The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Agreed. We don't have the same internal fixes for D right now. I still predict a Tampa trade incoming.

Sounds like a difficult trading partner. Two teams who desperately need to dump salary and not keen on taking an excess penny more.

Just now, EmilyM said:

Sounds like a difficult trading partner. Two teams who desperately need to dump salary and not keen on taking an excess penny more.

We can unload a contract Benning just has to be willing to pay to do it.

One deal to Ottawa with Eriksson and a young asset and then a separate trade with Tampa.

Doesnt seem too far fetched.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I completely disagree. We do not currently need to dump salary at all, let alone desperately. We just let a number of contracts go, we have, if I remember correctly, about 8 million in cap. More money coming off the books over the next few years. Tampa needs to dump the position we need to pick up. Seems like a very logical trade partner in my eyes.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Sadly, maybe Linden was right. Maybe we should have stayed committed to a rebuild. There was lots of talk that Linden was looking heavily into rebuilds and how other teams managed them. Now we are a team with playoff level cap, but a borderline lottery level team. We reached the playoffs a year too early. That is one of the most Canuck things we could do. Reach the playoffs during a season with a deep draft. With no 1st or 2nd rounders AND no cap to retain the talented players cause we still have guys signed when we were rebuilding. Lol. Covid also kicked us in the nuts, but it kicked every team in the nuts.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

We can unload a contract Benning just has to be willing to pay to do it.

One deal to Ottawa with Eriksson and a young asset and then a separate trade with Tampa.

Doesnt seem too far fetched.

I sure hope you're right. But considering how long we've been trying to move Loui, the economy crumbling to its knees doesn't exactly make me confident it's going to happen at this point especially when compounded by the rest of the teams trying to get in on the cap dump sweepstakes.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Sadly, maybe Linden was right. Maybe we should have stayed committed to a rebuild. There was lots of talk that Linden was looking heavily into rebuilds and how other teams managed them. Now we are a team with playoff level cap, but a borderline lottery level team. We reached the playoffs a year too early. That is one of the most Canuck things we could do. Reach the playoffs during a season with a deep draft. With no 1st or 2nd rounders AND no cap to retain the talented players cause we still have guys signed when we were rebuilding. Lol. Covid also kicked us in the nuts, but it kicked every team in the nuts.

Honestly we are laughing cap wise in 2 years by not making these signings the last few days 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

And for Vancouver to give up another 1st rounder

For this argument to hold any value, you will need to be arguing that JT Miller was not worth the cost of admission. If, and that's a big if, Benning trades a first and gets equal or greater value then it's a good trade. Miller has so far been a great value trade.

Not only that, but you are creating a narrative that's hasn't even come to pass when you talk about trading "another first"

• Upvote 1