The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

22 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I'm still holding out hope for an Ottawa deal of some kind. That F group is awful after about 4 guys. 

I thought JB might land Borowiecki to upgrade Benn/Fanta’s spot, but the player chose Nashville. 

He would have brought added character and toughness. JB has brought in many quality people to the roster already. What a great place to work it must be for the kids. 

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As I had suspected yesterday even after the trade, we ain't done yet.

Not surprising.

After losing Tanev, Stecher, and Fantenberg, we need to add at least one more D man.

Benning isn’t the type of guy to pencil in rookies on his roster. He’s always said they have to earn it and then he’ll make room.

• Cheers 3

This was a no brainer trade, yes it locks us up to a D with term at nearly 6m. But if he can play near a top pair D role for 2-3years then taper off to a Edler type D man the final 2 years it is still a big win for Vancouver.

He will be just shy of his 34th birthday when this deal is up, so younger than OEL, over 2m cheaper than OEL and didnt cost us a top pick or prospect to get him. Only thing with OEL that would have been nice would have been to include some salary going back, even then tho I think Canuck fans were dillusional to think Arizona would be taking LE off our hands.

End of the day, solid improvement to our D core. Let's just hope we can clear some salary out and still make other improvements to the team!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I thought JB might land Borowiecki to upgrade Benn/Fanta’s spot, but the player chose Nashville. 

He would have brought added character and toughness. JB has brought in many quality people to the roster already. What a great place to work it must be for the kids. 

totally agree, that would have been a nice add. Looks like Dhaliwal is dangling more info today, so hopefully someone like this is in the cards. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As I had suspected yesterday even after the trade, we ain't done yet.

does that mean trade market or open market? Hamonic would be the minute-munching stay at home guy on the open market I guess. I'd prefer a trade for a a Cernak-type. 

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Would you a straight across trade for Boychuk? Say Loui "the empty jersey" Eriksson for Johnny "Spinal Tapper" Boychuk?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

does that mean trade market or open market? Hamonic would be the minute-munching stay at home guy on the open market I guess. I'd prefer a trade for a a Cernak-type. 

Who knows, it may even just be Fantenberg or Sautner.  Lots of names being thrown out there including Mackenzie Weegar.,

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Would you a straight across trade for Boychuk? Say Loui "the empty jersey" Eriksson for Johnny "Spinal Tapper" Boychuk?

nah his buyout is as crappy as Loui's this year and worse next year. Park Loui's arse in Utica and buy him out next year to clear 2 mil. Or maybe lighting strikes and Ottawa wants to be a true floor team. 

Wonderful trade.

Upgrade over Tanev. Brings the tenacity and warrior element Tanev brought with more offensive upside and speed, and can crush guys on the boards.

5.9 for 5 more years for a guy who just turned 29 isn't a problem to me, especially given Edler's 6 mill comes off the books next season.

Schmidt was heavily relied on in VGK to eat minutes in a less offensive role so they could shelter Theodore. I think Schmidt will absolutely crush it next to Hughes.

Seeing how Washington reacted, and now how VGK fans and media are reacting to Schmidt leaving leads me to believe this guy will become a fan favorite by Game 18 of next season.

Don't have to agree with my opinion but don't write this guy off just because it's hard for you to let go of the emotional attachments to Stecher and Tanev. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

his minutes are in the 2/3 range, and he actually isn't a give-away machine. He tends to be pretty even on the takeway-giveaway stats as well. Blocks shots too which we'll need. Adds much need zone exits and offence. Not a big player, but not small either. 

I don't know how this isn't seen as win for us. If we can add a Cernak or Carlo type now somehow then we're in great shape. 

Tempering expectations here is required. Already, the hype-train is rolling like it was when we got Ballard. Dialling it back a bit is ok too, folks, he’s a smaller, unphysical brand of what his role traditionally offers, further punctuated by his usage as being secondary on special teams. Sound like a true #2? What does/did that make Edler then?

Anyways, I’m not crapping in the guy, just making sure there is some balance to the assessment here, which are mainly flattering, IMO. 

Schmidt comes to us padded with super-stats from playing on two excellent teams for/in advanced stats, especially for Dmen, which guys like Hutton could only dream of having been as blessed with. Now he’s on another decent club on the rise. Is he as good as he is lucky that way?

As the saying goes, you have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good I guess.

Some guys just land like that in the NHL and play on winners, collecting paydays via team efforts. He’s to hoping he is that lucky/good because it will mean Vancouver will be as well. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

All the numbers point to him being their number 2 guy.

He played the second most minutes and played in the toughest matchups.

Either way a second pairing guy on a cup favourite is a first pairing guy on our team.

All the numbers? 
I don’t want to split hairs, but this is just subjective a claim, not that I disagree. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Tempering expectations here is required. Already, the hype-train is rolling like it was when we got Ballard. Dialling it back a bit is ok too, folks, he’s a smaller, unphysical brand of what his role traditionally offers, further punctuated by his use age as being secondary on special teams. Sound like a true #2? What does/did that make Edler then?

Anyways, I’m not crapping in the guy, just making sure there is some balance to the assessment here, which are mainly flattering, IMO. 

Schmidt comes to us padded with super-stats from playing on two excellent teams for/in advanced stats, especially for Dmen, which guys like Hutton could only dream of having been as blessed with. Now he’s on another decent club on the rise. Is he as good as he is lucky that way?

As the saying goes, you have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good I guess.

Some guys just land like that in the NHL and play on winners, collecting paydays via team efforts. He’s to hoping he is that lucky/good because it will mean Vancouver will be as well. 

Well said.   Personally I’m just glad it wasn’t Barrie or Krug.   Both guys take a quick glance and defense doesn’t seem their strong suit.   Watching our five guy box against Vegas and only Myers making clean zone exits and entries when the chips were down I’m excited to welcome Schmidt given that’s his specialty.    An upgrade but not a huge one considering what we lost as well. 

Edit.  I see losing Markstrom, Stecher and Tanev and adding Holtby and Schmidt as a wash.   I’m also hopeful he’s done other then a minor D signing.   It’s time to let the cap shed.   Being saying that since we lost to Vegas.   And see what else we have in the D before making any stupid decisions.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Tempering expectations here is required. Already, the hype-train is rolling like it was when we got Ballard.

Some would consider Schmidt a #2 D-man, and there are numbers to support this.

Ballard was never that. 

That said, as great of a pickup as this is, it doesn't magically turn us into a contender. It's a nice stepping stone, though.

Schmidt comes to us padded with super-stats from playing on two excellent teams for/in advanced stats

Possible. Like you say, wait and see. I personally would be surprised if he performs at something worse than a #3 D-man level.