The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

We've had speculation in this thread (including some of my own) about the possibility that the Covid-19 virus escaped from a Wuhan Lab.

It's only fair to hear the other side of the story.  The director of the lab, a woman named Shi Zhengli, gave a short interview which is reported on in the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/14/world/asia/china-covid-wuhan-lab-leak.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20210615&instance_id=33017&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=60696&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

While "Shut your stinky mouths" isn't the most compelling argument I've ever heard, she does make a couple of points worth reading.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Went to bed at just before 11 pm tonight totally exhausted, with in a couple of minutes I was shaking so hard I knocked the cat off the bed.

Note to myself and others, do NOT knock the cat off the bed, he definately didn't like that, at all.

Up at 1:30 feeling quesy, but it was better to be upright, suffered an involuntary personal protien spill around 2:30.

Good thing I booked Wed. off.

Definately more intense symptoms  with this second shot. ( AZ and  a Moderna )

Been there done that.  Cat attacked my foot when I was sleeping one time and I instinctively kicked him.  He went about 5 feet into the wall and ran away.  I felt so awful doing it but I didn't even process what was happening, just had claws in my foot and I just kicked him off :(

Hope you feel better today though than you did last night.

Told my wife I want her to go with Pfizer since AZ was her first one. 

Edited by Russ
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, spur1 said:

Don’t mistake intelligence with education. 

17 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

True dat....

Louis Gohmert is a Texas A&M and Baylor Law School grad....and he thinks that the US Forest Service has the ability to alter the orbit of the moon....:picard:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/lunar-new-deal-gop-rep-gohmert-suggests-altering-moon-s-n1270219

15 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Related to our convo yesterday, and intelligence/education,  I grilled my nephew-in-law today.

Part of his issue is that a family friend is a scientist, has his phd, works for Aurora. 

This 'smart' stoner is telling everyone he knows to wait to get vaccinated. He is also trying to get pregnant with his wife. He is saying they rushed the vaccines....don't know enough...blah, blah....don't risk the potential of being infertile. 

I'll keep up the good fight and try to talk some sense...

Had to do a multi-quote when I saw this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-vaccination-rates-education-correlation-1.6063373

Alberta's COVID-19 vaccination rates tied to levels of formal education, data shows

Researchers say correlation can help guide efforts to immunize more people

14 hours ago, gurn said:

Went to bed at just before 11 pm tonight totally exhausted, with in a couple of minutes I was shaking so hard I knocked the cat off the bed.

Note to myself and others, do NOT knock the cat off the bed, he definately didn't like that, at all.

Up at 1:30 feeling quesy, but it was better to be upright, suffered an involuntary personal protien spill around 2:30.

Good thing I booked Wed. off.

Definately more intense symptoms  with this second shot. ( AZ and  a Moderna )

• Haha 2

On 6/15/2021 at 3:55 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

True dat....

Louis Gohmert is a Texas A&M and Baylor Law School grad....and he thinks that the US Forest Service has the ability to alter the orbit of the moon....:picard:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/lunar-new-deal-gop-rep-gohmert-suggests-altering-moon-s-n1270219

:picard:

Nothing there suggests Gohmert thinks it could be done.

But, if you want to criticize educated people for massive mistakes, how about Harvard grad Al Gore's grossly incorrect predictions, or another Harvard grad who spent 8 years in the White House that believes ol' Al and yet still buys multi-million dollar beachfront property.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kragar said:

But, if you want to criticize educated people for massive mistakes, how about Harvard grad Al Gore's grossly incorrect predictions, or another Harvard grad who spent 8 years in the White House that believes ol' Al and yet still buys multi-million dollar beachfront property.

can you elaborate........not that I don't believe you, just wondering which ones

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

can you elaborate........not that I don't believe you, just wondering which ones

He claimed there would be no snow on Kilimanjaro by the time 2016 came along.

He claimed hurricanes were getting  larger and more numerous.

There's a couple.  He's also worried about rising sea levels, but I dont see how that worry jives with the property purchases he, Obama, and other climate change enthusiasts have made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

He claimed there would be no snow on Kilimanjaro by the time 2016 came along.

He claimed hurricanes were getting  larger and more numerous.

There's a couple.  He's also worried about rising sea levels, but I dont see how that worry jives with the property purchases he, Obama, and other climate change enthusiasts have made.

Well I can't speak to their real estate purposes, the ocean are rising.  That is not disputable.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/

Kilimanjaro snow cap and glaciers are shrinking, though not likely due to climate change.

https://www.americanscientist.org/article/the-shrinking-glaciers-of-kilimanjaro-can-global-warming-be-blamed

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Kragar said:

:lol: Right....

...and there's nothing dumb about even asking the question....:rolleyes:

But yes, let's ignore Climate Change denial from a sitting member of congress and instead talk about someone who's been out of politics for two decades....:rolleyes:

BTW: Hurricanes are getting worse: https://www.livescience.com/climate-change-hurricanes-stronger.html

Also reasonably sure Gore said "If we don't change things this will happen".

Over the last couple of decades change has ocurred.

Better emmision controls and efficiency from cars, different fuels and electric is on it's feet now.

Less smoke coming out of stacks, due to new regulation.

And so on...............

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

:lol: Right....

...and there's nothing dumb about even asking the question....:rolleyes:

But yes, let's ignore Climate Change denial from a sitting member of congress and instead talk about someone who's been out of politics for two decades....:rolleyes:

BTW: Hurricanes are getting worse: https://www.livescience.com/climate-change-hurricanes-stronger.html

Are you aware of the stupid questions that get asked by politicians, of all stripes? And how often it is for show?  The reply to Gohmert, along with the smile, suggests she knew it was sarcasm.  It was certainly clear to me.

If you want something more recent, but equally political as your attempt, how about Joe wanting to help all the suffering Libyans north of Israel?

Or more appropriate to the thread, there are plenty of Fauci's statements that were so off base it wasnt funny. But, science, right?

Edit: if you want someone who as science-challenged as you suggest Gohmert is by his statement, there's always Hank Johnson's concern of Guam capsizing over adding troops.

Edited by Kragar
addition

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Also reasonably sure Gore said "If we don't change things this will happen".

Over the last couple of decades change has ocurred.

Better emmision controls and efficiency from cars, different fuels and electric is on it's feet now.

Less smoke coming out of stacks, due to new regulation.

And so on...............

Here, yes.  Globally, hardly.  And ultimately, if we aren't talking about the globe, it doesn't matter.  Even John Kerry recognizes that.

There has not been drastic improvement globally, and Gore demanded drastic improvement.  We've already passed Gore's point of no return, so the question is, was he right when he made the claims?

Gore, no matter how well-intentioned, is a hypocritical hack who doles out worst-case scenarios like candy on Halloween.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Are you aware of the stupid questions that get asked by politicians, of all stripes? And how often it is for show?  The reply to Gohmert, along with the smile, suggests she knew it was sarcasm.  It was certainly clear to me.

If you want something more recent, but equally political as your attempt, how about Joe wanting to help all the suffering Libyans north of Israel?

Or more appropriate to the thread, there are plenty of Fauci's statements that were so off base it wasnt funny. But, science, right?

I love the classic right wing defense for saying something abysmally stupid....."It was sarcasm!". Straight out of the Donald Trump playbook and in response to you initial question, we're closing in on 5000 pages in a thread mainly about Donald Trump, so the answer is a resounding "yes".

Regarding Dr Fauci, he was doing what he could to mitigate the effects of a novel virus. Novel means new, which means the advice changes as you learn more about the virus, it's effects and what measures to take to mitigate those effects.

Meanwhile, we've known for quite a while that the US Forest service doesn't have the ability to alter the orbit of the moon. At least most of us do.

But hey, if whataboutism is the best you can do to defend one of your boys' unbelievably stupid comments, do carry on....you still haven't gotten to Leo Dicaprio or Greta Thunberg...

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I love the classic right wing defense for saying something abysmally stupid....."It was sarcasm!". Straight out of the Donald Trump playbook and in response to you initial question, we're closing in on 5000 pages in a thread mainly about Donald Trump, so the answer is a resounding "yes".

Regarding Dr Fauci, he was doing what he could to mitigate the effects of a novel virus. Novel means new, which means the advice changes as you learn more about the virus, it's effects and what measures to take to mitigate those effects.

Meanwhile, we've known for quite a while that the US Forest service doesn't have the ability to alter the orbit of the moon. At least most of us do.

But hey, if whataboutism is the best you can do to defend one of your boys' unbelievably stupid comments, do carry on....you still haven't gotten to Leo Dicaprio or Greta Thunberg...

Your reply beat my edit, but I added Hank Johnson's question about Guam capsizing if we put more troops there.  Pray tell how this is different than Gohmert.  His staff had no better defense than I gave for Gohmert.

Was Fauci mitigating the virus when he told us not to worry about it, and we should pay more attention to the flu?    Was he mitigating the virus when he wouldn't even consider the hypothesis about a lab leak?  

I think you've missed the memo.  Whataboutism is back in vogue, now that Biden is in office. Gotta protect him by criticizing Trump, right?

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Your reply beat my edit, but I added Hank Johnson's question about Guam capsizing if we put more troops there.  Pray tell how this is different than Gohmert.  His staff had no better defense than I gave for Gohmert.

Was Fauci mitigating the virus when he told us not to worry about it, and we should pay more attention to the flu?    Was he mitigating the virus when he wouldn't even consider the hypothesis about a lab leak?  

I think you've missed the memo.  Whataboutism is back in vogue, now that Biden is in office. Gotta protect him by criticizing Trump, right?

I wish you'd source your claims, so I wouldn't have to waste a bunch of time trying to find out if what you're claiming actually happened or not....

This is what I found on the Fauci claim: https://www.statesman.com/news/20200429/fact-check-did-fauci-say-coronavirus-was-lsquonothing-to-worry-aboutrsquo

Fauci reiterated that COVID-19 “isn’t something the American people need to worry about or be frightened about” because, at the time, it was centered in China and the U.S. could screen travelers from that nation.

But Fauci also twice described the virus as “an evolving situation,” and said, “Every day, we have to look at it very carefully.”

Jurisprudence

On April 13, PolitiFact examined a tweet by Republican DeAnna Lorraine, an unsuccessful California congressional candidate. She said Fauci “was telling people on February 29th that there was nothing to worry about and (COVID-19) posed no threat to the US public at large.”

Lorraine’s statement was ruled Mostly False. Although Fauci said that day he saw no immediate need for social distancing, PolitiFact noted that his comments were “filled with caveats that the situation could change.” And contrary to Lorraine’s tweet, Fauci’s didn’t say then “there was nothing to worry about.”

I think it's pretty clear that at the time, he felt there was nothing for Americans to worry about, because the virus had not yet become a global pandemic. However, he was also pretty clear in saying that the situation could change. I suppose he can be criticized for not being able to tell the future, but I'll leave that to people like you and Tucker Carlson....

As far as criticizing Trump goes, it was his 4 years of lies, denial and rolling back of environmental regulation that set the entire process back, so I'd say that criticism of him and his enablers like Gohmert is on point. If you have a specific criticism of Joe Biden, fill your boots and I'll agree, or disagree, depending on whatever point you're making.

Also the fact that LG was using his stupid remark to try and downplay the reality of Anthropogenic Climate Change makes it somewhat more consequential than someone saying that an island might tip over, whether he meant the remark literally or figuratively, IMO....YMMV...