The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greater Vancouver Poll

Ms.Glitter

Your favorite town in Greater Vancouver  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

This was an article from years ago....they wanted to develop "Garry Point" (before it was even named as such).  The plan was to permanently close off public access and make a superport. The west dyke was also going to be closed off/no access!  (I'd run there every night for years when I was young...it was such a special place to me...I had no idea how close we came to losing it!).

Dad was the Steveston fisherman friend of Harold Steves referred to here (they grew up together).  Harold got a lot of resistance from council that scoffed at the idea that anyone would ever use a park or trail in that location.  Said it was ridiculous (back then it was a cannery/fishing town).  Boy were they wrong....it's the gem of Richmond now and a huge tourist draw.  The cherry blossoms in spring are amazing!  

I didn't even know about any of this until I saw Harold one day (recently) when I was going for a walk and saw him.  We always would have a little chat and he askd where I was going and when I said Garry Point he said "you can thank your Dad for that".  ???   I didn't know what he was talking about, so he told me. 

I had no idea.  When I searched the archives of the paper I found this article.

So now when I'm up there I always stop and think of how grateful I am that my Dad really cared ... this was his/our back yard for decades.   The west dyke is now officially a sensitive wildlife protection area as well...all started by Dad's observant eye when he noticed stakes with pink ribbons and knew that meant trouble!  Was all going to be pushed through rather quietly before anyone even realized what was happening!  Whew, dodged a bullet.  My favourite place on earth, I used to always see my Grandfather up there..walking counter clockwise to everyone else!

image.png

That's really cool to hear about, thanks for sharing that.  Garry Point and that whole area is very nice. They did such an excellent thing by maintaining the heritage and parks areas, it really is a fantastic area for tourism.  And even the newer buildings are keeping the  coastal village style to them. There's a lot to celebrate in Steveston. Thanks to your Dad and Harold Steves, so interesting to hear about that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Voted Richmond for the restaurants; there are not too many places in the world where you can get fantastic Chinese food in a mall food court.  Runner up is North Van, especially Deep Cove.

I love Bourbon Chicken.   Also Bamboo Express (2 & Blundell)....not "authentic" Chinese food, but really great westernized stuff.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Voted Richmond for the restaurants; there are not too many places in the world where you can get fantastic Chinese food in a mall food court.  Runner up is North Van, especially Deep Cove.

Something must have improved from when I left Richmond 2000.  What food court?

I have spent time in China.  Food court Chinese on 3 rd was like Mac & Cheese to good Italian.

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Something must have improved from when I left Richmond 2000.  What food court?

I have spent time in China.  Food court Chinese on 3 rd was like Mac & Cheese to good Italian.

I've spent time in China too.  Obviously the food there is better; I'm comparing to North American cities.  Depends on what you order I guess but I definitely enjoy the XLBs in most of them.

Richmond born here.  Can't believe how much it's changed in the last 40+ years.  Lived all over the metro van area, really like living in Kitsilano and Commercial drive area. 

But my vote is for the Sunshine Coast.  I love being 45 mins away from the city, yet super isolated from it.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I've spent time in China too.  Obviously the food there is better; I'm comparing to North American cities.  Depends on what you order I guess but I definitely enjoy the XLBs in most of them.

I lived in Harbin, the northernmost major city in China, for a year on a teaching gig.  I miss the cuisine A LOT.  I'm thankful there's some good hotpot restaurants around, but I've yet to see a few dishes on any local menu.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This was an article from years ago....they wanted to develop "Garry Point" (before it was even named as such).  The plan was to permanently close off public access and make a superport. The west dyke was also going to be closed off/no access!  (I'd run there every night for years when I was young...it was such a special place to me...I had no idea how close we came to losing it!).

Dad was the Steveston fisherman friend of Harold Steves referred to here (they grew up together).  Harold got a lot of resistance from council that scoffed at the idea that anyone would ever use a park or trail in that location.  Said it was ridiculous (back then it was a cannery/fishing town).  Boy were they wrong....it's the gem of Richmond now and a huge tourist draw.  The cherry blossoms in spring are amazing!  

I didn't even know about any of this until I saw Harold one day (recently) when I was going for a walk and saw him.  We always would have a little chat and he askd where I was going and when I said Garry Point he said "you can thank your Dad for that".  ???   I didn't know what he was talking about, so he told me. 

I had no idea.  When I searched the archives of the paper I found this article.

So now when I'm up there I always stop and think of how grateful I am that my Dad really cared ... this was his/our back yard for decades.   The west dyke is now officially a sensitive wildlife protection area as well...all started by Dad's observant eye when he noticed stakes with pink ribbons and knew that meant trouble!  Was all going to be pushed through rather quietly before anyone even realized what was happening!  Whew, dodged a bullet.  My favourite place on earth, I used to always see my Grandfather up there..walking counter clockwise to everyone else!

image.png

image.png

image.png

My dad worked at that cannery when he was a teenager :)

and we let my mom's ashes go at Garry Point, that's where they first met.

i have some roots in Steveston.

Edited by FilthyRich
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, FilthyRich said:

I lived in Harbin, the northernmost major city in China, for a year on a teaching gig.  I miss the cuisine A LOT.  I'm thankful there's some good hotpot restaurants around, but I've yet to see a few dishes on any local menu.

I also did a teaching gig in Taiyuan.  I find Northern Chinese food to be a lot better than what's commonly available here, although at least you can get Shanxi black vinegar in stores.  Richmond's definitely the best hope to get anything resembling the real stuff.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

Fun fact about me. I was born in Thunder Bay, where Terry Fox ended the Marathon of Hope. When we moved to BC, when I was a toddler we first settled in PoCo for a while where Terry Fox resided in life. I was born 2 days prior Terry Fox's birthday. I was kind of enthralled about him growing up.  Was a good role model for me. In my early teens I was able to return to Thunder Bay as we were on a road trip to visit family in Toronto. I got to see the statue erected in his honor.

The perseverance he showed kind of pushed me to be a better kid and to be a good teammate in sports.

• Like 1

Does Bowen Island count for 'other'? ::D

Second would probably be North Van... Lynn Valley specifically.

Steveston is very nice in Richmond but the rest is pretty blah other than maybe the Flying Beaver. The Asian restaurant selection is also nice...I miss my pho place... (Shoutout to Pho Ten).

Delta has a fair bit going for it. Ladner is adorable, it has nice beaches, dike wall trails, the 'lungs of greater Vancouver' in the bog and the watershed is great fun if you like trail riding.

But really... It's too damn busy in the lower mainland. We moved to the island :lol: 

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

All of the above. While COV keeps trying to tax us out of Vancouver we are blessed to have such diverse and beautiful communities in the lower mainland. I however don’t have a favorite place in particular I do love having a bunch of places to go to for food, picture taking and just having a moment in our municipalities soaking in our gems of the pacific northwest.

North Vancouver 

CADF950C-9511-4F09-87CF-C57BB2472B33.jpeg

88A1735D-D39D-4FDE-806C-4776E44205BA.jpeg

Fraser Valley 

714D3917-8775-48F4-9593-3D52EDE2A2CF.jpeg

29FC97E7-4725-4411-831B-7AF682B97D60.jpeg

New Westminster 

EF906389-CD18-4DCE-9736-4A2C5EC15CB9.jpeg

63C9AE3C-12DA-4FB2-89DA-D0AADBA12688.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1