The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

The fans all have to show proof that they've been vaccinated. Yet, the NHL can't get their act together and do proper testing on the players, you know, the bread and butter of the product. The NHL and the Canucks sure dropped the ball on this. Then we hear Dr Henry say she wasn't aware of the first two Canucks testing positive. She gave this organization an opportunity to play to capacity, yet somehow a memo doesn't get to her, or the BC health offices.

Well omicron is kind of making that meaningless.

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Unless there is considerable increase in hospitalizations then nothing should change and we should carry on.

I agree there, the severity will be the determining factor.  Until they know that, though, they need to err on the side of extreme caution

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

There's no credible evidence of that at this point

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL1N2SV1FG

You are correct, there is nothing that really says that, but what we do know is, in March, we had one player show up to a practice after being exposed to Delta the day before. Within a few days, 21 players and pretty much all coaches were testing positive. The Coaches at the time, were using KN95 masks, which are fairly close in capability to the 3M N95.

So, what happened here? There was one guy who was infected who WASN'T wearing a mask, and even the guys who were, got it! Masks really help to prevent spread from people who have it already, but most masks, except the really expensive ones, don't do as much as people think, to prevent it from getting in. Has to be tight fitting around the nose to really work.

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You are correct, there is nothing that really says that, but what we do know is, in March, we had one player show up to a practice after being exposed to Delta the day before. Within a few days, 21 players and pretty much all coaches were testing positive. The Coaches at the time, were using KN95 masks, which are fairly close in capability to the 3M N95.

So, what happened here? There was one guy who was infected who WASN'T wearing a mask, and even the guys who were, got it! Masks really help to prevent spread from people who have it already, but most masks, except the really expensive ones, don't do as much as people think, to prevent it from getting in. Has to be tight fitting around the nose to really work.

well seeing how some people are wearing masks below their nose, its not surprising that they would have limited effectiveness

At that point they might as well take their masks off.

Saw this at some of the restaurants that I have been to.  

Its even worse down south.  Its like a joke to them.

• Thanks 1

Just now, coho8888 said:

well seeing how some people are wearing masks below their nose, its not surprising that they would have limited effectiveness

At that point they might as well take their masks off.

Saw this at some of the restaurants that I have been to.  

Its even worse down south.  Its like a joke to them.

This as well! Did you see BB on the bench last night? That's how he's wearing it! It does nothing like that.

39 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I should say, it does sound like it may be the case and "not credible" probably wasn't the right phrase.  Not peer reviewed yet is more accurate

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

The fans all have to show proof that they've been vaccinated. Yet, the NHL can't get their act together and do proper testing on the players, you know, the bread and butter of the product. The NHL and the Canucks sure dropped the ball on this. Then we hear Dr Henry say she wasn't aware of the first two Canucks testing positive. She gave this organization an opportunity to play to capacity, yet somehow a memo doesn't get to her, or the BC health offices.

I'm not a fan of Dr Henry but now I hate her.

No clue why she isn't checking out the game day thread to see who's in and out of the lineup.

We are all busy but the fact that she can't stay up to date on the Canucks is disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think rinks need to be empty, but I would clear about 4 or 5 rows around the benches and penalty box.

What? Why? 

The players are not any more important than other humans. Either separate everyone or don't. 

8 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I feel like the Omicron variant may signal the end of this pandemic, just mild symptoms and not deadly (as far as I know of).

That's my hope for sure.  I don't want to roll the dice until we have more data though.  I don't think it will be as mild for the unvaccinated, but that's their problem.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I feel like the Omicron variant may signal the end of this pandemic, just mild symptoms and not deadly (as far as I know of).

Heard similar.  Apparently this is what happened to the Spanish Flu pandemic.  It mutated into a more contagious variant, but with milder (flu-like) symptoms.  And we have the vaccines, which even reduces the risk of symptoms a lot more.  Still a bit early, but the outlook is hopeful

• Like 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

That's my hope for sure.  I don't want to roll the dice until we have more data though.  I don't think it will be as mild for the unvaccinated, but that's their problem.  

So true.  Getting vaccinated is so important.