The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

So many people jerking themselves off these days by following the hive mind and $&!#ting on others. 

I'm in favour of people wearing masks and social distancing, in fact I do so myself, but I'm not in favour of the mindless droves trying to tell other people what to do.  So many  looking to hate on others and practicing what Vancouver has always done the best: passive aggressiveness. 

&^@# that noise, mind your own business more.  Things tend to take care of themselves.  All the people that have way too much free time to spend on social media are failing at an important part of Dr. Bonnie Henry's message:  Be Kind.  

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You've gotta wonder about a guy who's against wearing a little piece of cloth to try to help save lives but will inject himself with a pregnancy hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin, to look and feel better about himself.  

All about me stuff.  What about embarrassing the team?   

I always thought he was kinda weird.  Those defending him don't understand that we've BEEN ORDERED BY PUBLIC HEALTH to take some measures.  It's not "opinion" based, it's science based.  Anti maskers are a joke...they'd likely wear:  a hallowe'en mask to a party; a balaclava skiing; a full face motorcycle helmet; etc..  But this cotton piece????....don't make me do it.

If u find a anti masker who played beer league hockey goalie. Ask them why u wear a mask. 100% he going to answer for my protection. Then replay my asking a n95 is for the same thing. This is how dumb those people are.

• Vintage 1

Thank you for your time here Mark Donnelly, many great memories, and ultimately that's what I'll remember.

Unlike others on here, I won't treat you as if you're sub-human for having issues with the mask mandates.

As a Canadian, you are free to express your thoughts and opinions and I encourage you to continue that path. Unfortunately the Canucks ownership will only employ those with the correct opinions, so hopefully the message was sent with you as an example or I'm sure some trades will be lined up.

It's unfortunate that ownership decided to shame you publicly, I guess you really meant nothing to them.

Oh well, good luck with your next endeavors. Hopefully you will be allowed to express your beliefs elsewhere.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I work in healthcare and I can in full confidence say I entirely disagree and medical science refutes your stance on masks.

Like I said, I’ll wear one where forced to but will go out of my way to avoid it, nothing can ever convince me that prolonged mask use can be good for your health but good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 2

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I hate analogies they’re like Swiss cheese, full of holes but let’s look at yours, the peeing guys leave and there’s puddles of piss on the ground that everyone else walks through splashing the piss everywhere. Go to a grocery store and watch all the people touching their masks every 30 seconds or so then touching products and putting them back, even if masks could work people are disgusting and that’s the problem.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I hate analogies they’re like Swiss cheese, full of holes but let’s look at yours, the peeing guys leave and there’s puddles of piss on the ground that everyone else walks through splashing the piss everywhere. Go to a grocery store and watch all the people touching their masks every 30 seconds or so then touching products and putting them back, even if masks could work people are disgusting and that’s the problem.

Also that analogy's diagram opted to leave out the frame where if the peeing guy is wearing pants, you won't get his pee on you whether you're wearing them or not.

So...if you're gonna go out in public and start peeing randomly, definitely wear pants.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That's a very simplistic and lazy approach to equate piss to a viral infection spread through your saliva.

COVID-19 is 0.06-0.14um in size.

Studies have been done to measure the filtration of particles in the range of 0.3-0.5 um. Surgical masks had the greatest filtration, with a 74-90% efficacy.

Therefore there's always a likely chance your breath, jaw movement, cough, speech, or sneeze is spreading particles at that size.

This is all in assumption that people are following the measures 100% of the time, not accounting for human-error.

This also proves that those super trendy homemade masks and cloth masks are absolutely useless, as they are nowhere near as effective as a surgical or N95.

So forgive us for questioning the mask mandates.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tystick said:

That's a very simplistic and lazy approach to equate piss to a viral infection spread through your saliva.

COVID-19 is 0.06-0.14um in size.

Studies have been done to measure the filtration of particles in the range of 0.3-0.5 um. Surgical masks had the greatest filtration, with a 74-90% efficacy.

Therefore there's always a likely chance your breath, jaw movement, cough, speech, or sneeze is spreading particles at that size.

This is all in assumption that people are following the measures 100% of the time, not accounting for human-error.

This also proves that those super trendy homemade masks and cloth masks are absolutely useless, as they are nowhere near as effective as a surgical or N95.

So forgive us for questioning the mask mandates.

Doctors wear masks to prevent infections, viruses do not create infections, bacteria do, masks are made to stop bacteria which are way bigger than viruses. The warning label on a box of masks states “ will not prevent the spread of viruses including COVID” 

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Context does matter, absolutely. We don't live in a world of black and white, though black and white certainly do exist. There are numerous shades in-between.

The online culture has changed, even from when I was in my early teens. Being thirty I've basically grown up alongside the internet as we know it. The internet is Pandora's box in a way,  it's influence upon society and the world as a whole continue to become all the more impactful and there's no going back to what was despite many wishing we could. But yeah, that's a massive topic that could go any number of different directions. 

You're basically advocating critical thought and doing one's research as opposed to mindlessly consuming information. I don't disagree, though research in the age of misinformation and endless takes and agendas isn't as simple nowadays. 

It's unfortunate, I don't wish Donnelly ill, though I disagree with his choice. He was part of many memorable games and Canucks moments, regardless of his personal decisions that doesn't change. But it also doesn't shield him from the obvious repercussions. From a business standpoint it makes sense to me, given the Canucks position@Covid it makes sense to me. It's an unfortunate scenario, but that's 2020 for ya. 

We've definitely grown a tremendous amount in the last 10 years compared to the last 20 or even 30 years prior as a society. We've skyrocketed since the turn of the millennia. It is amazing and scary at the same time. Sometimes I think we're growing too fast for our own good in certain regards. You're only 5 years older than me so we both were probably the last generation that grew up as kids before social media blew up(started growing with me as a teen).

That's especially why it's important to listen to differing opinions. Helps you formulate a better one by sifting through the good, the bad and the ugly rather than just looking at the good or the bad or the ugly solely. I am all about open mindedness. Probably why I politically fall in the middle(leaning right). You always learn something from others perspective/opinions, whether they're wrong, right or just different.

You bring up a good fact too. Misinformation in a time where we are especially more drawn to create more divide(thank media/social media) than any sort of unity. You have to be careful nowadays. It's a rough period of time for us. Divide prevents solutions to be had in whatever circumstance/issues it is presented in. Reminds me of the saying 'united we stand, divided we fall'. 

I am hoping for the vaccine(really covid shot) to be a major success. I am growing tired of people being at odds with each other and to have one less thing to butt heads about would make every day a better one.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Doctors wear masks to prevent infections, viruses do not create infections, bacteria do, masks are made to stop bacteria which are way bigger than viruses. The warning label on a box of masks states “ will not prevent the spread of viruses including COVID” 

Yup.

Also, government websites will tell us cloth masks are not effective and should not be used by front line workers, but they're suitable for the public.

Lol.

Just now, Tystick said:

Yup.

Also, government websites will tell us cloth masks are not effective and should not be used by front line workers, but they're suitable for the public.

Lol.

Just look back at when we found out about COVID and people stockpiled toilet paper, people are idiots. Telling them masks work give them hope  and a bit of control over their lives to make them feel better, otherwise it would be insanity, sadly sheep is the best description.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

Just look back at when we found out about COVID and people stockpiled toilet paper, people are idiots. Telling them masks work give them hope  and a bit of control over their lives to make them feel better, otherwise it would be insanity, sadly sheep is the best description.

It just makes themselves feel better, like they're "doing their part" and it gives them some sort of green light to attack anyone that's concerned about their freedoms.

I love how people who are wearing masks no longer distance and I guess they feel safe now. None of the measures work, it makes no difference.

Oh and the table one is the best. Wear a mask while entering the restaurant, but once you sit at the table you are 100% safe. Lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Thanks for the memories, MD. There were some beauts.

Being away, it's hard for me to accurately gauge this mask advocating/imploring/demanding spectrum..so Gawd knows?  Do get the feeling it's an ostensible thing..perhaps other reason(s)?

Whatever.. bet the haterz at some other site will reckon this means no Van Cup 'til 2200! Guess it's a slow news month.

Masks weren't mandatory earlier on because much wasn't known about Covid and we were doing well as a province with minimal limitations. Now that everything is getting worse, more limitations need to be applied.

Masks don't harm human oxygen intake and CO2 output. If you're that concerned about bacteria, wash your mask everyday or buy disposable ones. Masks aren't covid exclusive, they have always been used as a safety measure to prevent spreading sickness to others.

Wear a damn mask and a proper one. The reason it is fair to criticize other's for having the "wrong opinion" is because you could be potentially harming others with your actions, not just yourself.

• Thanks 1