Time will tell.

I like him as a prospect but have liked many in the past that have fallen short of expectations and at best only got a cup of coffee at the NHL level. Here is hoping that he is one that makes it.

Good points.  After all, the kid is just 18yrs.  If he can make the jump to SM-Liiga he could be playing in an adult pro league in his own country.  The Fins have developed many NHL players over the years.  There's plenty of time for the AHL (if needed) farther down the road.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Good points.  After all, the kid is just 18yrs.  If he can make the jump to SM-Liiga he could be playing in an adult pro league in his own country.  The Fins have developed many NHL players over the years.  There's plenty of time for the AHL (if needed) farther down the road.

It’s probably a complete coincidence but do you ever notice how the Fins rarely pump out a top pairing Dman? I am drawing a blank here, I can’t even think of one. 

10 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

It’s probably a complete coincidence but do you ever notice how the Fins rarely pump out a top pairing Dman? I am drawing a blank here, I can’t even think of one. 

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nationality/finnish-nhl-defensemen-career-stats.html

Teppo Numminen
2 CA Kimmo Timonen
3 CA Jyrki Lumme
4 CA Risto Siltanen
5 CA Reijo Ruotsalainen
6 CA Sami Salo
7 CA Janne Niinimaa
8 CA Joni Pitkänen
9 CA Toni Lydman
10 CA Rasmus Ristolainen
11 CA Sami Vatanen
12 CA Pekka Rautakallio
13 CA Hannu Virta
14 CA Olli Määttä
15 CA Janne Laukkanen
16 CA Kari Eloranta
17 CA Esa Lindell
18 CA Aki-Petteri Berg
19 CA Miro Heiskanen
20 CA Ville Siren
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I don't recall anyone on here thinking that Jurmo was going to be a top pairing Dman. He is more likely going to be on the 2nd pairing but that is OK too as we need a lot of different skill sets on the D.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Don’t get me wrong, great players but when you compare them to the forwards that have come out of Finland and even Goalies it seems like the d are disproportionately lagging.