The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

6 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I like the fact that he isn’t afraid to drop the gloves from time to time. That was a sore spot with Tanev.

People keep saying this... Nate Schmidt has had two career NHL fights it looks like and none since 2016.

Tanev had a fight this year.

You aren't upgrading our "toughness" with Schmidt at all.  You are downgrading defensive play for upgrading offensive play.  The upgrade is that Schmidt is better defensively than Tanev is offensively.

There’s guys in the system that can fill a 7th dman spot for cheap the last thing we need is another Benn on a multi year deal. If it’s a guy that can play like a Cernak or a Vatanen through FA then sign me up. Where’s the money coming from though? Gotta think Virtanen is gonna cost 2.5+ and Gaudette probably around 1.75. Unless right outta the gate they’re telling Ferland he’s going on LTIR. Then they’ll have around 3.5 mill in cap space.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

People keep saying this... Nate Schmidt has had two career NHL fights it looks like and none since 2016.

You aren't upgrading our "toughness" with Schmidt at all.  You are downgrading defensive play for upgrading offensive play.  The upgrade is that Schmidt is better defensively than Tanev is offensively.

I love Tanev but Im happy we wont be seeing that muffin shot from the blue line killing the play....from the sounds of it Schmidt's shot from the point is a little better...

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Some would consider Schmidt a #2 D-man, and there are numbers to support this.

Ballard was never that. 

That said, as great of a pickup as this is, it doesn't magically turn us into a contender. It's a nice stepping stone, though.

Possible. Like you say, wait and see. I personally would be surprised if he performs at something worse than a #3 D-man level.

It’s a good day to be a fan. 
Cheers 

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The point is he tried to sign those players. Tanev's deal was reportedly similar money to what he signed but for less years, Markstrom's deal was reportedly not much less than what he signed for, Barrie's deal was potentially even more than what he signed for. Any of these deals likely means this Schmidt deal doesn't take place.

He gets credit for not upping his offer out of panic and having the balls to walk away and know that he can salvage the situation, 100%.

Ok I think we are in agreement except that I believe that this absolutely was his master plan. To have several irons in the fire and hold out for bargains. If those bargains came from re-signing existing players on the cheap and with the right term, job done. If not, sign other players for a cheap price tag or trade for good value contracts for peanuts. That was evidently the plan as these negotiations with Vegas had been going on for some time before this happened. I would say it is a resounding success so far.

Will miss Stecher but that is the only loss that I think was a case of the plan going off the rails, and he is very replaceable.

• Cheers 3

Thinking about another defenseman to add, I think Holl out of Toronto would be a great fit. Cheap 2nd/3rd pairing RHD signed for 3 more years. They may be looking to shed a defenseman after signing Brodie and Bogosian. 

Acquire Holl for a 4th, move Benn for future considerations and sign Leivo and Fantenberg

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Schmidt

Juolevi - Holl

Fantenberg, Rafferty

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Schmidt was or is chippier than Tanev, and wouldn’t you be on Washington or Vegas with the insulating muscle players he had? 
Tough? That’s a stretch. 

14 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Benning gets all the credit in the world for both executing this trade and walking away from deals/signings that some fans wanted him to make that would have tied up the cap.

But if anyone is thinking this was all a part of his master plan, well I don't know what to say; it was widely reported that he tried to sign Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli and Barrie, any of these probably wouldn't have made this trade possible.

But, good on him for making things work in the end. Out of all the players mentioned that we were in on, Schmidt is the best out of all of them, at least when it comes to the skaters.

Or maybe he made them offers that he knew they would refuse. A calculated risk. Now instead of just cutting them loose, he made the effort but they chose elsewhere. He avoids a lot of hate spew from the local clowns and their loyal followeres as well as the trolls who pretend to be Canucks fans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

All the numbers? 
I don’t want to split hairs, but this is just subjective a claim, not that I disagree. 

Second most time on ice in both playoffs and regular season next to Theodore.

Highest Quality of competition all season long.

Second on the team in points in the regular season and playoffs.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

You mean Schmidt has had TWICE as many fights as Tanev in their NHL careers? Sweet. Nick “Knuckles” Schmidt.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

I don't get your point. He offered all of those players less money and term than they took elsewhere. That is part of the process of negotiating contracts. He can't literally club those players over the head and make them sign for the term and amount he is willing to pay them for.

His master plan was to find us players that fit our needs at prices and terms that fit our needs without worrying too much about keeping old favourites that weren't willing to be paid what we could afford. He has achieved that precisely by executing patience and not overpaying anyone, including beloved players that many fans would have panic-signed if given the chance.

Toffoli took less money than he made last season

barrie took less money and went to edm.

they offered tanev garbage after the other options fell threw making him feel like a plan c.

markstrom took the money Protection and term.

Jb didnt even try with stecher. 
Schmidt fell in his lap as Vegas needed cap.

And The no plan Plan goes on.... 

Edited by Tracksuit

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd say Toffoli is the only one that got away, and even then they were probably willing to cut him loose.

I'm sure JB tried to clear cap in order to fit Toffoli into the lineup, but not exactly easy to do in the current environment

44 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

But if anyone is thinking this was all a part of his master plan, well I don't know what to say; it was widely reported that he tried to sign Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli and Barrie, any of these probably wouldn't have made this trade possible.

I don't get this whole 'not his plan' criticism that I keep hearing on the radio & reading on twitter. That this merely 'fell into his lap' (despite the fact this Schmidt rumour had been out there for awhile, meaning Vegas had been negotiating with teams - likely including us). 

OEL wasn't his 'plan' either, that also fell into his lap. At one point the 'plan' was for Markstrom merely as a stopgap for Demko. And for Stecher to be apart of the core. And for Tanev to stick around when everyone wanted him traded in '16, exc, exc. Change is the only constant. And I never remember this criticism when Mike Gillis picked up Ehrhoff. Or when other teams have capitalized on market inefficiencies.

The 'plan' changes. Gillis used to always talk about all the different variables - (and around the time of the lockout the 'changing landscape') - that affects trying to acquire players. It's just the way things are. 

And who's to say they weren't aware this was possible beforehand? Everyone knew Vegas's situation regarding going after & fitting in Pietrangelo. Benning called every team & said he had laid groundwork prior to the draft. He might've had this on the burner for awhile, which is maybe why he held firm on the offers for OEL & Tanev. That could be possible too.

Anyways, there are gripes to have - but this isn't one of them IMO

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd say Toffoli is the only one that got away, and even then they were probably willing to cut him loose.

According to Toffoli himself they barely even had discussions.

So yea I would say they went into the offseason fully expecting to let him go. Unless of course some miracle deal for Eriksson came about.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2