The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Caufield seems like a very talented young player but I’m not sure he can be labeled an elite superstar yet.

Lets see what he can do next season first.

yeah thats a little early :lol: 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Caufield seems like a very talented young player but I’m not sure he can be labeled an elite superstar yet.

Lets see what he can do next season first.

He's gonna be an elite sniper... you can see it already.  His release is elite level.  He'll need the right line mates though.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

He's gonna be an elite sniper... you can see it already.  His release is elite level.  He'll need the right line mates though.

Elite sniper?

Again lets wait and see. An elite sniper is a 40+ goal scorer. I’m not sure that’s a realistic expectation of him.

Im sure Habs fans would be happy with a 30 goal scoring 70-80 point guy in his prime.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Elite sniper?

Again lets wait and see. An elite sniper is a 40+ goal scorer. I’m not sure that’s a realistic expectation of him.

Im sure Habs fans would be happy with a 30 goal scoring 70-80 point guy in his prime.

Obviously we'll have to wait and see... but that release of his can't be taught.  He's the all time record holder for goals in a season for the NTDP.

Kessel hit 52 goals twice.

P. Kane also hit 52 goals.

Matthews at 2nd place had 55 goals in a single season.

Caufield?  He holds 3rd and 1st... 54 goals in 2017-18... but get this...

72 goals in 2018-19.  He obliterated the record book.

If he wasn't so small, he would have been drafted in the Top 3.

5 hours ago, AC Readership said:

No

The prospect pool is average to bad, need to add a lot more to it. Giving away picks doesn't do that, if anything get more picks.

Really?

If you thought our prospect pool was bad, you should've seen what it was like under Gillis. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Elite sniper?

He's got an excellent shot, with excellent shot placement. He's proven so much already in this playoffs, especially playing with Suzuki.

Cole Caufield might have been small, but there's no reason that he can't be an elite sniper, if he isn't already. His size is somewhat mitigated playing on a team that has plenty of size to support him. Suzuki's not even that big of a guy, but his skill is off the charts good. Size advantage is a bias that has been challenged by a shift/skill advantage.

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Obviously we'll have to wait and see... but that release of his can't be taught.  He's the all time record holder for goals in a season for the NTDP.

Yes he has a phenomenal shot and he could very well end up an elite sniper but as for his 72 goals in 2018-19, he had the advantage of playing on probably the best USNTDP team in history. 8 players on that team were 1st round picks in 2019

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ray Ferraro’s brother-in-law Tony Granato was Caufield’s coach at Wisconsin and told Ray that “Cole has elite, elite, elite sense and shot.” Ray also says that he is a legit 30 goal scorer who uplifts his team with energy and enthusiasm like Brad Marchand or Brendan Gallagher.  I just posted his interview from Donnie & Dahli where he talks about him on the Sedin’s thread.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looking at MTL, there are several reasons for their success, but 3 come to mind:

1. Great goaltending (Price)

2. Draft elite superstar (Caufield)

3. Sign and trade for the right players (Toffoli, Suzuki, Anderson, Perry)

I feel the Canucks might have 2 of the 3, but haven't been able to surround the young stars with the right players. Miller and Hamonic are the exceptions IMO. Is Pearson really that valuable a player? Sutter, Roussel, Beagle and Edler are all declining fast. 

As for Caufield, the size of the heart matters most.  Does Lysell possess the same confidence, skill, toughness and desire?  If so, get that guy! 

You forgot the overpaid bottom 6 players like Byron, they got those as well. We’re really at 3 out of 4 ;) 

54 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Really?

If you thought our prospect pool was bad, you should've seen what it was like under Gillis. :lol:

Sure, having lots of kids in the pool is nice but I'm more than happy with the guys we've got on the deck, drying off, getting dressed and getting ready to serve.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He's got an excellent shot, with excellent shot placement. He's proven so much already in this playoffs, especially playing with Suzuki.

Cole Caufield might have been small, but there's no reason that he can't be an elite sniper, if he isn't already. His size is somewhat mitigated playing on a team that has plenty of size to support him. Suzuki's not even that big of a guy, but his skill is off the charts good. Size advantage is a bias that has been challenged by a shift/skill advantage.

Lots of players have elite shots, doesn’t mean they hit 40+ goals in the NHL. That would put him in the top 10-15 goal scorers in most seasons.

He may hit that mark but acting like it’s likely because of his US Development program stats is a bit of a stretch.

16 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Ray Ferraro’s brother-in-law Tony Granato was Caufield’s coach at Wisconsin and told Ray that “Cole has elite, elite, elite sense and shot.” Ray also says that he is a legit 30 goal scorer who uplifts his team with energy and enthusiasm like Brad Marchand or Brendan Gallagher.  I just posted his interview from Donnie & Dahli where he talks about him on the Sedin’s thread.

Hype and reality don’t always meet.

Im sure he’ll be a good player but we’ve seen lots of hype from prospects performing early on fizzle out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If you only looked at Joel Kirivanta in last year’s playoffs, you would’ve thought very highly of him too.  

Id like to see how Cole does next year in the regular season before passing judgment but so far so good! 

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hype and reality don’t always meet.

Im sure he’ll be a good player but we’ve seen lots of hype from prospects performing early on fizzle out.

Yup. Didn’t Fabian Brunnstrom score a hat trick in his first NHL game and every Canucks fan was upset cause we never signed him?  

Caulfield looks like he’s gonna be a player but I’d wait until he plays a full NHL season before I would start comparing him to Marchand and Gallagher. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup. Didn’t Fabian Brunnstrom score a hat trick in his first NHL game and every Canucks fan was upset cause we never signed him?  

Caulfield looks like he’s gonna be a player but I’d wait until he plays a full NHL season before I would start comparing him to Marchand and Gallagher. 

Podz>>>Caulfield

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looking at MTL, there are several reasons for their success, but 3 come to mind:

1. Great goaltending (Price)

2. Draft elite superstar (Caufield)

3. Sign and trade for the right players (Toffoli, Suzuki, Anderson, Perry)

I feel the Canucks might have 2 of the 3, but haven't been able to surround the young stars with the right players. Miller and Hamonic are the exceptions IMO. Is Pearson really that valuable a player? Sutter, Roussel, Beagle and Edler are all declining fast. 

As for Caufield, the size of the heart matters most.  Does Lysell possess the same confidence, skill, toughness and desire?  If so, get that guy! 

1. Agreed

2. Disagree - insert Shea Weber here

3. Agreed - one of his best trades was to get Staal

48 minutes ago, Isam said:

Still liking jake martin. In the fourth or fith. Just have a feeling teams  are going to overvalue guys like morrow dropping some really good players down to the later rounds

Jim always seems to do well with later picks - wouldn't mind getting an extra 2nd rd pick as there are some possible gems there

• Like 1