The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I hope Linden look on it with some pride, he's got his hands all over this thing, the good and temporary bad. 

We'll see where AG ends up... I wouldn't be surprised if he's part of an upcoming deal. Its Tryamkin that Nate has to worry about. 

Ohhh, yes, forgot about thaaat 88. 
Maybe it’ll be enough to get Nik back over here as soon as he’s able to. 
Ego is a motivator! 

Holtby and Schmidt will bring so much new character into the room, allowing Miller, Horvat and others to lead more by their play, relying/benefiting more on these new voices in the room. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

10 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

apologies if you've already said in an earlier post - curious who you'd want to see Nate paired with. 

I think we're likely so see something similar to this season.

Ie Hughes played with Tanev primarily, more when tilted to dzone start situations, Myers secondary in more offensive situations..

Edler played with Stecher or Myers to a comparable degree.

Once Fantenburg earned a spot - he played a lot with Myers.

It's hard to see a set of pairings... Particularly when we don't know the 3LHD or 3RHD.

I suspect it will be somewhat fluid.

The one thing I'd 'want to see' though - is a defensive RHD added - if it need be at depth prices, perhaps a guy like Ceci, who might be able to play with a few different LHD...

My guess would be that both Myers and Schmidt 'platoon' with Hughes - however I'd like to see an additional, experienced guy that can 'stay at home' on a pairing...

I also hope they re-sign Fantenburg, who imo proved to be more effective than Benn, particularly with his decision-making/first pass - Benn was disappointing in that sense (but I have no complaints about his efforts stepping in in the playoffs...)

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I thought this was about Benning he hasn't been here 20 years. Moving the goal posts again I see.  

Never about Benning.  My point was that the Canucks need to be more active on the UFA D front due to historic poor drafting of D players ( obviously not including the last few years ) ...   Please try to follow the discussion. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

'Contracts like Myers'... You mean the going rate (perhaps even slightly bargain if not in cash, certainly in term) for a UFA aged, 2nd pair D?

Not saying its an anchor contract or anything. More: bottom 4  dman (he is 2nd pair now but will drop to 3rd pair in this contract) for 6m when they will likely have many options for 4th dmen who are cheaper based on how the draft is structured. 

I think they could select cheaper options and then weaponize the cap to take some Staal type contracts (1 year) and load up on picks. 

Edited by Tower102
typo
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

there's other way to fill that need, the default of Benn/Raferty to me is better than picking up a 6 mil 36 year old d man for 2 more years. 

Loui costs us 5 mil in cap this year, and he can be bought out and save 2 mil the year after. We might be able to dump him to Detroit or Ottawa here as well if they're willing to take a prospect to do it, or if Jim really trades for a special RHD Jim can always use the nuclear option and trade next year 1st rounder. 

Eriksson plus a 3rd pair D is more cap than just a 3rd pair D. Even if said third pair D is overpaid.

That said, Boychuk is a non starter. NYI are going to have to pony up and clear all/must of that just to retain Barzal and Pulock. They simply can't take Eriksson back.

I'd happily consider Eriksson + (Rafferty?) for Stralman though if they're entertaining saving actual cash. 

34 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

it is funny how we all create trade scenarios and then *BOOM* Jim comes along and pulls off stuff no one here saw coming :lol:

*Ahem* While even I was blown away by it only costing a '22 third, I'd suggested Schmidt's apparent availability, as a means for them to sign AP, at a bargain as something we should certainly pursue for a good few days before it occurred.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Never about Benning.  My point was that the Canucks need to be more active on the UFA D front due to historic poor drafting of D players ( obviously not including the last few years ) ...   Please try to follow the discussion. 

Sorry your hatred of Benning can be tough to decipher. Try not to be so condescending. 

Especially when you spout off garbage like Zomg fir Benning he traded a 1st for a 13 goal scorez guy! 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Remember those days? 
Combined with losing LB, RIP, the pipeline was empty for what seemed like most of a few decades. 

I’m looking forward to watching and hoping that OJ finally becomes our Sergachev. 

IMO, the rest of our “prospect” overaged D are rather unremarkable and will not be supplanting anyone like Fanta anytime soon, expect for brief periods to fill holes.

I don’t see much there that isn’t available in PTOs or the like to start penciling in a cheap, supporting D cast. I like the players, all of them, that’s not it. I just don’t see much ceiling there on either side of the puck, not at the NHL level. 

I suspect we’ll get our fill though, watching a revolving door of these roster hopefuls trying to make an impact, but the separation between those players and OJ in vision isn’t even close, IMO. This is OJ’s year.

While these other players will audition, OJ will be a mainstay, which might be my best Captain Obvious impersonation today. Things could get further charged up if Tree  makes a return on schedule. That’d be quite the Dcore! 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just to give people an idea of Schmidt’s usage last season.

He played the majority of his minutes paired with Brayden McNabb on what would be considered Vegas’s shutdown pairing.

Here’s a look at the quality of competition Schmidt faced:

4B9DE493-7AFC-4B8F-8B10-198817924FE4.jpeg.e1c1179c6563fe6bf6d6647a7c4a7815.jpeg

For comparison, here’s what Tanev faced last season:

3E0622EF-9F3B-48BA-A454-CF29F4E89D46.jpeg.7d94f749bb3efbcd77af950c00fed7d0.jpeg

Both players were deployed most often against the opposition’s best forwards, but Schmidt even more so than Tanev (the Canucks D who faced the highest QoC last season).

So, in a sense, Schmidt actually played more of a shutdown role than Tanev did last season, at least when it comes to getting matched up against the opposition’s top line players.

McNabb-Schmidt was also the 5th most used pairing in the NHL least season, in terms of 5v5 TOI played together, so that matchup role was certainly his primary deployment.

Schmidt was second in TOI/GP on the Vegas D (21:40) during the regular season, and he was first among VGK defensemen in both total minutes played and and TOI/GP (23:02) during the playoffs.

So last season, on what most people would consider to be a pretty good team, Schmidt was top-2 in TOI/GP and he was also top-2 in quality of competition.

He'd look sooooo good next to Edler. On paper, that's a premium shutdown pair that can really drive the puck the other way. To me, we still need a physical steady stay at home dman (rumours linking Canucks to Weegar which from a distance seems like he'd round out our top 6 very nicely and hopefully doesn't cost too much). So the defense for us would looking something like this:

Edler - Schmidt

Hughes - RHD

Juolevi - Myers

Benn.

I wonder how call ups will work next season since it doesn't seem like the AHL will actually get going. It's not like they can call up players from Europe. ECHL also probably will sit tight next season. So that has me curious, but in terms of a defense, it's already an upgrade on last season.

3 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

Not saying its an anchor contract or anything. More: bottom 4  dman (he is 2nd pair now but will drop to 3rd pair in this contract) for 6m when they will likely have many options for 4th dmen who are cheaper based on how the draft is structured. 

I think they could select cheaper options and then weaponize the cap to take some Staal type contracts (1 year) and load up on picks. 

He had the 2nd highest minutes on a LV team that had better defence than we did last year. Was in the 97th percentile in terms of the quality of competition he faced. Ended up +11 with 30+ points playing against the best players in the league. He wore and 'A'. Some LV fans wanted him to be their captain. You're underrating him greatly.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

He'd look sooooo good next to Edler. On paper, that's a premium shutdown pair that can really drive the puck the other way. To me, we still need a physical steady stay at home dman (rumours linking Canucks to Weegar which from a distance seems like he'd round out our top 6 very nicely and hopefully doesn't cost too much). So the defense for us would looking something like this:

Edler - Schmidt

Hughes - RHD

Juolevi - Myers

Benn.

I wonder how call ups will work next season since it doesn't seem like the AHL will actually get going. It's not like they can call up players from Europe. ECHL also probably will sit tight next season. So that has me curious, but in terms of a defense, it's already an upgrade on last season.

I’d rather see him with Meyers, actually. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Remember those days? 
Combined with losing LB, RIP, the pipeline was empty for what seemed like most of a few decades. 

I’m looking forward to watching and hoping that OJ finally becomes our Sergachev. 

IMO, the rest of our “prospect” overaged D are rather unremarkable and will not be supplanting anyone like Fanta anytime soon, expect for brief periods to fill holes.

I don’t see much there that isn’t available in PTOs or the like to start penciling in a cheap, supporting D cast. I like the players, all of them, that’s not it. I just don’t see much ceiling there on either side of the puck, not at the NHL level. 

I suspect we’ll get our fill though, watching a revolving door of these roster hopefuls trying to make an impact, but the separation between those players and OJ in vision isn’t even close, IMO. This is OJ’s year.

While these other players will audition, OJ will be a mainstay, which might be my best Captain Obvious impersonation today. Things could get further charged up if Tree  makes a return on schedule. That’d be quite the Dcore! 

Rathbone will surprise you. He very much has top 4 potential if you've seen him play. Tryamkin could still come in and look pretty good in the top 4 next to Hughes. We have pieces with a pretty high ceiling. Having too many LHD isn't a problem, you can always move them to address other issues on the team that might be needed when the time comes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Listening to it right now, this is amazing. 

Treated it like a genuine conversation compared to most guys who are pretty bland. What a great dude.

He seems like a guy that just loves every minute of being an NHLer. Being undrafted has probably kept him grounded and appreciative of his opportunities.

I like that he’ll likely have a chip on his shoulder when we play Vegas. You gotta wonder if being traded from a team that looks like they’re on the verge of winning a cup again has him thinking “not again!”.

One thing about Tanev - some people sold themselves on his leaving 'making sense' based on claims that Hughes was 'better' without him - I find that really reductive (negative value 'analytics') that relies on corsi with, corsi without types of oversimplifications.  

When you scratch the surface of those claims, they don't really stand up (I'm worked that out in other posts here and am not going to repeat it here) - except to summarize that Tanev's play without the puck is nowhere near easy to replace - his 'lack of scoring upside' does not necessarily 'hold back' a player like Hughes - and Tanev's first pass/puck movement/ability to generate zone exits in a series like the Vegas were not at the heart of the team's exposure - it's not that simple in any of those contexts.

Schmidt may represent some uptick in speed - but Tanev is exceptionally mobile, particularly his lateral movement and pivots and he is an extremely sound and quick decision maker defensively - I will be quite surprised if Schmidt proves that effective - however, where the team hopefully gains is the overall puck movement and particularly the transition outside the dzone.

Schmidt does not make the team "bigger" or "stronger" - but he might back the forecheck off with that transition threat and his willingness to carry the puck (where Tanev was more likely to make that good first pass, but not necessarily with the secondary intent of 'play driving' or jumping into the transition.)

My one caution where 'analytics' around Schmidt are concerned, though...

It's noted that he and McNabb played a 'shutdown' role for Vegas - however, at the same time, Vegas' top 6 forwards typically got higher ozone starts than their bottom six - and were also their prime penalty killers.  Vegas' bottom six was weighted more towards secondary scoring / not necessarily 'hard minutes'.

So in spite of Schmidt getting less than 50% ozone starts and playing with a shutdown oriented partner - nevertheless, Vegas came at opponents with four lines and three pairings - and it's a context in which reading ozone starts -and the significance of them becomes less indicative/definitive imo - because they blur the lines in unconventional ways between their top and bottom 6 - with the luxury of very good two way top 6 forwards that they to a certain extent go head to head, strength to strength with their opponents.....Reading roles in that context needs to be a bit measured/mitigated.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Yung1 said:

He had the 2nd highest minutes on a LV team that had better defence than we did last year. Was in the 97th percentile in terms of the quality of competition he faced. Ended up +11 with 30+ points playing against the best players in the league. He wore and 'A'. Some LV fans wanted him to be their captain. You're underrating him greatly.

You did not read what I quoted. Conversation was nothing about Schmidt. We were talking about Myers and his contract and the likelihood that Seattle takes him if we expose him now that we have Schmidt to protect. Try reading the full context of a post before responding. 

Just now, Vanuckles said:

Rathbone will surprise you. He very much has top 4 potential if you've seen him play. Tryamkin could still come in and look pretty good in the top 4 next to Hughes. We have pieces with a pretty high ceiling. Having too many LHD isn't a problem, you can always move them to address other issues on the team that might be needed when the time comes.

Agreed, yes, just not in the next few months. 

Rathbone wasn’t part of that group I was referring to, neither was Woo actually.

I have them both another year out, but welcome surprises like the one QH gave us. 

What are your thoughts on Rathbone earring a spot out of camp? 

What kind of shot does he have at making the Canucks out of camp? 

Anyone else’s thoughts on this are welcome too. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He seems like a guy that just loves every minute of being an NHLer. Being undrafted has probably kept him grounded and appreciative of his opportunities.

I like that he’ll likely have a chip on his shoulder when we play Vegas. You gotta wonder if being traded from a team that looks like they’re on the verge of winning a cup again has him thinking “not again!”.

My favorite quote from his zoom interview was something like -  " don't tell anyone guys, but they pay me to have fun everyday" 

Great attitude on this guy so far, real genuine, real good.

:lol:

• Cheers 1