The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

32 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Why are people in Vancouver wearing water jugs over tbeir heads. Please tell your uncle aunt brother mother father etc..... stop looking ridiculous.. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/traveling-containers-heads-yvr-photos-2054517

Paranoia is not limited to a certain race or nationality. 

Stop the madness. 

3 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

But we are more worried about hurting feelings than saving lives. That sounds bat soup crazy but it’s the truth!

Hurting feelings, or losing money?

Edit: likely both

Edited by Kragar
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Paranoia is not limited to a certain race or nationality. 

Stop the madness. 

Ugh I hate people who completely falsify information and then hate people even more who share it without even using critical thinking about it and basically help fuel the hysteria and fear.  Like come on, in that video those 2 posts seemed SO unbelievable just from their titles and it was shared thousands of times, like do people not even watch and actually think or take 40 seconds to google and see if theirs any actual facts behind facebook stories these days?

If it starts spreading in Canada, we should storm parliament hill and force feed the PM and his cabinet a bunch of chinese flu juice, because they're weak sauce and care more about optics in China than the health of Canadian citizens.

I knew I'd be pretty angry if a case showed up in BC, here we are, and I'm angry. 

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Average year in USA

Between 10,000 and 60,000 people die of the flu.........

How many have died  now with this virus...  110 people....

Yep.  The mortality rate of 3% is similar to the flu.  I think the difference is that it can take up to 2 weeks for symptoms to show up.  In those 2 weeks, you can spread the virus unknowingly. 

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

Hurting feelings, or losing money?

Edit: likely both

Exactly a little bit of both. They don’t want any offended backlash by suspending all flights from a country. At the same token, they would never want their tourist money train to stop coming into the station either. 

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Yep.  The mortality rate of 3% is similar to the flu.  I think the difference is that it can take up to 2 weeks for symptoms to show up.  In those 2 weeks, you can spread the virus unknowingly. 

Can the flu also be spread before showing symptoms ? 

From what i am heaing... the people dying have compromised Imune systems...   same as the people that usually die from the flu... no ?

Are we seeing media hysteria.....  The flu can kill over 600,000 per year across the globe......

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

The mortality rate in 'normal' flu is something like 0.1% or less. With a pandemic flu like the Spanish flu or coronavirus that gets to 2-3%, which is somewhat terrifying if the spread rate is also high. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

The mortality rate in 'normal' flu is something like 0.1% or less. With a pandemic flu like the Spanish flu or coronavirus that gets to 2-3%, which is somewhat terrifying if the spread rate is also high. 

I think that is the real fear.  That it can be spread so quickly and is virtually unnoticeable up to 2 weeks.

52 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Average year in USA

Between 10,000 and 60,000 people die of the flu.........

How many have died  now with this virus...  110 people....

Way more people get the flu and the people who die are already immunocompromised. The Coronavirus has a much higher mortality rate and is killing people that are relatively healthier than that of a typical flu death. As has been said the typical flu doesn't have an incubation period of 2 weeks, which is the most frightening aspect of the coronavirus. We've had thousands of people coming from China in planes during that span.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Way more people get the flu and the people who die are already immunocompromised. The Coronavirus has a much higher mortality rate and is killing people that are relatively healthier than that of a typical flu death. As has been said the typical flu doesn't have an incubation period of 2 weeks, which is the most frightening aspect of the coronavirus. We've had thousands of people coming from China in planes during that span.

I thought this coronavirus is mostly killing elderly people in china with compromised immune systems....  same as the people usually killed by flu....

China confirms 5,974 virus cases, exceeding nation's SARS total

The number of confirmed cases in the new virus outbreak in China reached 5,974 on Wednesday, overtaking the number of people infected in the mainland by the SARS epidemic in 2002-2003.

China's national health commission reported more than 1,400 confirmed new cases on Wednesday, as the death toll rose to 132.

There were 5,327 confirmed cases in mainland China during the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) epidemic.

That outbreak killed more than 770 people globally, including 349 in mainland China.

SARS raged for 8 months. China's Coronavirus cases have exceeded it's SARS total in under a month.

Beijing is sending 6000 medical professionals to aid in Hubei province. There's already 4000 medical professionals there.

Does anyone believe 10,000 medical professionals are needed to treat just approx 4500 patients?

Also, Thailand now has 14 cases. I find it hard to believe The Philippines and Indonesia have zero each. Those are just as popular vacation spots for the typical Chinese holiday.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I thought this coronavirus is mostly killing elderly people in china with compromised immune systems....  same as the people usually killed by flu....

I believe I heard a report of it killing a 50 year old (beijing) man and a 36 year old woman is the youngest. After looking it up it appears that most have been seniors after looking more into it, hard to find specific demographics though.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

China confirms 5,974 virus cases, exceeding nation's SARS total

The number of confirmed cases in the new virus outbreak in China reached 5,974 on Wednesday, overtaking the number of people infected in the mainland by the SARS epidemic in 2002-2003.

China's national health commission reported more than 1,400 confirmed new cases on Wednesday, as the death toll rose to 132.

There were 5,327 confirmed cases in mainland China during the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) epidemic.

That outbreak killed more than 770 people globally, including 349 in mainland China.

SARS raged for 8 months. China's Coronavirus cases have exceeded it's SARS total in under a month.

Beijing is sending 6000 medical professionals to aid in Hubei province. There's already 4000 medical professionals there.

Does anyone believe 10,000 medical professionals are needed to treat just approx 4500 patients?

Wow, that sounds very concerning........