The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Pavel the Bure said:

"It might be tempting to create an uber pairing of Hughes and Schmidt, but I believe that it would make more sense to split them up. If Schmidt were to line up alongside Edler on the second pair, that would allow Vancouver to have an elite puck-moving defenceman on the ice for over 45 minutes every game, which will allow the team to control play better and spend less time in their own zone."

I really like this idea Hughes and Myers first pare and Schmidt and Edler second. 

I would be curious with Edler - Hughes and Schmidt - Myers. We saw a bit of Hughes - Myers last season and it didn't look great. Hughes is great offensively, but could use a solid D partner like Edler (much like with Tanev). Myers and Schmidt are both good two way guys and could eat the brunt of the 5v5 time IMO. Hughes being the primary PP guy and Edler being the primary LD PKer. Just need to add a solid PK RD with Myers as the secondary option. Schmidt gets 2nd PP time if we want to go with 4 forwards on the top unit and can help transition OJ (assuming he wins the spot over Rathbone) to secondary PK time on the left side. If we are in need of a goal, we can put out Hughes and Schmidt together.

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Becoming a media darling already 

Yikes. Tread carefully with the media, Nate.

All the tweets I'm seeing from the media are about him going to a Christmas fair to get his mother an ornament, calling Boeser a good egg, something about his parent's landline, and other innocuous BS.

Seriously. This is what passes for sports journalism in this city. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

So is confirmation bias like what you wrote above?

Not sure!

Nope, and I said as much by clearly stating that I’d like to see the metrics for my perceptions because I *couldn't support my claims. Your approach was with conviction. There is a difference and you know it so quit the drama, please. 

I reacted to your claims about Virtanen and the metrics you used to prove he was the player being sought for that top 6 gig, where I explained the logic fallacy you provided as an argument and then provided further examples in similar context. 

I get that you’re the forums designated Virtanen fluffer, cool - not judging lol - but if you can’t handle constructive criticism about how to lay out an argument without it containing conformation bias logic fallacy, then it will be challenging for anyone reading to respect your claims. Or don’t, whatever. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Quite possibly there will be. But he might also be the/one of the best players we'd be exposing. Are they going to take a lesser player from us simply because he's not the best D man they can select from the other 31 teams?

With how valuable cap space is, I think they would avoid contracts like Myers. It is all conjecture though, they would need some vets on some sort of contracts, just not too many, so it fully depends on who else is exposed and if they like them more or less than Myers. 

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

It is a bit surprising that we’d take another 6M player but we were willing to take OEL. We were hesitant on giving term to Tofu/Tanev. 

Schmidt must be seen as a solid enough player too which I can agree with. 

Still though a COVID cap environment.

I would imagine tanevs injury history played a bit of a role in this (how effective might he be in years 3/4), and then with OEL the assets clearly were much more expensive than just a 3rd in 2022.

9 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

With how valuable cap space is, I think they would avoid contracts like Myers. It is all conjecture though, they would need some vets on some sort of contracts, just not too many, so it fully depends on who else is exposed and if they like them more or less than Myers. 

'Contracts like Myers'... You mean the going rate (perhaps even slightly bargain if not in cash, certainly in term) for a UFA aged, 2nd pair D?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Would you a straight across trade for Boychuk? Say Loui "the empty jersey" Eriksson for Johnny "Spinal Tapper" Boychuk?

3 hours ago, Robert Long said:

nah his buyout is as crappy as Loui's this year and worse next year. Park Loui's arse in Utica and buy him out next year to clear 2 mil. Or maybe lighting strikes and Ottawa wants to be a true floor team. 

I think I'd consider it.  The buyout is somewhat better (over $800K saved first year versus $300K, and $400K hit vs $600K next year) but the bigger thing is he fills a need.  Put him on the 3rd pairing to mentor/shelter Juolevi, versus Eriksson who really doesn't have a role here.  Gets rid of a lightning rod 15th forward and fills your veteran 3-RD spot... provided Boychuk can still play, of course.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

We will be there together, pom poms and all. 

For sure.   Make a pact right now if we get to the final with JB miraculous accidentally on purpose team we can meet up and enjoy some games for sure 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

some in this fan base would still cruxify JB for getting say Mcdavid at 50% retained for a 7th round draft choice.

Yes because they should be giving us the 7th round pick, not us trading it to them for a "cap dump".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

This is exactly like the Ehrhoff trade back in 2010.  Sharks were cap strapped at the time and we got a smooth skating, offensive top 4 dman at a discount.

The one distinction I would make would be that Erhoff was a defenseman that was at the top of, or lead the team in ozone starts....

On a veteran Canucks team, his fit was not a problem...there were 4 or 5 guys as or more capable of hard minutes than Ehrhoff....

Schmidt on the other hand....has been utilized in a dual sense 5 on 5 - he and McNabb were at the bottom of Vegas' 5 on 5 offensive opportunity chain....(that might be a bit miitgated however, by the fact Vegas used it's top 6 as much in dzone starts as it did it's 'bottom 6' who had uncharacteristic deployment, or deployment that's only really possible with a veteran group imo...

Nevertheless - he scored 24 even strength points for them (and killed more penalties than he had pp ice time...)

He was also 2nd on that blueline in on ice goals for per 60, 5 on 5....and 3 other regulars gave up more on ice goals per 60...

On the balance, his offensive numbers look relatively deflated, and his goal metrics are plain excellent, not to mention that his on ice sv% is one of the best on the Knights as well.

This player is a very good fit for a young team imo - that is hoping to integrate both Hughes and possibly Juolevi as well onto the blueline - Schmidt's 'play driving' might be somewhat underestimated by people that look at his production out of context - but critically, he should be able to relatively hold his own defensively at the same time as bringing the puck moving....that imo is the critical element here - something the team didn't necessarily need when they acquired Ehrhoff.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think this is the only Canucks zoom I’ve listened to where the moderator was clearly laughing at times and was speaking throughout the call with a smile on her face that somehow came through the audio.

Nate is so damn likeable. And such a big personality.

I love the idea to adding this component to an already very tight group of players, especially the young core, that clearly has a lot of love for each other. And with another huge personality and big time talker like JT Miller already in the room. Gonna be fun.

The one Vegas media guy said he was the heart beat of the Vegas team. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2