The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

Watching our ufa players sign affordable deals elsewhere sucked but a trade like this is how you get better.  Timeline lines up for when Horvat and miller are in their prime and Petey, Hughes and Boeser are continuing to get better.  We have some young depth coming up throughout the lineup.  Exciting times ahead.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So far, none of these GMs based on analytics have shown they're any better than a GM not based on analytics. Realistically, you probably need a hybrid between the 2, but analytics should never be used as the eyes of the organization but more as a compliment to confirm the eye test.

as a tool to augment your scouting and player assessments its fine. I wouldn't want my teams GM to use it as a primary decision driver. 

The fact is, no analytics system can tell you anything about whats going to happen in the future.You can use it to guess, but I don't believe its possible at all to know with any greater certainty using analytics what a player will do in the future with new team mates and new coaching systems. 

1 minute ago, flat land fish said:

Watching our ufa players sign affordable deals elsewhere sucked but a trade like this is how you get better.  Timeline lines up for when Horvat and miller are in their prime and Petey, Hughes and Boeser are continuing to get better.  We have some young depth coming up throughout the lineup.  Exciting times ahead.

I'd say Toffoli is the only one that got away, and even then they were probably willing to cut him loose.

7 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

it all depends n whether or not we go the 8 skater  protection route or the 7F/3D route. We'll have to see what our roster is in a few months. 

No reason to go the 8 skater. Hughes is exempt. We protect: Schmidt, Juolevi and one of: Myers, Chatfield, Rafferty, Brisebois. Unless we pick up another D then we protect them. Don't think Seattle would take Myers and if they did that wouldn't be the worst thing. 

We look in good shape for the expansion draft. Will likely loose either: Holtby, a 4th liner (Motte, MacEwan) or a B/C grade prospect (Lind, Chatfield, Rafferty, Brisebois).

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Tower102 said:

No reason to go the 8 skater. Hughes is exempt. We protect: Schmidt, Juolevi and one of: Myers, Chatfield, Rafferty, Brisebois. Unless we pick up another D then we protect them. Don't think Seattle would take Myers and if they did that wouldn't be the worst thing. 

We look in good shape for the expansion draft. Will likely loose either: Holtby, a 4th liner (Motte, MacEwan) or a B/C grade prospect (Lind, Chatfield, Rafferty, Brisebois).

thats probably the likely scenario right there. What we don't know yet is how those3 will perform yet. Lots of hockey to be played before expansion. 

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If I read one more comment on how Schmidt's contract is 'bad' or 'concerning'....:lol:

Seriously though, on what planet is $5.9m for a UFA aged, #2D a 'bad' or 'concerning'?! Some of you need to look around at what non RFA/ELC D sign for! It's arguably one of the better UFA D contacts in the league!

I'm not even going to bother with the managing and weaponizing...good grief :lol:

he's got a great buyout too if need be. This guy/contract isn't something we need to worry about for a while. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say Toffoli is the only one that got away, and even then they were probably willing to cut him loose.

I think they wanna save any money they have for another addition on D.

If we do add a winger I’m thinking they want them to be bigger and play with speed.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think they wanna save any money they have for another addition on D.

If we do add a winger I’m thinking they want them to be bigger and play with speed.

A winger who is bigger with speed you say? I think I know of just the man, and 80% of CDC want him gone...

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

thats probably the likely scenario right there. What we don't know yet is how those3 will perform yet. Lots of hockey to be played before expansion. 

We've seen some of breezer at the NHL level and I think he's got enough game to, at least, be a decent depth guy.  He's certainly got the skating skills to play at that level

Just now, VforVirtanen said:

A winger who is bigger with speed you say? I think I know of just the man, and 80% of CDC want him gone...

I think they're looking at Jake as being ready for a top 6 role and that's why they let TT go.