The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

long shot for sure. But both Ottawa and Detroit and looking for projects. I could see Baer fitting in well in Detroit actually. 

True, we have options JB just has to take his hands off his purse strings and make a deal...he had no issue giving out all these bad contracts but now won't add a pick to a contract to move it out. LE is the hardest and most costly move to make. But Sutter, Roussel, Pearson, Sven, Benn could all be moved for a pick or retain and deal them for futures...Fix your mistakes JB, or my preference is we see us take a step back this coming year from what expectations now are and JB get fired or at very least demoted.

Would also like to see Canucks replace Malhotra...with an experienced NHL Coach to push/help Green. Associate coach Gerard Gallant please, before another team scoops him up. Green is an alright coach but he needs to be fired once or twice before he figures it all out at the NHL level. He didn't adapt to how games were going in the playoffs when it was obvious that what he was trying to deploy or how he wanted the team to play wasn't working.

Hopefully Jake has a good off season, haven't seen the guy around Kelowna but unsure if he is living up here or just commuting and working out occasionally with Giraffe

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Nice signing, I just listened to Jakes interview with Rintoul on 650. 

He's in Kelowna training. Sounds like he has a residence there. I'm going to guess that after the nightclub thing pre bubble that he may have diverged from that friend group or at least has taken steps to be at some remove. 

It's a good deal for Jake and the Canucks. I lost faith in him but it's returning. Show 'em Jake!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

True, we have options JB just has to take his hands off his purse strings and make a deal...he had no issue giving out all these bad contracts but now won't add a pick to a contract to move it out. LE is the hardest and most costly move to make. But Sutter, Roussel, Pearson, Sven, Benn could all be moved for a pick or retain and deal them for futures...Fix your mistakes JB, or my preference is we see us take a step back this coming year from what expectations now are and JB get fired or at very least demoted.

Would also like to see Canucks replace Malhotra...with an experienced NHL Coach to push/help Green. Associate coach Gerard Gallant please, before another team scoops him up. Green is an alright coach but he needs to be fired once or twice before he figures it all out at the NHL level. He didn't adapt to how games were going in the playoffs when it was obvious that what he was trying to deploy or how he wanted the team to play wasn't working.

Hopefully Jake has a good off season, haven't seen the guy around Kelowna but unsure if he is living up here or just commuting and working out occasionally with Giraffe

love the idea of bringing in Gallant.

Jim's old school, he's not going to "throw good money after bad" by adding significant sweeteners to move guys. Its a little frustrating given he gave out the deals. 

I liked hearing that Jake was working out with Myers, if he can be mentored by a guy like that it bodes well. IMO if Jake can show up looking like an athlete he might get more ice time early. 

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

love the idea of bringing in Gallant.

Jim's old school, he's not going to "throw good money after bad" by adding significant sweeteners to move guys. Its a little frustrating given he gave out the deals. 

I liked hearing that Jake was working out with Myers, if he can be mentored by a guy like that it bodes well. IMO if Jake can show up looking like an athlete he might get more ice time early. 

Hey Jimmy, where's the bit about Virt and Myers?

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

The thing is, most of these bad contracts are gone in 1 or 2 years anyway. Is it really worth adding that sweetener at this point or is it better to just wait them out? Once a pick is gone, it's gone and, unless if there's an extra plan in place that can either match or improve on the player we ship out, we have 1 less player who can suit up. It's easy to think in terms of "less cap is better", but I think that's just one side of the story that's easily forgotten about. And all of this would be at the expense of having 1 or 2 seasons without these contracts.

That being said, I also think if a contract like Eriksson could be moved with a little bit of salary retained, it could help at that point. I just don't think it's wise to ship all of our picks out to get rid of all of our bad contracts for the reasons I already mentioned.

As far as Green goes, I'm on the fence. We clearly had a decent unexpected run in the playoffs and then there are other times where I'm wondering what Green's even doing? lol

6 hours ago, Provost said:

18 goal, 36 point scorer as a career high.  He didn’t even hit 20 goals if you added enough playoff games to make a full 82 games.

I want to trade him to shed cap space.  If Virtanen + a prospect gets rid of Eriksson, you can buy a LOT more goals with that money right now.

Yet another ridiculous take...

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Or probably celebrating with family and friends over a 5 million dollar payday.

Why has it become popular to hate on Virtanen? I think people have forgotten what real busts are. Only 12 years ago we were drafting the likes of Hodgson, Schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk. Be thankful that those days are done and our “busts” are still 20+ goal scoring power forwards with room to improve.

This fan base really to needs to focus its energy on more important things.

I agree. While Virtanen’s playoff performance let me down, he’s still young and figuring it out. He will get better, and he’s pretty solid now. 
In some ways it’s probably a good thing he is a slow developer, because if he came out scoring 30 goal seasons out of the gate, we wouldn’t be able to afford him with our current roster.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why has it become popular to hate on Virtanen? I think people have forgotten what real busts are. Only 12 years ago we were drafting the likes of Hodgson, Schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk. Be thankful that those days are done and our “busts” are still 20+ goal scoring power forwards with room to improve.

I agree fully. Jake has come along slowly but he has improved a bit every year. I have had my issues with him along the way but I'm cheering for the BC boy. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Honest question, maybe @-Vintage Canuck-

With the cap >> we have to be  compliant before we put any player (topic de jour Ferland) on IR? 

Also Ferland was obviously injured in the Playoffs but was never listed as on IR. What's his actual status?  Maybe someone should try to get him in a pillow fight. That might put him on IR again.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

2 words: Patrick White.

(Although at least he somehow got us Ehrhoff lol)

48 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Honest question, maybe @-Vintage Canuck-

With the cap >> we have to be  compliant before we put any player (topic de jour Ferland) on IR? 

We don't have to be compliant including Ferland before putting him on LTIR.  We just have to be on the 1st day of the season after he is (maybe) on LTIR.

We will pobably have to keep the waiver guys like Eriksson on the roster before putting Ferland on LTIR so that we are as close to the cap as possible and maximizing the amount of LTIR space we have.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

So... where will Gaudette play then?? RW on second line?

I'd love to see Gaudette move up to the 2nd line...  it will be a battle between him and Jake, and I'm looking forward to those two guys pushing each other.  

I'd like to see Gaudette on Sutter's wing, or Sutter on Gaudette's wing...  either way, it's got the makings of a solid 3rd line.  People forget how good Sutter can be when he's healthy...  I forget too because of how seldom that happens.  Gaudette will get plenty of time at 3C and the wing this year.