The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2021, 86.6% (4,316,478) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.4% (4,105,425) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.5% (4,243,021) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 88.6% (4,105,385) received their second dose and 13% (610,196) have received a third dose.

Also, 91.9% (3,975,788) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.1% (3,852,330) received their second dose and 14% (609,466) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 519 new cases of COVID-19, including eight epi-linked cases, for a total of 223,661 cases in the province.

There are 3,171 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 218,001 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 191 individuals are in hospital and 81 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 110 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 872
  • 106 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 669
  • 145 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 612
  • 34 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 213
  • 123 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 804
  • one new case of a person who resides outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: one

In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,386.

There have been 44 cases of the Omicron variant of concern identified in B.C.:

• Fraser Health: 24
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: 11
  • Interior Health: three
  • Northern Health: one
  • Island Health: five

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks, for a total of three facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Ponderosa Lodge (Interior Health)

acute care:

• Ridge Meadows Hospital (Fraser Health)

assisted or independent living:

• Laurier Manor (Northern Health)

Note: Due to a delayed refresh in data, the update on cases and hospitalizations by vaccination status is not available today.

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,001,045 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0078-002393

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2021, 86.6% (4,316,478) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.4% (4,105,425) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.5% (4,243,021) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 88.6% (4,105,385) received their second dose and 13% (610,196) have received a third dose.

Also, 91.9% (3,975,788) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.1% (3,852,330) received their second dose and 14% (609,466) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 519 new cases of COVID-19, including eight epi-linked cases, for a total of 223,661 cases in the province.

There are 3,171 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 218,001 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 191 individuals are in hospital and 81 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 110 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 872
  • 106 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 669
  • 145 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 612
  • 34 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 213
  • 123 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 804
  • one new case of a person who resides outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: one

In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,386.

There have been 44 cases of the Omicron variant of concern identified in B.C.:

• Fraser Health: 24
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: 11
  • Interior Health: three
  • Northern Health: one
  • Island Health: five

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks, for a total of three facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Ponderosa Lodge (Interior Health)

acute care:

• Ridge Meadows Hospital (Fraser Health)

assisted or independent living:

• Laurier Manor (Northern Health)

Note: Due to a delayed refresh in data, the update on cases and hospitalizations by vaccination status is not available today.

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,001,045 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0078-002393

I step forward, two steps back. 2020 all over again.

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm genuinely curious to know how many of the 500+ cases are people who have been in attendance at Canucks games this past week, particularly in the lower bowl.

145 cases in Interior Health, could be many working on the front lines of disaster relief. Flooding, road repair, and all the volunteers helping. The highest of all jurisdictions reporting in BC.

11 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

145 cases in Interior Health, could be many working on the front lines of disaster relief. Flooding, road repair, and all the volunteers helping. The highest of all jurisdictions reporting in BC.

Or it could be The Kelownafornian Alberta transplants who simply refuse to do anything that mildly inconveniences them.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Or it could be The Kelownafornian Alberta transplants who simply refuse to do anything that mildly inconveniences them.

We have the same problem in the East Kootenays. There is so many they even voted for the Cons. 

9 hours ago, Ogopogo_is_real said:

Hi all, im new to this forum and am a little concerned 

I don't identify as left or right wing (although I did vote liberal in the last few elections) This has nothing to do with politics

I work for the hospital and have received my two does of moderna without issue and was convinced that the vaccines were "safe and effective".

Looking back at the last 6 months or so there are a few things that don't add up.

For one, I know personally know more people that have had adverse reactions to the jab than people who have even caught covid, let alone died or were hospitalized

Here's the list I've complied:

• A good friend in her early forties developed myocarditis right after her 2nd jab and is still recovering months later. 
  • My sisters good friend developed gillian barres syndrome 2 weeks after her 2nd jab. She was in a wheelchair for a couple weeks and is luckily walking again now
  • My brother in-laws boss had a heart attack and died unexpectedly a week after his second jab 
  • My brother in laws nephew got the jab at 12 years of age last week. He fell unconscious within 10 minutes after the jab. 2 days later he was having a haircut and fell unconscious again. they suspect heart issues. 

I realize this is all hearsay, but its very real in my world. Perhaps all these events are coincidence but that seems unlikely. 

My question is this, does anybody else on here have similar stories? 

This is what drives me crazy. My personal experience makes me question what the experts are telling me. This is exactly why misinformation and disinformation is believed by so many. If anyone knew anything about statistics, probability, data and science they’d realize that there will always be those who experience things opposite to what the overall data says. That doesn’t make the science wrong, in fact that lends credibility to the data itself because if you had 100% of people experiencing the exact same thing then that data would be faulty and non-believable.

Realize that if your own personal experience doesn’t match with what the health care professionals say then your situation is uncommon and actually proves the science to be reliable.

Get vaxxed, wear a mask and then all of us can get on living our lives as safely as possible.

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, reyezone said:

I know a bunch of peeps injured post vaccination. Bllod clots, arthritis, heart attack... when I say a bunch I mean 5 I personally know. I don’t personally know anyone who was hospitalized with covid-19. 

There’s so much more information needed before being able to say the vaccines themselves injured those people. How old were they? Who is overweight? Who smokes? Who eats badly? Who has diabetes? Who has a heart condition? Who has another ailment? Who has suffered these same problems before? Who has a genetic defect? Who uses drugs? Who is overweight? I could sit here for hours listing all the questions that could point to these problems not being from the vaccines themselves.

Or maybe they are a part of the rare group that does face adverse reactions after taking the vaccine. This only means that the data being given to us is reliable. People die from taking Advil and Tylenol too. Every drug ever given to anyone in history has never had a 100% success rate. It’s theoretically impossible unless the information is wrong.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

Serious adverse events after COVID-19 vaccination are rare but may occur.

Reports of adverse events to VAERS following vaccination, including deaths, do not necessarily mean that a vaccine caused a health problem.

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

the anti-vaxxers that choose not to take it simply don't want to live with the consequences of their choice. Tough $&!#, you made a choice, but they won't man up and deal with it. Instead they want to threaten people, etc. Why on earth would anyone sympathize or be tolerant of those folks?

Exactly right

I’m hearing Canada will reapply its advisory against non essential travel tomorrow. My family booked a trip to Mexico over the Christmas break. I realize this is a first world problem for me to have to cancel, but damn, I’ve taken my two shots, booster, kids are vaccinated, we’ve worn masks everywhere, played by all the rules, and after a year and a half of no travel, we were so looking to celebrate a milestone birthday in a fun way.   And it seems like this new variant is simply helping us get to where society will be soon: living with a mild variant like any flu. Maybe it’s helping us get there faster, and authorities aren’t helping in this case.

Edited by Slegr

Considering one year ago regular Canadian citizens started getting vaccinated, its sad that we're still talking about travel restrictions and limitations on public gatherings.

We are so close to achieving north of 90% full vaccination, a shot for under 5, and Pfizer's antiviral pill is close to approval.   

I am hopeful that the light at the end of the tunnel is close.   

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/coronavirus/2020/12/14/1_5230184.html

V-Day': First COVID-19 vaccines administered in Canada

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I’m hearing Canada will reapply its advisory against non essential travel tomorrow. My family booked a trip to Mexico over the Christmas break. I realize this is a first world problem for me to have to cancel, but damn, I’ve taken my two shots, booster, kids are vaccinated, we’ve worn masks everywhere, played by all the rules, and after a year and a half of no travel, we were so looking to celebrate a milestone birthday in a fun way.   And it seems like this new variant is simply helping us get to where society will be soon: living with a mild variant like any flu. Maybe it’s helping us get there faster, and authorities aren’t helping in this case.

I think we're all a little guilty of pandemic hubris.  We shouldnt have been opening borders, encouraging travel etc yet

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

We'll eventually find out,  but I'd rather keep things under control until we do.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think we're all a little guilty of pandemic hubris.  We shouldnt have been opening borders, encouraging travel etc yet

It's our nature.  Even during the Spanish flu pandemic, there were jurisdictions that implemented public health initiatives late and/or relaxed them early.  Those jurisdictions saw higher death rates.  History repeated. 

Both early response and not relaxing early are discussed in this from 2007.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/rapid-response-was-crucial-containing-1918-flu-pandemic

32 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think I would do 2 things right now for NHL.

1. Cancel Olympics participation

2. Pause the season for 10 to 14 days and tell all players to isolate and then restart with stricter protocols.

Its a pretty predictable path they've taken with a full schedule against American teams in cities and states that have pretty much given up on the pandemic.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Its a pretty predictable path they've taken with a full schedule against American teams in cities and states that have pretty much given up on the pandemic.

Omicron is going to drive hard for the next few months, I think the league needs to have a short reset, or they are going to heavily cut into quality of the on ice product with too many players missing.

The speed that Omicron is spreading at, I think it's the right course to take.

• Huggy Bear 1

52 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Omicron is going to drive hard for the next few months, I think the league needs to have a short reset, or they are going to heavily cut into quality of the on ice product with too many players missing.

The speed that Omicron is spreading at, I think it's the right course to take.

I'll bet, at the least, Canadian rinks will be empty, or reduced capacity at least.  When you watch a game, I see about 20% mask coverage, tops

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'll bet, at the least, Canadian rinks will be empty, or reduced capacity at least.  When you watch a game, I see about 20% mask coverage, tops

I don't think rinks need to be empty, but I would clear about 4 or 5 rows around the benches and penalty box.

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

The fans all have to show proof that they've been vaccinated. Yet, the NHL can't get their act together and do proper testing on the players, you know, the bread and butter of the product. The NHL and the Canucks sure dropped the ball on this. Then we hear Dr Henry say she wasn't aware of the first two Canucks testing positive. She gave this organization an opportunity to play to capacity, yet somehow a memo doesn't get to her, or the BC health offices.