The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I guess it would be Karlsson and either Glass or Marchassault (who I think can play center).

Definitely lacking the number 1 center you typically see on cup winners.

Without Statsny, one could say that they lack a legit #2 as well. 

26 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Honestly,

As much as I love this trade for us, Vegas’ GM should be fired for making that deal.  I get the fact that Vegas was in a very tough spot once they signed AP, but that could have and should have been planned much better.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that this was one of the most lobisded deals in NHL history.  Glad that we were the beneficiaries.

Vegas knows they have to retool with that gifted roster, which has probably peaked and subsequently in need of cap management. They know the long game and are playing both sides of the fence no different than JB has or is here, IMO. 

So what if they have a lesser team this year, it might be a developmental and transitional year or two anyways. 

They can reload next UFA season on exactly what they just gave up. They can also still make trades. I’d love to see them do a major retool actually, not as a rival fan of course, I don’t want to peak at the same time as them, but I’d like to watch a successful management of what they were gifted, into a young team with a future. That or make trades to remain a contender, which they pretty much are. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Without Statsny, one could say that they lack a legit #2 as well. 

Wonder if they’ll be looking for another center back in their next deal.

A lot to put on Glass who may or may not be ready.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1

I've read through a lot of this thread and I've seen it mentioned several times that Schmidt isn't a top 2 defenseman. Based on his ice time alone over the past 3 regular seasons and playoffs for Vegas he was most certainly a top 2 defenseman for the Knights.

Nate Schmidt average TOI over the past 3 regular seasons and playoffs. The # in parentheses is where he ranked among Vegas players for average time on ice per game.

2017/18 reg season 22:14/gm (1st)
2017/18 playoffs 24:09/gm (1st)

2018/19 reg season 21:57/gm (1st)
2018/19 playoffs 22:38/gm (4th)

2019/20 reg season 21:40/gm (2nd)
2019/20 playoffs 23:01/gm (1st)

Over the last 3 regular seasons Schmidt has 135 takeaways to 135 giveaways which is pretty impressive for a defenseman to be even in the takeaway/giveaway department. Over the last 3 years of playoffs Schmidt has 46 takeaways to 47 giveaways, again pretty impressive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Vegas knows they have to retool with that gifted roster, which has probably peaked and subsequently in need of cap management. They know the long game and are playing both sides of the fence no different than JB has or is here, IMO. 

So what if they have a lesser team this year, it might be a developmental and transitional year or two anyways. 

They can reload next UFA season on exactly what they just gave up. They can also still make trades. I’d love to see them do a major retool actually, not as a rival fan of course, I don’t want to peak at the same time as them, but I’d like to watch a successful management of what they were gifted, into a young team with a future. That or make trades to remain a contender, which they pretty much are. 

Please tell me how they can do this with already having $75 mil committed to 18 players in salaries for the 21/22 season and $55 mil committed to only 10 players in 22/23 season.

• Cheers 1

So much talk about "Benning get lucky" and "it was a plan D" haha on the radio and here. I'm calling this Planned Opportunism , Benning tried to sign players/UFA cheap, not work out. Vegas get Pietrangelo and opportunity presents to get top D . Jim Benning (the MONSTER GM)  strike fast and BOOM ...WELCOME to Vancouver Nate ! Planned or unplanned , what is the difference now ? Musical chairs in FA , fair game to all. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Sacrilage said:

"Don't tell anyone, but they are paying me to have fun every day" :lol:

I honestly did not know much about Schmidt prior to this, but I'm loving this guy already.

Edited by nergish

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Anyways, there are gripes to have - but this isn't one of them IMO

There's no gripe for me; if you read my posts in this thread you'll see that I'm ecstatic about this trade.

Just that I don't think everything done/not done this off-season was all a part of the plan to bring Schmidt in for a 3rd.

Benning gets all the credit from me for having a plan but not panicking to chase it, and then working out a different plan once the original(s) didn't work.

• Upvote 1