The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

lol, loved how these american teams have random injuries that pop up out of no where. Bet you once the season starts , he will come back and Tampa can be over the cup because the season has started

That's not how cap works.  They need to be able to fit him under the cap to be able to activate him.  Kucherov is a top player in the league.  Tampa most certainly prefer having him in their lineup. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

see what Calgary does to us? the season hasn't started and you and I are already throwing the remote at the tv. 

Ok, I'm going to give it a shot:

In the States, all 8 teams play 56 games = versus 7 opponents, 8 times = 7 x 8 = 56.

In the Canadian division, all 7 teams play 6 opponents, 9 times = 6 x 9 = 54, so the task is to add 2 games to all 7 Canadian team (I think).

Considerations for scheduling 2 more games per team:

For 7 teams that = 14 more games to add.

Aim for fair competition (one could hope) and equal home and away games for each team.

Ability to decide in advance (last week) which way to name/number teams to book arenas.

(i.e. not wait for divisional standings for example)

Does this work?

Name the teams T1 to T7:

T1 v T2

T3 v T4

T5 v T6

T7 v T1

T2 v T3

T4 v T5

T6 v T7

Each team gets 2 more games = 56 games per team in the Canadian Division.

Downside is we play each other team at least 9 times, and 2 of them 10 times.

For the Canucks, this means 'we' play 6 (crap-ass) opponents, 4 of them 9 times and 2 of them 10 times = (4 x 9) + (2 x 10) = 36 + 20 = 56.

Oh yeah, we're gonna build up some rivalries alright.

And that just leads up to the playoffs.

Against the best of the same c.a. opponents!

It will take 2 rounds of up to 7 games each = 14 more games to become the only Canadian team to face an American team this season and playoffs.

We won't play an American team until the third round of the playoffs, which could be up to 70 games before we reach the Semi-Finals.

Weird year coming up.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

In the States, all 8 teams play 56 games = versus 7 opponents, 8 times = 7 x 8 = 56.

In the Canadian division, all 7 teams play 6 opponents, 9 times = 6 x 9 = 54, so the task is to add 2 games to all 7 Canadian team (I think).

Aim for fair competition (one could hope) and equal home and away games for each team.

Ability to decide in advance (last week) which way to name/number teams to book arenas.

Does this work?

Name the teams T1 to T7:

T1 v T2

T3 v T4

T5 v T6

T7 v T1

T2 v T3

T4 v T5

T6 v T7

For the Canucks, this means 'we' play 6 (crap-ass) opponents, 4 of them 9 times and 2 of them 10 times = (4 x 9) + (2 x 10) = 36 + 20 = 56.

It will take 2 rounds of up to 7 games each = 14 more games to become the only Canadian team to face an American team this season and playoffs.

We won't play an American team until the third round of the playoffs, which could be up to 70 games before we reach the Semi-Finals.

Weird year coming up.

Thanks, this makes sense. Its going to be a massive grind, I think its going to get nasty in a hurry. Downside is I think whoever makes it out of the Canadian division is going to be pretty banged up, unlike the gift Vegas has received in their division e.g. 

I was really just complaining about Calgary tho :lol:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thanks, this makes sense. Its going to be a massive grind, I think its going to get nasty in a hurry. Downside is I think whoever makes it out of the Canadian division is going to be pretty banged up, unlike the gift Vegas has received in their division e.g. 

I was really just complaining about Calgary tho :lol:

Yeah, well before Roger jumped in, I was thinking the same as he was, but I kept my powder dry, and held my fire for a while to see if somebody else was gonna figure it out.

You can bet Calgary is gonna be one of the ones we play 10 times!  Yikes! Weird. Plus Marky and Tan Man.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, well before Roger jumped in, I was thinking the same as he was, but I kept my powder dry, and held my fire for a while to see if somebody else was gonna figure it out.

You can bet Calgary is gonna be one of the ones we play 10 times!  Yikes! Weird. Plus Marky and Tan Man.

I think you got it. 

But damn, I don't know that I can watch that weasel Tkachuk 10 times. I'm happy for Tanev tho, he's a good guy and I'm glad he's set for life on Calgarys dime. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Has this aspect been mentioned? I am guessing that the salaries will be 56/82 of the full amount. That would save the owners money and would reduce monies owed by the players.

No pro-rata of salaries. Cap is staying at 81.5M.  Performance bonuses look to be pro-rated though.  If the max target is also pro-rated this would drop Pettersson/Hughes schedule A from 850K to 580K each.  Last year they both received 850K resulting in a bonus overage of 1.7M.

• Thanks 2

On 12/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Just in time to distract me from my last semester of school before I graduate :P

When I was a young man I had a rule...no studying after 8pm.

The Canucks played Calgary that April, round 1 and I had a stats exam the day after BMO scored in OT.

It's fair to say I didn't study.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Does this work?

Name the teams T1 to T7:

T1 v T2

T3 v T4

T5 v T6

T7 v T1

T2 v T3

T4 v T5

T6 v T7

Weird year coming up.

I’d expect that Vancouver plays EDM and Vancouver-lite ha ha, one more game each to make up for it.   We can beat those bums.  Personally I’m stoked we can create some rivalries with these guys ... my personal favourite had always been against Calgary 89-95...when the Alberta Battle simmered down... we were right there to pick up where it left off.   Also still have some old hate against WNP...thankfully Keith’s son now plays in Calgary ... hope we beat that smug smile right off his face. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/iain-macintyre-playing-options-canucks/

Has the same thinking of many of us in BC about the fact that our PHO's say no while other provinces are giving the green light.  Makes no sense.

"The Canucks would probably play in Edmonton....nobody's going to be excited about that".   :towel:::D

I find it odd that some want Covid rules followed by the general public but not when it comes to their pro hockey team. Strange.... Last I checked my men's league team can't play nor can all the youth minor hockey teams. Either we are in a pandemic or we aren't. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I find it odd that some want Covid rules followed by the general public but not when it comes to their pro hockey team. Strange.... Last I checked my men's league team can't play nor can all the youth minor hockey teams. Either we are in a pandemic or we aren't. 

Your men's team really provides no assurance that they've quarantined beforehand and tested (as players likely will be).  

Hey look, I work in a school so none of it makes sense.  But I get that some "groups" and events are safer than others.  Transmission was happening in those that go unchecked.  People's homes, where they felt no need to social distance or wear masks.  Private gatherings and events.  If you think the NHL is going to allow their assets to be reckless, you're likely wrong.  I'm sure that strict protocol will be part of it and their previous track record speaks volumes in how seriously they take it all.

I can't deny that what you're saying is right....pick a side, all or nothing.  But there ARE people still:  shopping, working, skiing, etc.  Planes landing here daily...with lots of reports of COVID exposures on board.  So I'd really understand if hockey teams play in a rink where things will likely be fairly strictly monitored...probably more so than I do a lot of the other stuff that's happening.

• Thanks 1