The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

On 9/26/2020 at 2:21 AM, gurn said:

Now back to Sweden

This site shows Sweden with 85,043 current cases, and 581 dead per million pop.

Finland                                           1,291                                   63                                                                     

Norway                                           2,904                                  50                                                 

Canada                                        11,649                                  244     

USA                                            2,549,868                               628             

http://www.covid-19canada.com/

We're pretty relaxed over here.

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

My recommendation.  Less Vicodine - try aleve - should solve some of your issues.... 

Aleve after hockey seems to do the trick. 

As with any medical advice, it should only be with consultation with a doctor. 

There has been some association with water retention and heart attacks so each person should be advised by a doctor who knows their history/risk factors.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Quebec with almost 900 new cases today.

Ontario not terribly far behind

Ontario::picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/huge-crowds-show-up-in-wasaga-beach-ont-for-car-rally-despite-coronavirus-restrictions/ar-BB19ttIl?ocid=msedgntp

Huge crowds took over the Town of Wasaga Beach on Saturday for a car rally despite provincial gathering restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Nina Bifolchi, the town's mayor, said officials were aware of plans for the event for a couple of weeks after posts began to appear on social media.

"We didn't know how many would really show up because again it's all over social media," she told Global News.

"The organizers are unnamed and unaccountable really for these types of events. So it's really hard to nail down what was going to happen."

But Bifolchi said what ended up transpiring on Saturday was the "biggest uncontrollable event" she has seen in her 14 years on council.

"There was just too many people to control. They were on every corner, they were in every parking lot," Bifolchi said.

"And really the OPP along with all of their resources did a fantastic job -- the best that they could in this situation."

People first began coming into the town on Friday.

Images posted to social media showed huge crowds lining the streets and cars performing stunts. Many people did not appear to be wearing masks.

The event came one week after Premier Doug Ford's government announced new restrictions for private or unmonitored gatherings amid rising coronavirus cases. Indoor

gatherings are now limited to 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors. Organizers of events in violation of the rules could face a fine of at least $10,000 and attendees could be fined $750.

On Sept. 19 an impromptu car rally was held in Hamilton, leading to sharp criticism from officials, including Ford who called it "reckless behaviour."

A spokesperson for Ford also commented on Saturday's rally in Wasaga Beach.

“The premier has been very clear, these large unorganized gatherings are irresponsible and unacceptable," Ivana Yelich said in a statement.

"As cases continue to climb in Ontario, we must work together to control the spread of COVID-19. Our collective actions will determine how severe any potential waves will be."

OPP Sgt. Jason Folz said a number of tickets were handed out for violations under the Highway Traffic Act and some cars were towed.

Folz also said a "significant amount" of charges were laid under the Reopening Ontario Act for gathering violations, but didn't provide specific figures. He said more charges could be laid on Sunday because some individuals were still in the town for the rally.

Read more: New COVID-19 gathering restrictions expanded to all of Ontario

"It was a lot of unsafe activity going on. People in the middle of the street, standing in the street drinking while holding up signs, trying to get people to spin their tires," Biofolchi said.

"To have this group come and take over your town with no regard for anyone else or the cost to the province -- to have all the resources in place -- is absolutely disgusting."

Biofolchi said OPP officers set up checkpoints around the town prior to the event to look for illegal car modifications, but after so many people showed up, officers used the checkpoints to prevent any non-residents from entering.

Biofolchi said Sunday morning that she was unsure as to whether or not those restrictions were still in place.

Meanwhile, Ontario reported 491 new coronavirus cases on Sunday marking the largest single-day increase in cases since May 2.

A bunch of selfish, brainless fools.  I mean, the guy interviewed gives you an idea of how much more horsepower than brainpower was present.

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/we-re-going-to-take-over-again-next-year-car-enthusiasts-vow-to-return-to-wasaga-beach-1.5122496

Whatever spins your tires I guess.   But pffffft...please....let's see some muscle cars if we're gonna act all tough and defiant.  

Losers Club spokesman:

image.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The total coronavirus deaths crossed one million.

Unfortunate for sure.  About 150,000 people die everyday around the world.   So in a year at the moment that 1 million of Covid deaths (if you trust the numbers) is 7 days of excess or extra death for the world.  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

29 minutes ago, samurai said:

Unfortunate for sure.  About 150,000 people die everyday around the world.   So in a year at the moment that 1 million of Covid deaths (if you trust the numbers) is 7 days of excess or extra death for the world.  

Wondering why Japan does such low numbers of   both covid testing and contact tracing ?  Any idea ?

Does Japan only test people VERY sick with covid symptoms... ?

Would Japan have 10 times their published numbers  with more common testing levels ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wondering why Japan does such a poor job of both covid testing and contact tracing ?  Any idea ?

Wonder what Japan's covid numbers would be if they did more like other countries are doing ?

Does Japan only test people VERY sick with covid symptoms... ?

Would Japan have 10 times their published numbers  with more common testing levels ?

Early on they didn't see much use in widespread testing.  Contract tracing works in situations where infection is extremely low (e.g Taiwan) and that only happened in countries that understood what was going on.  Japan wasn't one of them.  The genie was out of the bottle here well before action was taken.  As a side note the experts in France think the virus was circulating widely in France Nov. of last year well before they knew what was going on.  I suspect the same here.

If you insist on taking a test you can get one.  Otherwise you have to meet the protocols or be caught in contact tracing.  

The general consensus here is that it is widely spread but people are just not getting sick from it.  Many academics think that something circulated in this part of the world that has muted the Covid impact in many countries in Asia. 

But yes if the gov't wanted to test everyone we would have high infection numbers for sure.  Tokyo still has about 200 cases a day depending which day of the week.  As far as Covid deaths I am sure they are verified correctly here.  

I joke with my friends that most places you go here it is the  'old norm inside the new norm'.  By this I mean masks, sanitizer, 2 meter markers are all part of getting into somewhere but once you are in all that goes out the window.   Line ups dwindle down from 2 metre spacing  to 10 cm.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, samurai said:

Seriously, stfu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, samurai said:

Ya?  And every day we have mitigation for almost every one of those 150,00 deaths outside of old age.

We have ZERO  mitigation for Covid, that's 1 million deaths since about March ish and that's AFTER every major nation int he world shut down everything.

You're essentially the hipster equivalent of theYanks skipping through Target insulting everyone wearing masks blaring "we're not gonna take it" as a protest against restrictions.  We get it.  You think it's a big fat nothing burger.  Thanks.  The rest of us are actually genuinely still concerned over it so take your attention seeking dismissals elsewhere

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

Seriously, stfu

Right?

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ya?  And every day we have mitigation for almost every one of those 150,00 deaths outside of old age.

We have ZERO  mitigation for Covid, that's 1 million deaths since about March ish and that's AFTER every major nation int he world shut down everything.

You're essentially the hipster equivalent of theYanks skipping through Target insulting everyone wearing masks blaring "we're not gonna take it" as a protest against restrictions.  We get it.  You think it's a big fat nothing burger.  Thanks.  The rest of us are actually genuinely still concerned over it so take your attention seeking dismissals elsewhere

Right?

breathe deeply and try not to panic

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/26/2020 at 10:39 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Please keep on topic as this is straying (a lot lately)....the politics have their own thread(s).  While there will be some tie ins (Gov't action/inaction/etc.), the focus is on COVID and sharing information/thoughts/ideas on that.

Thanks.

I wish... Covid fear spreading mongers on one side... people looking for answers and concerned about civil liberties on the other.

Take a guess which side is the aggressor around here.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Wow you just got attacked. Nice to know CDC at its core aren't into people sharing their opinions. This thread is glaringly showing people's true colours. 

Really disappointing.

I actually enjoy reading all kinds of opinions... even the ones i disagree with.  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Wow you just got attacked. Nice to know CDC at its core aren't into people sharing their opinions. This thread is glaringly showing people's true colours. 

Really disappointing.

Respectfully,

There's only so much dismissal of a change in to entire fabric of our nation while people continue to get sick, die or worse become permanently affected before I'll respond.

Finally knowing someone who died from this, sending my kids off to an educational petri dish daily, seeing my business crater only to come here and have someone not even residing here essentially skiff it off with an air of superiority is infuriating.

If people's feelings are hurt, I'm not even remotely sorry.  This is serious.  The scientists and experts agree to a near person it's serious.  I'll give them far more heed than someone telling us otherwise on a hockey forum 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1