The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks extend qualifying offers to 7 players

55 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Tough to see Stecher not get qualified. But, if we get OEL and promote Juolevi, there may not be room for him.

I'm connecting dots and speculating but not qualifying Stecher could mean that the OEL deal has become a long shot.

Because if OEL is in, Tanev is out because of the math.  If Tanev and Stecher are out, then Benning would have to find 2 right handers.  You may get away with Rafferty or Benn on the 3rd pair but neither can play top 4.  Then you're screwed trying to find a top 4 defensive RHD.  If Stecher was still around, you could make do with him partnering with OEL for a year.

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:
1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

I'm connecting dots and speculating but not qualifying Stecher could mean that the OEL deal has become a long shot.

OEL or Hughes could play the right side if Benning decided OEL was his preference.

2 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

OEL or Hughes could play the right side if Benning decided OEL was his preference.

I don't see OEL and Hughes paired together if that's what you're implying.  They're both offensive types and PP QB's.

But ya, that's an option

51 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Guess Benning wants to try Juolevi, Rafferty, Benn, and Fantenberg all to fight for both bottom pairing spots. Top two win the jobs. 

Problem with that is just because 2 of them will win the job, doesn't mean they'll do a good job. 

I hope Benning has something more concrete and reliable in mind, unless they're completely convinced the two kids are ready for regular roles on a good team (which isn't always a sound plan - remember McCann and Virtanen).

Edited by kanucks25

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't see OEL and Hughes paired together if that's what you're implying.  They're both offensive types and PP QB's.

Agreed. OEL would make us deeper and has that offensive flair that nobody on our current D has outside of Hughes who is unbelievably dynamic. I guess Myers would be our 2nd most dangerous offensive threat from D, so adding OEL would be nice. Although the contract is a doozy. Can't see how this happens without Ericsson going back.

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Guess Benning wants to try Juolevi, Rafferty, Benn, and Fantenberg all to fight for both bottom pairing spots. Top two win the jobs. 

Nice....Brisebois needs to be thrown into the mix as well.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

What's holding up Bailey, Brisebois and Chatfield resigning? It's not as though they have many options.

they might be considering playing in Europe. Its also priorities, they're pretty far down the line and their rights are locked up anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

they might be considering playing in Europe. Its also priorities, they're pretty far down the line and their rights are locked up anyway. 

But when the offer is made, Bennings role is finished - no?  They just have to put pen to paper.  What is there for the agent to negotiate - beer money?  Or are they asking for more than the qualifying minimum? Not much leverage I would guess.

And dont they need our approval to play for a European team?

Edited by Googlie

Just now, Googlie said:

But when the offer is made, Bennings role is finished - no?  They just have to put pen to paper.  What is there for the agent to negotiate - beer money?  Or are they asking for more than the qualifying minimum? Not much leverage I would guess.

thats why I suggested Europe, thats an option for them if they don't accept the QO. 

I assume that Goldy and Boucher needed our approval cos they were still under contract.  The 3 amigos aren't, although we own their rights.  Maybe that's a difference?  Similar to Tram who bolted to the KHL rather than sign after his ELC

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Googlie said:

And dont they need our approval to play for a European team?

Qualifying offer lapse after a certain time unless the team asks for an extension.  Teams still keep the player's rights but instead have to negotiate a contract.  This year qualifying offers automatically expired on 18 October (unless teams asked for an extension).  

ELCs are two-way contracts and the AHL salary on an ELC can't exceed 70K.  Players like Brisebois might be looking to get a bit more in the AHL.  They might also be looking to negotiate a minimum income for the season.

They would need approval if they are under contract - it's then a loan.  Otherwise it's like a Tryamkin situation where they just decided to leave - the Canucks would retain their rights as they've been qualified.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Qualifying offer lapse after a certain time unless the team asks for an extension.  Teams still keep the player's rights but instead have to negotiate a contract.  This year qualifying offers automatically expired on 18 October (unless teams asked for an extension).  

ELCs are two-way contracts and the AHL salary on an ELC can't exceed 70K.  Players like Brisebois might be looking to get a bit more in the AHL.  They might also be looking to negotiate a minimum income for the season.

They would need approval if they are under contract - it's then a loan.  Otherwise it's like a Tryamkin situation where they just decided to leave - the Canucks would retain their rights as they've been qualified.  

I didn't realize the QOs had expired. 

I could see Breezy getting a bit more on his 2 way deal, maybe 200k?