The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

The problem is that even if we can find a Tanev replacement and "break even" heading into next season, we were barely a playoff team last year. And now we'll be going into the season without our MVP of the last two seasons.

But with the young talents, they can get better. Expect QH, EP, BB all get better. Even Bo, Demko.  It isn't like they are on a downward trend. They haven't even peaked. But depth is an issue.  Not sure which of the youngers can play. OJ, Rathbone, Pod, Hoglander etc. I'm not worried yet. Still lot of time to make changes. We don't even know Jan will be the next season.  This Covid will burn through US until a real president is in charge of the federal government. 

Just now, Devron44 said:

I guess we just plainly can’t afford it when we need defencemen. I would have like Toffoli back really would but I’m honestly not worried about our forward group right now. We are still fairly strong there 

Agree, forward is the least of our concern atm. We need a top 4 RHD.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, thundernuts said:

Yeah.  That Pietrangelo guy is a real bargain:bigblush:

I hear you, but there are still players out there and... I do think there is a trade in the works.  Time will tell.

He's not signing in Vancouver so why even pretend he's available to us?  He's going to sign in Vegas.

Same with Hoffman, and Dadanov,  both would be nice additions to our top 6 but they aren't signing here.

The players we could realistically sign that are left on the ufa market are not upgrades to Toffoli or Tanev..

Holy what a bargain. 

I'm really starting to lose my patience with Benning now... we absolutely should've and could've matched if he didn't hand out overpayed contracts to a bunch of 3/4th liners and it doesn't take any hindsight to see that those were mistakes at the time of the signings.

It's really hard to look forward to much next season.

20 minutes ago, bree2 said:

really cause Benning was okay with throwing money at OEL 

We don't know this to be true. When an exceptional D-man states Boston and Vancouver as two options he will accept it would be ludicrous for Benning to not at least kick the tires and investigate. Did he make the deal? No. Why? A large contract and they likely didn't want to take back the people and contracts we offered. Or possible it never happened at all.

Relax and stop believing everything you read.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Demko has had double hip surgery before the age of 23.  

To choose Demko over Markstrom was not what I would have done but he definitely has the potential to he a top tier goalie in the NHL.  Its just a riskier choice.  Especially after spending 7 years developing Markstrom just to let him walk to a division rival right at the beginning of his prime

Even if it doesnt pan out, we have DiPietro in the system as well

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I agree with you. I thought the possible problem with TT would be term. JB has some CAP space i might spend some of that on his d-core which is more important than forwards. That said he has to find TOI for his young d-men. If the goal is CUP contention 23-24 he he has to know what they can bring in time to make changes if that is needed. Brisbois, OJ, Chatfield, and Rafferty. Rathbone has also moved quickly although a year of AHL is likely if the AHL runs. 

IMHO the playoff success this year has left fans a tad to overoptimistic. Marky was the MVP for a reason. The young core has to get morre experience and lots of TOI. 

This is incredibly important, but also a delicate dance. 

For me, one of those guys has to make the team out of camp and have a spot in the top 6 somewhere.  Like you said, we need to start seeing what we have now, doubly as Edler won't last forever.  Let the best one take it (going to assume it's Juolevi or Rafferty).  Another one can be the 7th dman and he'll get a lot of playing time because injuries will happen (or sit Benn every so often if they don't). 

I still see the need for a Tanev replacement (a solid top 4 RD that can kill penalties). Putting any of those guys in that role right now may be asking too much, imo.

Depth chart on D, right now, looks like:

Hughes                Myers

Edler                    Benn

Juolevi                 Rafferty

Brisebois             Chatfield

Rathbone

I really think one more solid RD won't take too much time away from the young D that earn it.  There would still be 3 prospects in the top 8 hopefully getting enough NHL minutes to develop and if they really impressed it's not hard to sit Benn to get them more icetime.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Pretty soon it's that 'FREE' box at the end of the driveway after a garage sale.  With one shoe with a hole in it and a bunch of tupperware lids.

But I did find a signed Linden picture and the Pearl Jam demo CD in there so....

My initial reaction is panic because we're giving but not getting anything in return.  But the spot we're in meant clearing out some players so.....w/e.

Getting a little panicky for sure, but I for one, am glad to see a little prudence this offseason.  I just wish it had been there in past seasons to avoid some of the poor signings. 

At the end of the day, looking at Cap Friendly, the majority of teams have some unpleasant contracts.  The good news for the Canucks is that their bad contracts are only a year or two from being off the books.  If the choice is to cut costs and take a little step back, I'm OK with that.

Of course, everything could change with a trade and/or signing in the next few months, so I'm doing my best to practice patience.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1