The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Itd be the smallest top pairing in league history.  

Schmidt would work best for Myers.

As for why some fans are not too happy...  it has mostly to do with the cap hit and how whether some fans want to admit it or not, will increasingly handcuff the club in the near future.

Im a believer in Benning.. havent spoken negatively about him up until this deal.  In comparison to contending teams, Vancouver is severly lacking in high end defensmen and the best we can hope for now is OJ making a huge jump because theres no way this team can sign or afford actual top pairing guys at this point.

Just run that one by me again. You were a fan of Benning despite the fact the team lacked high end defencemen, he signs one with a pretty reasonable cap hit on a contract that ends before he even turns 34 and you think now is the best time to criticise him?

If this deal handcuffs the team as you claim, which "actual top pairing guys" would you prefer and how much would they cost and for how long?

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

Markstrom and Ekman-larsson are friends... OEL winds up putting us on his list of two....

Holtby and Schmidt are friends...Schmidt winds up landing here.

What's with the goaltender gravity?

Thatcher.....who your friends with!?

Mike Matheson.  I'm not kidding lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

We've seen some of breezer at the NHL level and I think he's got enough game to, at least, be a decent depth guy.  He's certainly got the skating skills to play at that level

he'd be an OK pice in a trade as well for someone like Ottawa. Value around a 4th or so this year, something like that. 

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I believe people are stating he'll either be waived, or at best, 13th F. Not traded.

I'm hoping that they waive him and force him to make a decision on whether to report to Utica; not report and have his contract terminated so he can sign with another team at a more reasonable price, or retire. The Loui saga needs to come to an end. I have no hard feelings towards him but as a business decision this needs to be done.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Still plenty cheap Ufa options avail for Van:

1) Vatanen

2) Anthony Duclair

3) Alex Galchenyuk

4) Corey Perry

5) Iya Kovalchuck

6) Madison Bowey

7) Jeremy Bracco

8) Valentine Zykov

10) Carl soderberg

11) Nicklas Jensen 

the only player that list I'd like to see now is maybe Vatanen for ~2 mil for one year. But we really don't need him either, Juolevi - Benn/Rafferty is an OK fall back. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

he'd be an OK pice in a trade as well for someone like Ottawa. Value around a 4th or so this year, something like that. 

I'd like to see them stick with breezer, but I agree, he could be a decent topper for another deal

• Cheers 1

I hadn’t thought of Schmidt as a top pairing guy, except for when he was in a sweet spot along side WK in Washington due to an Alznar injury, or whatever. 

He played a lot with McNabb in Vegas, which wasn’t their top pairing. 

Where does these #2 and the top pairing labels come from then? Projections? 

IMO, he’s a solid 2nd pairing two way guy, definitely hasn’t been used as a primary special teams weapon and is valued for zone exits more than maintaining the zone.

Unfortunately for me, he’s as unphysical as they come and is also prone to turn overs, which is an occupational hazard for all puck handlers. 

I’m happy to have an Edler, Meyers and this guy as veteran Dmen along side of QH and hopefully OJ. I’m still holding out hope for one more rugged Dman to round out the Dcore, but this is an improvement and a heck of a back up plan to missing out on the draft-pick free UFAs. I’m thankful we did t sign AP. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Tofolli was a lot of our offence in the play offs so there is still a hole 

it sure as hell won’t be coming from the bottom six 

Huh? Tofolli only played 7 games and had 4 points. He really wasn’t a factor at all in the Canucks playoff success, he played the first game in Minny, then was out till the Vegas series.

4 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Huh? Tofolli only played 7 games and had 4 points. He really wasn’t a factor at all in the Canucks playoff success, he played the first game in Minny, then was out till the Vegas series.

shh, why would you use facts to break such a beautiful story he built for himself? :-)

• Haha 1

Schmidt could really be this player who comes in and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Basically the message from Vegas was, "we like you, but we like Pietrangelo better, so we will trade you." Schmidt could be motivated to prove them wrong and what better team to do it with than an up and coming Canucks team within the same division. Look forward to Vancouver/Vegas rivalry for the next several seasons. As well as the Canucks/Flames rivalry reignited to another level now that they have Markstrom and Tanev. Pacific Division is definitely getting more competitive and more fun to watch.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt we move Eriksson but...Sutter + Gaudette (+/-) for Tierney...?

Yea Ottawa needs to fill out their forward group.

Send them Sutter with a sweetener.

Not sure they’d wanna part with Tierney but he’d be a great add.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Agreed, but it will be difficult, if not impossible, to get rid of Eriksson barring a ridiculous sweetener being thrown in (which we shouldn’t do).

As it stands right now, I don’t think the Canucks can afford Leivo.

Anything 1.05 mil or less can be sent to Utica without counting against our cap.  At this stage, Leivo might have to settle for that.