The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

I am a bit perplexed?

I think Schmidt is a great player.  A natural lefty that plays well on the right. A top pairing LHD? 

Maybe we dont sign Alex Edler next off season either.   

My real take is we still have moves to make. But Nate Schmidt is a really good get.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trading Gaudette and Pearson for Cernak who wears #81 would totally solve this huge problem we have...  ^_^

Everyone seems high on this Cernak. Have to admit I don’t know much about him but his stats certainly don’t warrant what people seem to be willing to give up. Pearson I could part with. Gaudette I have big hopes for.

36 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

Everyone seems high on this Cernak. Have to admit I don’t know much about him but his stats certainly don’t warrant what people seem to be willing to give up. Pearson I could part with. Gaudette I have big hopes for.

Tampa is in cap hell. No way they could take Pearson's 3.75mil cap hit

Canucks line-up for next season?

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser 

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson 

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter 

Edler-Schmidt 

Hughes-Myers

[Juolevi or Rathbone]-Benn

[Juolevi or Rathbone]

Demko (50/50)

Holtby (50/50)

-Podkolzin possibly arrives at the end of the season of his team gets eliminated.  
-Tryamkin possibly arrives if the Canucks have enough cap space and can sign him to a long term deal.

-Ferland will likely be on LTIR.   If not, then I think Eriksson will get sent to the minors to accommodate his salary.

-Baertschi will be on the farm again.  
-Virtanen willl get somewhere between 2.75 and 3 million per via arbitration.  

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I am a bit perplexed?

I think Schmidt is a great player.  A natural lefty that plays well on the right. A top pairing LHD? 

Maybe we dont sign Alex Edler next off season either.   

My real take is we still have moves to make. But Nate Schmidt is a really good get.

Yup, also thought about Edler when I saw the trade announced. Schmidt is at 5.9 and Edler at 6. Eddie won't sign a new deal at close to or near 6 mil again if he's going to play past his current contract so I defintley see him as the long-term replacement for Edler. Canucks will be looking to add another top 4D next season as well. 

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Thanks. Appreciated. 

The meh part is a genuine response to being this far into free agency, but somehow down a pick, but loaded up with another 6x6 for a sub 200lb Dman meant to replace/upgrade Tanev or Stetcher. 

I get that many fans will be excited by a shiny new toy coming in hot with fancy offensive stats, but do people forget who (which Dman) we scored against on Vegas the most (I think... I just remember being happy whenever 88 was defending against the Canucks because it meant we had a better chance of scoring)? It was this guy. 

It’s an upgrade that came at a minor cost, but also coming during the first few days of free agency where you can typically shop without surrendering picks. I get that it was slim pickings this year, in a sense, but a 6x6?

My first reaction was, meh - ok, it’s a decent player I guess, but... Wtf JB? That’s a lot of money and term for a very unphysical, undersized, and not especially sound defensively-Dman who was part of the reason we won some games against Vegas. This, after loosing two inexpensive decent Dmen who played bigger than they were (Tanev wasn’t physical but could absorb and never ducked a hit making a play).

The contract isn’t all that great. I haven’t read anything in here yet, but I assume there will be some posters ripping on the remaining 6x6. Ripping on the player is probably not happening because if you haven’t noticed, 99% of posters here don’t actually follow hockey outside of the Canucks, and even though most of that 99% just watched this kid for 7 games, how many actually watched him? Lol Probably just as few, otherwise there’d be a whole whack of posts saying we jumped the gun here. I mean it’s not that far from AP term and money. Think about that. Paying stud money for meh. 

I don’t mind the trade. We only gave up (another) 3rd rounder, but my first point is that in a time free agency, why? Well I’m sure JB has his reasons. If we are paying 3rd rounders to take on not-so-great contracts during the first few days of FA, then I’m not sure I like the strategy. And when the player is another softish, I don’t block shots or hit kind of guy, the guy - well, the one D pairing on Vegas which we just dominated in the playoffs, it just doesn’t add up or replace what just walked out the door for the same cost on less term. I guess a guy could have waited another year before finding our next LE. 

In the end, he’s now a Canuck and I trust JB didn’t just make a bad move. I’m happy to have another NHL Dman signed, which is a relief for sure, but this guy isn’t here to play a style I want to watch, so... meh. 

So much for Foote or Savard or whoever. 
Sign Chara and all will be forgiven, JB. 

Talk about treated different. If I wrote what you said I'd be dressed in tar and feathers, shipped of to Toronto. :bigblush:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Still plenty cheap Ufa options avail for Van:

1) Vatanen

2) Anthony Duclair

3) Alex Galchenyuk

4) Corey Perry

5) Iya Kovalchuck

6) Madison Bowey

7) Jeremy Bracco

8) Valentine Zykov

10) Carl soderberg

11) Nicklas Jensen 

Bowey for sure. We are officially collecting ex Capitals now.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Western Red said:

IMO, Vegas isn't going to be as good as people think.. They actually got weaker at C (which was already their main shortcoming)

Karlsson

Glass

Stephenson

Nosek

They used all their money on goalies and wingers. Not very wise IMO.

Pietrangelo is a huge get.  They also got much better in net by moving Subban.  

30 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Still plenty cheap Ufa options avail for Van:

1) Vatanen

2) Anthony Duclair

3) Alex Galchenyuk

4) Corey Perry

5) Iya Kovalchuck

6) Madison Bowey

7) Jeremy Bracco

8) Valentine Zykov

10) Carl soderberg

11) Nicklas Jensen 

They only have about 2M in cap space with still Virtanen and Gaudette to sign.

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Canucks line-up for next season?

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser 

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson 

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter 

Edler-Schmidt 

Hughes-Myers

[Juolevi or Rathbone]-Benn

[Juolevi or Rathbone]

Demko (50/50)

Holtby (50/50)

-Podkolzin possibly arrives at the end of the season of his team gets eliminated.  
-Tryamkin possibly arrives if the Canucks have enough cap space and can sign him to a long term deal.

-Ferland will likely be on LTIR.   If not, then I think Eriksson will get sent to the minors to accommodate his salary.

-Baertschi will be on the farm again.  
-Virtanen willl get somewhere between 2.75 and 3 million per via arbitration.  

Swap Eriksson for Leivo and I'm on board

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

that is before Beartchi and Eriksson get pushed to the AHL. Sutter likely gets traded, Ferland likely goes on LTIR. you can go over the cap during FA. 

Ferland is not going on LTIR.  He has every intention to play and says he is healthy.  They can't use up his cap space.  

And what's the cost to trade Sutter when a top pairing D goes for a 3rd round pick?  Teams know that the Canucks want to clear cap space.

Edited by mll