The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lightning re-sign Mikhail Sergachev

8 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Perks of having no tax.

Wonder if JB can use this as leverage for Hughes next year :ph34r:

Better get him signed before a potential big Makar deal takes that leverage away

What leverage? Hughes already has had a better offensive season than Sergachev by nearly 15 points and already has the same amount of playoff points. I think this contract already isn't great for the Hughes talks.

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

What leverage? Hughes already has had a better offensive season than Sergachev by nearly 15 points and already has the same amount of playoff points. I think this contract already isn't great for the Hughes talks.

That is a pretty shallow way to look at it.  Sergachev is a much better all around defenceman who can't just be measured by his offensive numbers.  He brings more in all the areas Hughes brings less.

It should really be quite a good comparable to use.

If we could actually get Hughes at a $5-5.5 million bridge deal and Petterson at a $6.5-7 million bridge deal, we would be in pretty good shape to ride out our veteran contracts expiring.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

TB will likely need to move a 1st rounder with a player whose salary they need to shed. Some team will get a sweet deal. Too bad we probably can't swing a deal since we don't have cap space.

They’ll also have to trade one of Cirelli or Cernak unless one of them is willing to take a one year low dollar deal.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They’ll also have to trade one of Cirelli or Cernak unless one of them is willing to take a one year low dollar deal.

Tampa will likely pay the price to move a vet rather than lose a core young player - Brisebois was adamant that he's not moving those guys.  Both Cirelli and Cernak are offer sheet eligible.  They signed Sergachev leaving them only about 5M in off-season cap space.  Seems like a pretty good indication that they aren't worried about an offer sheet and/or know that they can create cap space by moving one of their vets.  Would think that they know what they have to give up to move contracts.  

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Tampa will likely pay the price to move a vet rather than lose a core young player - Brisebois was adamant that he's not moving those guys.  Both Cirelli and Cernak are offer sheet eligible.  They signed Sergachev leaving them only about 5M in off-season cap space.  Seems like a pretty good indication that they aren't worried about an offer sheet and/or know that they can create cap space by moving one of their vets.  Would think that they know what they have to give up to move contracts.  

They’re 2 million over the cap with only 19 players signed.

They will have trade more than just one vet to get under the cap and re-sign Cirelli and Cernak.

I wouldn’t say that’s an indication of anything. They don’t have a choice if an offer sheet comes in. They’ll likely take the picks and move on.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, mll said:

I do believe moving a veteran is the plan.  

But I also believe that Bowman had no intention of having to move Teravainen? Until he did... 

In a parallel universe? I do not believe Benning would have had Tanev or Markstrom walk. Until he did...

Like you quote Brisbois, Benning was quoted as Markstrom being a priority? That he wanted to sign Tanev. And that they were going to talk, and make a deal work.  

Covid happened, the salary cap freeze took place.  Large chunks of planning everywhere fell apart.

Maybe Tampa's GM will be the so cool, he could make plays with a cigarette handing out of his mouth?  As Bieksa alluded about CT. But I would be surprised. Shocked in fact!  If they, like us? Like most teams don't have casualties.  I cannot envision them pulling off the perfect storm.

• Cheers 1