The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

So, 3 of the 4 family members are just experiencing a 'bad cold'.

However 1 is struggling, bedridden, fevers coming and going. 

It is still flu season and the cold is still around.  

That being said, now is not the time to be a hero and to tough things out.

Get the very ill one to the hospital or whatever for a quick test.  

• Vintage 3

On 2/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, 4petesake said:

Yes as well as people who normally wear eyeglasses tend to touch their eyes less. Not so sure if that’s true though speaking as a person who wears reading glasses and rubs his eyes a lot.

I've worn glasses for most of my life. I can't really speak for people who don't wear glasses at all, but I tend to rub my eyes when needed and never really think like there's glasses stopping me from doing so. My guess would be it's mostly shielding really. But who knows. I'm just one person and other people could be different.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

It is still flu season and the cold is still around.  

That being said, now is not the time to be a hero and to tough things out.

Get the very ill one to the hospital or whatever for a quick test.  

We will  he is the oldest of the 4 with Covid (already had the tests). In his mid 50's but he is in very good physical shape. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Huggy Bear 4

15 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So the good the new case number is dropping to 395.

The bad is 10 new deaths.

1,348 total deaths in BC. 78,673 total cases. 

Give you an idea of perspective. Miami-Dade County alone: 405,562 total cases and 5,353 deaths. 

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

US                 520,980 deaths         23.79 times our deaths

Canada          21,893 deaths                

The U.S is about 9 times our population   331,002,651    or 8.77 times

Canada                                                              37,742,154

The vaccine roll out is going better in the states, but that is the only thing they have done better, while fighting with covid.

Edit to add

Current cases US 9,101,432         297.8 times the current cases of Canada

Canada                       30,561

Edited by gurn

1 hour ago, gurn said:

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

US                 520,980 deaths         23.79 times our deaths

Canada          21,893 deaths                

The U.S is about 9 times our population   331,002,651    or 8.77 times

Canada                                                              37,742,154

The vaccine roll out is going better in the states, but that is the only thing they have done better, while fighting with covid.

Edit to add

Current cases US 9,101,432         297.8 times the current cases of Canada

Canada                       30,561

Before Canadians start patting themselves on the back.... the US also tested more per capita than Canada.

The US is approximately has 106% of the population tested (most likely lots of people being tested multiple times).... whereas Canada is currently at 63%.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:COVID-19_testing_by_country

A million different reasons for stark differences in numbers though.  

7 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/astrazeneca-approved-1.5929050

Health Canada approves AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine

Canada's regulator estimates vaccine's efficacy at 62.1%

The question is would you choose Astra over Pfizer and Moderna which has efficiency of over 90% compared to Astra's 62%?   Especially  when some reports say it is not very effective against new variants.

3 hours ago, DonLever said:

The question is would you choose Astra over Pfizer and Moderna which has efficiency of over 90% compared to Astra's 62%?   Especially  when some reports say it is not very effective against new variants.

Wonder what would happen if you got, say, the AstraZeneca shots and then, a few months later, got the Pfizer shots.

Would you get a boost in immunity that was higher than the efficacy of either?  Would you simply get the efficiency of the highest rated vaccine?  Would you turn into a werewolf?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Wonder what would happen if you got, say, the AstraZeneca shots and then, a few months later, got the Pfizer shots.

Would you get a boost in immunity that was higher than the efficacy of either?  Would you simply get the efficiency of the highest rated vaccine?  Would you turn into a werewolf?

Definitely turn into a werewolf with the added bonus of boosted immunity to COVID (unless either vaccine has silver in it, then you're screwed).

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DonLever said:

https://www.ft.com/content/20576254-422b-4545-91ab-20b4d005bbf3

It's still a very effective vaccine at preventing death and hospitalizations.  This study found that 3 weeks after the first shot of PFE, there was an 85% reduction in hospitalizations.  3 weeks after the first shot of OAZ, there was a 94% reduction in hospitalizations.  

I would be fine with taking it.  It could speed up Trudeau's September timeline for all adults done, by a couple months.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I'll wait then.

Same.  Given the fact I'd want the good vaccine after, I'm just wasting a spot that would be taken by someone who's fine with the risk of the Astra.  Would much prefer to keep doing what I'm doing for a couple more months if it means getting something that actually works properly.

• Cheers 2

The important thing to note about all these vaccines. J and J included is that some weeks after getting them, your chance of being hospitalized or killed by COVID is essentially 0. The 62% is referring to the fact that you have a reduced chance at getting COVID, which is great, but you won't die from it, or get really sick. With Astrazeneca now available, that means that the restrictions will be lifted sooner and less people will die / get really sick. I would gladly take J and J or Astrazeneca if offered to me and would be very happy if offered to my family and friends too. 

Edited by Biasbieksa
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Mixed brand scheduling is being studied in UK now.  It will likely be fine since they are all designed to mount immunity to the same spike protein, but we will have to wait and see. 

• Thanks 1