The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen

2 hours ago, KeslerWho? said:

Hot girl at Padres game catches foul ball in beer and chugs | Page 2 |  TigerDroppings.com

I can chug beer extremely fast. I have gotten pretty messed up from the free drinks I would get challenging people.

And when Covid pandemic eventually ends I am definitely gonna go hard and expect a lot of people my age too as well. Gotta make up for lost time. Covid already took away my music festivals. 

For now and the foreseeable future this dog is caged.

35 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

That’s a pretty intense way to crush one lol.  There was a girl that used to hang out with our circle of friends who would open bottled beer with her teeth(often) Some people just take their party hard to another level.

A Girl With a Special Beer-Drinking Talent : UNBGBBIIVCHIDCTIICBG

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I can chug beer extremely fast. I have gotten pretty messed up from the free drinks I would get challenging people.

And when Covid pandemic eventually ends I am definitely gonna go hard and expect a lot of people my age too as well. Gotta make up for lost time. Covid already took away my music festivals. 

For now and the foreseeable future this dog is caged.

I feel for you guys.

I live in Western Australia and we've been pretty much back to normal since May

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

That’s a pretty intense way to crush one lol.  There was a girl that used to hang out with our circle of friends who would open bottled beer with her teeth(often) Some people just take their party hard to another level.

Oh, I know. I've been at those parties. I've even on occasion been that person lol.

4 hours ago, Western Red said:

Nice signing, I just listened to Jakes interview with Rintoul on 650. 

He's in Kelowna training. Sounds like he has a residence there. I'm going to guess that after the nightclub thing pre bubble that he may have diverged from that friend group or at least has taken steps to be at some remove. 

It's a good deal for Jake and the Canucks. I lost faith in him but it's returning. Show 'em Jake!

Jake's interview was awesome.  Still sounds like a nice kid.  

I suppose that is the problem some would say? Any lack of respect is not apparent in his interview though.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Jake's interview was awesome.  Still sounds like a nice kid.  

I suppose that is the problem some would say? Any lack of respect is not apparent in his interview though.

He was nice enough to shake my hand one time before leaving a club downtown with a girl after I recognized him as I was entering.

During an all-star break a few years back.

Fun drunk times. Miss them dearly. 

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

True, we have options JB just has to take his hands off his purse strings and make a deal...he had no issue giving out all these bad contracts but now won't add a pick to a contract to move it out. LE is the hardest and most costly move to make. But Sutter, Roussel, Pearson, Sven, Benn could all be moved for a pick or retain and deal them for futures...Fix your mistakes JB, or my preference is we see us take a step back this coming year from what expectations now are and JB get fired or at very least demoted.

Would also like to see Canucks replace Malhotra...with an experienced NHL Coach to push/help Green. Associate coach Gerard Gallant please, before another team scoops him up. Green is an alright coach but he needs to be fired once or twice before he figures it all out at the NHL level. He didn't adapt to how games were going in the playoffs when it was obvious that what he was trying to deploy or how he wanted the team to play wasn't working.

Hopefully Jake has a good off season, haven't seen the guy around Kelowna but unsure if he is living up here or just commuting and working out occasionally with Giraffe

You would rather your team be unsuccessful. Boy the things you hear from « fans »

yikes

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Oh, for some reason thinking it was based on the dollar amount not the AAV. Thanks!

They are looking to limit the QO.  The cap was introduced to counter Timo Meier type contracts where the deal is severely back loaded to increase the QO.  

The QO is still the final base salary but at most 120% of the AAV.  (For a base salary under 1M there's a 5 to 10% adjustment).  

Virtanen and Gurianov signed for the same AAV but won't have the same QO.  Virtanen's last base is 3.4M so his QO gets capped at 3.06M.  Gurianov's last base is 2.9M - that will be his QO. 

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

I do hope Jake performs because we can really use an extra scoring top 6 forward with Toffoli gone.

JB decided to take the gamble and go with Gaudette and Virtanen over the guaranteed goal scorer Toffoli. I think it's the right move, but there's always the possibility that the kids don't produce as much as they should.

I think there's more leeway for Gaudette (lot cost, late pick, low minutes) but if Virtanen puts in a stinker next season, I think JB should look at trading him before his contract expires to try and get something. Whether it be an Anderson-type trade (2nd rounder) or ideally a trade for another young struggling player who may just need a change in scenery, we can't keep relying on Jake and we need top 6 scoring from somewhere. I'd give the kid 18 months to show us what he's got though and then that's it.

I'm quite hopefull that he will do it though, and while he may not be as dynamic as Toffoli and our top line, I think he can produce 20 goals for us.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I do hope Jake performs because we can really use an extra scoring top 6 forward with Toffoli gone.

JB decided to take the gamble and go with Gaudette and Virtanen over the guaranteed goal scorer Toffoli. I think it's the right move, but there's always the possibility that the kids don't produce as much as they should.

I think there's more leeway for Gaudette (lot cost, late pick, low minutes) but if Virtanen puts in a stinker next season, I think JB should look at trading him before his contract expires to try and get something. Whether it be an Anderson-type trade (2nd rounder) or ideally a trade for another young struggling player who may just need a change in scenery, we can't keep relying on Jake and we need top 6 scoring from somewhere. I'd give the kid 18 months to show us what he's got though and then that's it.

I'm quite hopefull that he will do it though, and while he may not be as dynamic as Toffoli and our top line, I think he can produce 20 goals for us.

There was something quite odd with that Toffoli situation,  gave up considerable assets to acquire him, seemed like a perfect fit, and he took a very reasonable deal in Montreal.

Maybe didn't fit the room?... I dunno, but they moved away from him pretty quick 

18 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t see a buyout happening. It’ll cost us next year and I don’t think JB wants to do that especially for a guy that’s a UFA at the end of the year

I’m praying and crossing my fingers it won’t come to that.   The only way I’d be ok with it is if both QHs and EPs deals are done early, great team friendly ones at that and enough left over to deal properly with Pearson and Edlers contracts/replacements.   Serious doubts we will. Rather play with a shortened bench and no more adds then go there.    It’s possible we could get one more very good add by doing the exact same thing we did this off-season.   By letting both Pearson and Edler walk,  have both QHs and EPs deals done before UFA season and the draft, and weaponize again with a cap strapped team.   Points deal is up...TB will continue to be on the hook as will others. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, The Lock said:

The thing is, most of these bad contracts are gone in 1 or 2 years anyway. Is it really worth adding that sweetener at this point or is it better to just wait them out? Once a pick is gone, it's gone and, unless if there's an extra plan in place that can either match or improve on the player we ship out, we have 1 less player who can suit up. It's easy to think in terms of "less cap is better", but I think that's just one side of the story that's easily forgotten about. And all of this would be at the expense of having 1 or 2 seasons without these contracts.

That being said, I also think if a contract like Eriksson could be moved with a little bit of salary retained, it could help at that point. I just don't think it's wise to ship all of our picks out to get rid of all of our bad contracts for the reasons I already mentioned.

As far as Green goes, I'm on the fence. We clearly had a decent unexpected run in the playoffs and then there are other times where I'm wondering what Green's even doing? lol

It really depends on the game plan that Jim is planning on or going to follow. For all we know they could be saying internally that this year could be a wash and we're not throwing away any assets to chase it down. As a fan, this is one of the few situations where I say indifference or mediocrity would be acceptable in order to prepare for the future.

• Vintage 1