The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Joakim Nordstrom

7 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Flames signing an elite bottom-six player for league minimum while we toil around with PIMs-central Roussel?  Makes you wonder..

Treliving well-clear at the top...

He did just sign Markstrom and Tanev to basically pre-covid contract numbers. Hope that pays off for them.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He did just sign Markstrom and Tanev to basically pre-covid contract numbers. Hope that pays off for them.

They have about 3M+ left in space as of right now with just Kylington to sign and another forward/defenceman to round out the roster.

In terms of re-signings next year, they'll only have Dube, Valimaki, and Bennett, and only the former two are guys I'd imagine they'd be eager to bring back.  Ryan will leave, Riitch will as well, and there's a good chance 107 year old Giordano or Milan Lucic will probably "go" to Seattle, which will open up even more cap-space at the cost of an asset or two.

Term may bite them, especially on Tanev, but neither contract will be immovable if they run into some sort of cap crisis.

Edited by Alain Vigneault

1 minute ago, Alain Vigneault said:

They have about 3M+ left in space as of right now with just Kylington to sign and another forward/defenceman to round out the roster.

In terms of re-signings next year, they'll only have Dube, Valimaki, and Bennett, and only the former two are guys I'd imagine they'd be eager to bring back.  Ryan will leave and there's a good chance 107 year old Giordano or Milan Lucic will probably "go" to Seattle, which will open up even more cap-space at the cost of an asset or two.

Term may bite them, especially on Tanev, but neither contract will be immovable if they run into some sort of cap crisis.

I'm not saying they couldn't handle the cap, just that they signed a couple of players to a market that pre-existed. They paid more to get their targets, which is fine but as I said, I hope it pays off for them. Your numbers put them at a 20 man roster. They're going to be in a bind with any short term injuries if they head into the season like this.

Lucic has NMC and unless he waives and Calgary is willing to pay a hefty price to get him to "go" to Seattle, then it is unlikely. Giordano will be 38 by next season with a year left on his contract, so I'm not sold that Seattle takes him. I suspect Calgary will be protecting 7 forwards (Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Dube, possibly Lucic if he doesn't waive his NMC and another forward who I'm guessing Mangiapane). That leaves them protecting Andersson, Hanifin and either Tanev who they just brought in (unless he has a bad season which means Seattle wouldn't take him anyway) or Kylington who I think would be picked above Giordano based on age or they go with a Bennett if available or something.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I think both Marky and Tanev's contracts are not going to age well.

We got the best of Tanev.. and even the best version of him couldn't stay healthy lol. Also fLame fans penciling him in with Hanifin (haha) good luck Tanev.

Marky was good last half of last season and elite this season. not enough of a big sample size and no Ian Clark to fix his flaws. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Flames signing an elite bottom-six player for league minimum while we toil around with PIMs-central Roussel?  Makes you wonder..

Treliving well-clear at the top...

I think elite bottom-six is rather generous. He's a center that doesn't really win faceoffs. He's got mediocre scoring, and he's 28. He's a depth signing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Furthermore, I think it's a one way contract, not two way. The Jayce Hawrluk signing is better.

• Cheers 4
  • Wat 4

3 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

In terms of re-signings next year, they'll only have Dube, Valimaki, and Bennett, and only the former two are guys I'd imagine they'd be eager to bring back.  Ryan will leave, Riitch will as well, and there's a good chance 107 year old Giordano or Milan Lucic will probably "go" to Seattle, which will open up even more cap-space at the cost of an asset or two.

Who is scoring goals for them though?  And is Monahan and top line centre is still the question.  The playoffs have proven those two issues and to me they havent addressed them which is fine by me.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, amplified0ne said:

Who is scoring goals for them though?  And is Monahan and top line centre is still the question.  The playoffs have proven those two issues and to me they havent addressed them which is fine by me.

I didn't say they would be a winning team.  I said they would be a team without cap or structural problems.

The truth is the Flames aren't winning anything with bums like Gaudreau and Monahan at the helm.

• Haha 1