The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen

4 hours ago, Robert Long said:

I hope he is healthy (and can stay safe), he'd bring pretty much what Toffoli would. 

I hope we see him back. Health is first and his agent didn't sound overly confident one way or the other.

The one thing I wonder about was the fact they misdiagnosed the injury similar to what happened with Sid.  Maybe that plays in his favour going forward.

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

I think Leivo is looking elsewhere, or at least more places. I can see him slipping though the cracks unless some kind of move is coming in the next few days to move out salary. 

I do wonder if we'll see Baer and even Benn on waivers tomorrow, see if someone takes them for free. 

Baer cleared waivers pre pandemic... no way he is claimed in today's market. 

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

I think Leivo is looking elsewhere, or at least more places. I can see him slipping though the cracks unless some kind of move is coming in the next few days to move out salary. 

I do wonder if we'll see Baer and even Benn on waivers tomorrow, see if someone takes them for free. 

We may be counting on Benn as our #5... No issue with waiving him though.  No one picks those guys up I would imagine.  

Leivo should be signed if he is medically cleared.  He had excellent production last year.  I bet he signs for less than $1 million which means he actually saves us  money if we waived a more expensive player that saved us $1.075 million in cap space.

• Cheers 1

Good signing. I think he should be tried on the first line with JT and EP. Boeser can be the scoring winger on Bo's line. Brock's two way game has come along quite well too so he should be able to take over some tough minutes with Bo.

• Cheers 1

Well, we've all been waiting on this kid, but these pwf's can take longer. The cheaper, younger talent(some w/size & grit) aging up, should light a fire under his @$$.

Then there's pressure from players above him. He either cuts the mustard, or becomes a low-cost, Tuna-sandwich.

C'mon JV..time you woke up & smelled the Nescafe, laddy!

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm curious to know if the return trade tree has fizzled out yet.  I know the players selected with the three draft picks traded have all now retired, but I'm thinking there's got to be some branching from further trades that are still active players.

For the canucks it ended with markstrom.

There are no NHL or AHL players left active from 1999. Very few made nhl.

Linden was traded back to van for a 1st(boyd gordon) and a 3rd (zack stortini)

Luongo / bertuzzi trade draft picks was shirokov

No players or picks involved in Linden, Bertuzzi/Luongo, luongo/ markstrom, sedins draft are still in the nhl aside from Markstrom with Matthias semi retired. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yeah, it's this trade tree that I'm curious about, especially as to whether or not any lingering residual assets are still floating around from it.

Apologies. 

Boyd gordon was traded for lauri korpikoski

Korpikoski traded for enver lisin

Korpikoski traded for heatherington.

Zack stortini was traded for tommy wingels, buddy robinson.

Wingels was traded for a pick (antti saarela) who seems to be the end.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Baer cleared waivers pre pandemic... no way he is claimed in today's market. 

long shot for sure. But both Ottawa and Detroit and looking for projects. I could see Baer fitting in well in Detroit actually. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What makes you think that’s a concern for me? 
I think that perhaps you have your wires crossed, confusing me with someone else.

I commented on the structure of the contract, specifically that I’d hoped that it was front-loaded so that it’d possibly make JV a more attractive bit of trade bait, down the road. As it turns out, the contract’s structure is the opposite of that hope.

I think another way of looking at it is that he'll be really motivated to do better this coming year - and he'll be even more pressured for next year. I think it's better that the money isn't coming right now, rather it is at the end of the 2nd year. If he doesn't perform like a 3M player, it's an easy dump for Benning.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

We may be counting on Benn as our #5... No issue with waiving him though.  No one picks those guys up I would imagine.  

Leivo should be signed if he is medically cleared.  He had excellent production last year.  I bet he signs for less than $1 million which means he actually saves us  money if we waived a more expensive player that saved us $1.075 million in cap space.

At 1 mil its no risk, and good depth. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Close. :)

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Rigged I tell ya...haha!! I would have posted it a couple minutes earlier but I was waited for actual proof of the terms to be in compliance with the rules.

Have to laugh about how Sekeres thinks we should cut salary now that we are over the cap...That CLOWN said we should buyout Sutter, so extend the cap hit an additional year?? Why not put Sutter on the market 50% retained, would think a team would take him for just over 2m possibly. add a sweetener like a low end prospect or add a mid to late round pick and reduce the amount of % we retain.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2