The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Jacob Markstrom

4 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

It's like this on HF as well. While I think Marky is a stud I think a lot of issues seemed to get ignored. People act like we only won because of him but we were top 5 In GF and 22nd in GAA iirc. There's no doubt he stole games for us but there were many games the opposite was true as well.

He also allowed the first goal or two early and often, which forced the team to open things up more and he tended to get rattled after a goal causing a lot of 2 goals in quick succession scenarios. But because we were so good offensively more often then not it ended up being moot and the good far out-weighed the bad.

What made me hope we parted ways (besides contract) was I never felt truly comfortable with any lead we had. We must have been near the bottom in blowing 2 and 3 goal leads. Combine that with his overall play in the bubble which was very streaky and I'm not sure he's the guy to get us to the finish line.

Demko to me has ice in his veins and I honestly felt more secure with Demko who seems to always be square to the puck.

I wish him all the best and look forward to our new tandem, the fact Ian pushed for Holtby makes me think he saw something in Holtby that he believes he could work with or correct, that would get him back to his elite-level game.

This is how I felt most of last season with Markstrom in net... And how I felt most of the games that he played. I was waiting for that inevitable garbage goal that no NHL goalie should be allowing. 

I remember when Luongo first came over, I had 100% faith in his abilities, he was something else. On a breakaway I wouldn't even flinch because I always had the feeling like he'd make an amazing save. Markstrom however, I was always grinding my teeth hoping he'd make the save. 

But then he'd have the game like he had against the Rangers with the two pad stack save that was earmarked for the back of the net and totally blow you away. He was almost bi-polar in net. 

I have to say I definitely won't miss him randomly charging out of the net on a 50/50 chance play... That drove me right up the wall when he'd do that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Without Markstrom the Canucks wouldn't have got past Minnie. Opps, forgot about Demko. Calgary hasn't had goal tending for a few years so I can see why they gave Marky such a deal. Now all we have to do is put up with Hrudy's crowing. 

We beat them 3-1. Marky was meh in game one, almost blew a 3 goal lead in game 2, was great in game 3, terrible in game four. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Greenman Wannabe said:

This is how I felt most of last season with Markstrom in net... And how I felt most of the games that he played. I was waiting for that inevitable garbage goal that no NHL goalie should be allowing. 

I remember when Luongo first came over, I had 100% faith in his abilities, he was something else. On a breakaway I wouldn't even flinch because I always had the feeling like he'd make an amazing save. Markstrom however, I was always grinding my teeth hoping he'd make the save. 

But then he'd have the game like he had against the Rangers with the two pad stack save that was earmarked for the back of the net and totally blow you away. He was almost bi-polar in net. 

I have to say I definitely won't miss him randomly charging out of the net on a 50/50 chance play... That drove me right up the wall when he'd do that. 

Glad I'm not the only one. I expected to get crucified for saying anything negative.

What was his injury in the Playoffs? I remember him making an awkward save and getting up slowly. The commentators thought that maybe he was injured, then he kept playing.  If it was a groin, that could recur. We'll see.

Sweep the leg!!!   thassajoke

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

He turns 31 in January.

The contract will end when he's 37.

I'm glad he got his money but that contract is gonna be an anchor in 3-4 years from now.

While that's not how maths works, I agree with the sentiment.

I really like Marky and I'm not gonna enjoy watching him in Calgary, but there's no way 6x6 for him in the current market is a good idea. It's possible he'll be great but there's a lot of risk. If he's still playing well in 2026 I'd be up for bringing him in to backup Demko and/or DiPietro.

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Glad I'm not the only one. I expected to get crucified for saying anything negative.

Markstrom has had a great run but I share many of the sentiments in your and the quoted post. 

I like Markstrom and it has been awesome to see him turn his game around over the past 18-months, but to me there were still many question marks about whether he can continue playing at that level for the long term.  Injury concerns are one thing but Markstrom also took a very long time to find the form he has had for the past 18-months.  The physical tools have always been there.  It's what made Markstrom such a highly touted prospect and was presumably why the Canucks took him back in the Luongo deal.  Most of the problems with Markstrom's play have generally seemed to be mental.

For Markstrom's sake, I hope he is able to continue his high level of play for the long term (except when playing the Canucks of course).  I find it nice to see players reach their potential and for the last 18-months, Markstom has done that and I hope he can continue it.

For Canucks management, I can fully understand their concern about committing to Markstrom long term particularly when they have been grooming Demko and clearly have confidence in Demko's progression in such a way that they could lose Demko for nothing due to the expansion draft.  With the glut of decent free agent goalies, it seemed like a reasonable choice to not potentially hamstring the team particularly if Marky's health declines or his game returns to where it was before the past 18-months.  Ultimately that's what the Canucks have opted to do.  While there are still many question marks, bringing in a guy like Holtby at least provides a fair replacement for Markstrom and for a term that makes sense for Demko to eventually be handed the reins.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

To be honest, I am still a Marky fan but I do believe he got to the point of being overvalued.  I admire him putting it all together to be a true #1 but I don't think I believe the comments of him as a top 5 goalie.  He finally became that true number 1, but top 5 never felt quite right.  

He managed to a be very strong all around goalie and put in the work to get there which I admired.  There was one thing that always nagged me.  His glove hand was always weaker than most and it actually made me wonder if he should have played baseball as a kid and whether that actually factors into it at all.  May actually be a leg up for our American goalies.  ::D

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

I love Markstrom but damn that contract is difficult to digests with all the contacts that we currently have plus the upcoming signings of EP and QH.

Terrible contract, glad it was signed in cowtown.

Marky will have 2 years in a row where he makes 8 million

13 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

What was his injury in the Playoffs? I remember him making an awkward save and getting up slowly. The commentators thought that maybe he was injured, then he kept playing.  If it was a groin, that could recur. We'll see.

Sweep the leg!!!   thassajoke

Actually I don't recall, but I know he has had some reoccurring knee issues in the past. I'm kind of surprised there's no news of the Flames giving him a physical.  6x6 is an absolutely awful contract to be giving out right now. No one lives up to these long deals with more than 5 years of term on them anymore. 

15 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

I totally get what you are saying.

I remember the first 4 - 5 years of Luongo where you just knew he was going to make the save.  I've never had that much confidence in our goaltending or any one player until Marky this year.  Signing Holtby was the right move.  Hes only 31 and has proven to be a capable number 1 in this league.    

• Cheers 1

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

Terrible contract, glad it was signed in cowtown.

Marky will have 2 years in a row where he makes 8 million

Especially with Demko and Dipetro coming up. No reason to sign a 30 year old to that contract. Also, It not like he has been elite the entire time he was here. Markstroms requests felt like he was forcing the Canucks to announce him as number 1 goalie for years to come and ignore Demko.

Overall, I am happy with our current goalie situation. Good luck to Marky who played his butt off for us and good luck in Calgary.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1