The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

3 hours ago, Rabbit said:

I love the Vegas GM, how come he can move such a good dman to Canucks in the same division?

Also there is the return of only the 3rd round pick of two years later.

I guess Benning has made some magic.

Benning had a plan which some people will refuse to believe. It’s called patience and understanding other teams cap situation. Badabing badaboom, forget about it. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Canucks line-up for next season?

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser 

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson 

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter 

Edler-Schmidt 

Hughes-Myers

[Juolevi or Rathbone]-Benn

[Juolevi or Rathbone]

Demko (50/50)

Holtby (50/50)

-Podkolzin possibly arrives at the end of the season of his team gets eliminated.  
-Tryamkin possibly arrives if the Canucks have enough cap space and can sign him to a long term deal.

-Ferland will likely be on LTIR.   If not, then I think Eriksson will get sent to the minors to accommodate his salary.

-Baertschi will be on the farm again.  
-Virtanen willl get somewhere between 2.75 and 3 million per via arbitration.  

That is how it stands at the moment.

I would hope that we can just assume Eriksson is buried and can add a “project” player like Athanasiou for $1 million.  I think Leivo in a similar deal should be an add.

We need to shed cap as it stands, so maybe Gaudette is a casualty in order to get that done, but n which case you just slot Sutter in there.  Maybe Rafferty is who goes, Benning has neglected to say his name a few time’s when mentioning young D who are ready for the NHL.  If we were to make any fancy moves I can see him as an attractive trade chip to either a cap strapped team who needs a cheap prospect or a budget team who wants to a sweetener to take on a contract.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Athanasiou

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Leivo-Sutter

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Benn

Chatfield 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Edlers was a better player and the heart and soul of our d. 

I understand fans on these boards get excited seeing new players on the team but having a 4th dman eat up 6 mill of our cap is going to handcuff us for years down the road.

Benning panicked.  

Hey Eddie, don't quit your day job.

• Haha 2

Solid pickup for a third. 5.9 mil for 5 more years is concerning but it is within Canucks cap structure . The 5.9 mil cap is why they got him for a third round pick.

This shows that you can weponize cap space if you have it. Managing cap space is soooooo important. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Benning had a plan which some people will refuse to believe. It’s called patience and understanding other teams cap situation. Badabing badaboom, forget about it. 

Agreed.  It's tough watching players sign with other teams, but this offseason, the Canucks management have done a good job (so far). 

I, like others, have been critical of some of Benning's past signings.  Fortunately, these bad signings (Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi) will be off the books in 1-2 seasons.  These contracts absolutely hampered the teams ability to improve, but realistically, most teams are dealing with the same issues.

Losing Toffoli hurts a little, as I think his contract with Montreal is very good value.  Stetcher's as well.  

There are at least 2-3 months until the seaon starts, so there is a lot of time to fill out the roster and (hopefully) shed a bad contract or two!

12 hours ago, mll said:

Seattle only has to take 20 players under contract - they can select a UFA from Vancouver rather than have to deal with a poor contract.  Seattle is very much into analytics and already has one of the larger departments.  Alexandra Mandrycky, co-founder of the site war-on-ice, actually helped hire their GM. As part of their GM search they also analysed the efficiency of contracts signed by the different candidates.  

That sure helped Chyka :lol: 

If they pick a UFA thats great too. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

If we manage to get another D I can see it happening.  But with Edler and Hughes exempt, there's no need to expose Myers atm.  Actually, I think Myers gives us some things we still need:  RD, physical, some offense, so I'm happy enough to keep him.  Compare our game with and without him during the playoffs this year:  he's an important part of the mix.  Maybe not the best value, but that's what filling needs in free agency will do.

it all depends n whether or not we go the 8 skater  protection route or the 7F/3D route. We'll have to see what our roster is in a few months. 

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

That sure helped Chyka :lol: 

If they pick a UFA thats great too. 

So far, none of these GMs based on analytics have shown they're any better than a GM not based on analytics. Realistically, you probably need a hybrid between the 2, but analytics should never be used as the eyes of the organization but more as a compliment to confirm the eye test.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NHL'er said:

Swap Eriksson for Leivo and I'm on board

Leivo would need to be signed, as he's currently a UFA. Gotta feel for him. That kneecap injury has sidelined him for 10 months and he's still not even cleared yet.