The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

I see posters putting up D-pairings without putting Quinn with Schmidt, which I think would be a very exciting top D pair.

I think people are splitting them up to spread out the puck moving offense from the back end. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they're looking at Jake as being ready for a top 6 role and that's why they let TT go.

I agree. I also think it is the right call. 

People have such an irrational disdain for Virtanen and it is usually based off nothing but rumours and media mythology.

He doesn't bring it every night but he puts up timely points and can hit like a mack truck. I was always happy if this pick produced a solid middle 6 player with speed and size, and that is what we have got.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

They signed MacEwen and qualified Bailey

I was thinking more top 6.

Currently that is Virtanens spot to lose but I could see them adding another winger before all is said and done.

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, VforVirtanen said:

A winger who is bigger with speed you say? I think I know of just the man, and 80% of CDC want him gone...

Jake Virtanen has all the physical attributes to be a fan favourite, but lacks the cerebral skills to be an impact player. He is also one of the streakiest players we’ve ever had, so he frustrates fans. He is a tempting package, no doubt. 

I don’t think he’d be missed if the season started in Vancouver without him.

If anything, he’s one of our best pieces of trade-bait too, so the odds of him being gone are better than ever, IMO. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

No reason to go the 8 skater. Hughes is exempt. We protect: Schmidt, Juolevi and one of: Myers, Chatfield, Rafferty, Brisebois. Unless we pick up another D then we protect them. Don't think Seattle would take Myers and if they did that wouldn't be the worst thing. 

We look in good shape for the expansion draft. Will likely loose either: Holtby, a 4th liner (Motte, MacEwan) or a B/C grade prospect (Lind, Chatfield, Rafferty, Brisebois).

I disagree that Seattle wouldn't take Myers but if we can upgrade on him for cheap because another team can't protect an even better D, I wouldn't hesitate to make that trade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Swap Eriksson for Leivo and I'm on board

Agreed, but it will be difficult, if not impossible, to get rid of Eriksson barring a ridiculous sweetener being thrown in (which we shouldn’t do).

As it stands right now, I don’t think the Canucks can afford Leivo.

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Jake Virtanen has all the physical attributes to be a fan favourite, but lacks the cerebral skills to be an impact player. He is also one of the streakiest players we’ve ever had, so he frustrates fans. He is a tempting package, no doubt. 

I don’t think he’d be missed if the season started in Vancouver without him.

If anything, he’s one of our best pieces of trade-bait too, so the odds of him being gone are better than ever, IMO. 

And what is your assessment of his cerebral skills based off of? What expertise are you calling on here that exceeds that of Benning and company?

This is what I mean by Mythology. The guy has a great ability to take away the puck, get up ice and score in critical points in the game. How is that not cerebral skills? I mean, he is no Petterson but who is?

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Agreed, but it will be difficult, if not impossible, to get rid of Eriksson barring a ridiculous sweetener being thrown in (which we shouldn’t do).

As it stands right now, I don’t think the Canucks can afford Leivo.

I believe people are stating he'll either be waived, or at best, 13th F. Not traded.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

So many posters who just can't admit they were wrong. Benning had other irons in the fire but even otherwise rational posters panicked and called for him to be fired. 

The right thing to do at this point is just accept that Benning is a wily GM and that there is a reason why you are not calling the shots and he is.

I think the Benning bashers always ignore/forget this.  He would have irons in the fire all season long, otherwise he wouldn’t be doing his job. 

• Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I see posters putting up D-pairings without putting Quinn with Schmidt, which I think would be a very exciting top D pair.

Itd be the smallest top pairing in league history.  

Schmidt would work best for Edler

As for why some fans are not too happy...  it has mostly to do with the cap hit and how whether some fans want to admit it or not, will increasingly handcuff the club in the near future.

Im a believer in Benning.. havent spoken negatively about him up until this deal.  In comparison to contending teams, Vancouver is severly lacking in high end defensmen and the best we can hope for now is OJ making a huge jump because theres no way this team can sign or afford actual top pairing guys at this point.

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Itd be the smallest top pairing in league history.  

Schmidt would work best for Edler

As for why some fans are not too happy...  it has mostly to do with the cap hit and how whether some fans want to admit it or not, will increasingly handcuff the club in the near future.

Im a believer in Benning.. havent spoken negatively about him up until this deal.  In comparison to contending teams, Vancouver is severly lacking in high end defensmen and the best we can hope for now is OJ making a huge jump because theres no way this team can sign or afford actual top pairing guys at this point.

He's a top pairing Dman making less than 6mill throughout his prime. Just let that soak for a bit before keeping down this road.