The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

On 12/20/2020 at 2:39 PM, DeNiro said:

The fact that they’re spending any significant time on this when they’ve failed to protect areas where actual spread is happening is what gets me.

The NHL has the know how and resources to protect their players and the public.

Just don’t like that the standards keep changing.

that is not nessecarily true

The NHL did well when they played bubble hockey

NFL and Baseball had trouble with teams moivng around.

What did the NHL learn from bubble hockey that is transsferable to road game hockey?

3 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

&^@# the Flames, OIlers, Leafs, Jets, Canadiens and Senators. There are no longer friends/allies inside the border. It is Canucks or no body. This is like the Hunger Games, &^@# everyone else, GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha funny

think, if the playoff race is tight, we might be cheering for a different team every night 

so we can squeak in

7 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Ok, I'm going to give it a shot:

In the States, all 8 teams play 56 games = versus 7 opponents, 8 times = 7 x 8 = 56.

In the Canadian division, all 7 teams play 6 opponents, 9 times = 6 x 9 = 54, so the task is to add 2 games to all 7 Canadian team (I think).

Considerations for scheduling 2 more games per team:

For 7 teams that = 14 more games to add.

Aim for fair competition (one could hope) and equal home and away games for each team.

Ability to decide in advance (last week) which way to name/number teams to book arenas.

(i.e. not wait for divisional standings for example)

Does this work?

Name the teams T1 to T7:

T1 v T2

T3 v T4

T5 v T6

T7 v T1

T2 v T3

T4 v T5

T6 v T7

Each team gets 2 more games = 56 games per team in the Canadian Division.

Downside is we play each other team at least 9 times, and 2 of them 10 times.

For the Canucks, this means 'we' play 6 (crap-ass) opponents, 4 of them 9 times and 2 of them 10 times = (4 x 9) + (2 x 10) = 36 + 20 = 56.

Oh yeah, we're gonna build up some rivalries alright.

And that just leads up to the playoffs.

Against the best of the same c.a. opponents!

It will take 2 rounds of up to 7 games each = 14 more games to become the only Canadian team to face an American team this season and playoffs.

We won't play an American team until the third round of the playoffs, which could be up to 70 games before we reach the Semi-Finals.

Weird year coming up.

for those of us who did not grow up in the original six era

it gives us a chance to see what old time hockey was really line

this will totally beat playing eastern teams tice every 3 years

to be clear, I am all for a balanced schedule, but its a weird year, so lets enjoy the rivalries

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

On helmet ads:  

Yuck.  I would much prefer the pieces of **** who signed off on this abomination immediately cease being employed.  Simply unacceptable and I will not be contributing to preventing these scumbags from starving to death.  Pull the plug on the season if you're going to disgrace the sport like this.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Wat 2

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yuck.  I would much prefer the pieces of **** who signed off on this abomination immediately cease being employed.  Simply unacceptable and I will not be contributing to preventing these scumbags from starving to death.  Pull the plug on the season if you're going to disgrace the sport like this.

As long as company logos don't become front and centre on jersey's like they are in Europe. Logos on helmets I can live with. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

The people making those decisions are probably not the ones at risk of losing their jobs.  It's likely people far lower down the food chain - arena workers, custodians, security guards, elevator attendant etc.  

This sickens me.  Keep this garbage out of our sport and fire the scumbags who have no issue with making the NHL a laughing stock as long as they continue to waste oxygen in comfort.  Will be cancelling SN Now if this happens so at least they aren't getting a dime from me.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Everyone will have to draw their own line.  For me it's a non-starter on any part of the uniform.

I know what you mean. I'm still not happy with MLS and the BELL logo front and centre for the Whitecaps FC. 

But the Whitecaps seem to be more interested in money than winning. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

I am absolutely pumped for a Canadian division.  Such a unique opportunity to see rivalries bloom...  So much star power and creative offence.  

Goaltending should be the difference.  

And the Canucks will get mentioned 9-10 times on TSN, instead of twice:ph34r:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

This sickens me.  Keep this garbage out of our sport and fire the scumbags who have no issue with making the NHL a laughing stock as long as they continue to waste oxygen in comfort.  Will be cancelling SN Now if this happens so at least they aren't getting a dime from me.

See ya later this is about feeding people and helping people threw tough time not your delicate sense of sight. please I could care less what was on the uniforms as long as it keeps people employed.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, BCNeil said:

Just keep advertising off jerseys.  They make a lot of money selling jerseys to fans and collectors.  I don't think I'd keep buying them all covered in ads.  

Thing is they can tweak the jersey each time a sponsor changes - so in theory they could have a new one each season with slight changes.

as with European football people will buy a new top every year.

personally I have no issue with it provided it doesn’t become a walking billboard like European Hockey teams. I would prefer to have sponsors on uniform than to have TV add breaks mid game. Play the game - stick the ads breaks during the intermissions 

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

that escalated quickly will ferrell GIF

• Haha 1

As much as I love hockey and will find its return something I can finally focus on other than Covid, it honestly seems ridiculous to me that they are preparing for a season under these circumstances. 

These players are not only risking their livelihood if they get infected, but with most jurisdictions in Canada already under heavy restrictions and likely to get worse as we continue through winter, allowing NHL hockey seems like a rather frivolous luxury at this point, doesn't it? 

I would be surprised to see this season finish without at least one team being hit by the virus, if not multiple teams. We've already seen overseas how this happens despite teams trying to be careful, and especially in the USA they are already in real bad shape and its only going to get worse.

Edited by kloubek

Milliions of hard working Canadians must go to work every day with pathetically few Covid protection safety restrictions to protect them

Pro hockey players with extremely strict safety restrictions to protect both the players and the public in place should easily fit into this catagory

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Cheers 2