The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

I hope the government makes some changes to the emergency benefit program. This virus has taken a large crap on my career plans, but recent university grads like me aren't eligible for the program.

I will say though, props to the government for getting this program ready relatively quick; definitely fast by government standards. There must have been hundreds of public servants working their asses off on this. But I guess we're also going to have to see how smooth registration will be this week. 

• Thanks 1

Alberta’s government is using coronavirus as a shield for laying off education workers

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/opinion/article-albertas-government-is-using-coronavirus-as-a-shield-for-laying-off/

On March 28, Alberta chose to lay off roughly 25,000 education workers, including those providing critical support to many families now struggling to provide home schooling with the kindergarten-to-Grade 12 system shut down.

If true...what a crap move.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Petey40 said:

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200406/p2g/00m/0na/037000c

Things starting to look more bleak for Japan. PM intends to declare state of emergency.

Nobody knows what it will entail.  Schools have already been closed since late Feb. All major events and leagues even earlier.  All kinds of flight bans are already in place including from Canada.  Most companies well over a month ago started homework and so forth.  Major stores closed on the weekends.   Flights and bullet train numbers between cities and regions are at record lows already. 

The numbers reflect testing of sick people.  There is no wide random sampling taking place.  To date nationally they have 104 deaths, 64 severe cases (no info on recovery or not) and overall 3865 cases to date.  The Osaka and Tokyo governors who have being pressuring the National gov't started exactly the day after the Olympics were postponed.  Apparently, it is just a coincidence that numbers went up the next day. That has seriously irked people.  There will more than likely be a run on the food stores again.  The second time wasn't bad but there is always a %.

It gives local gov't powers but doesn't mean they will be applied.  The National gov't also can override and extreme measures taken.  So basically the Tokyo governor has to run her plan past the National gov't.   Nobody, believes what has occurred in the US for example will be applied here.  I live next to Tokyo and the cases are small here and not growing.  It remains to be seen if we follow what Tokyo does.  Some areas have only a few cases so hard to see them using the powers.

I wouldn't say looking bleak it has already been bad for months for certain groups of the population.   Typical muddling from the gov't.  My own view is that most people have been very good with social distancing.  Tokyo is already a ghost town.    I think it shows the limits of what social distancing can do once you lose ability to contain.  Test and track works well if you get on it early.  But since it is an airborne virus you cannot really track who you breathed on.

I

Edited by samurai
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, samurai said:

Nobody knows what it will entail.  Schools have already been closed since late Feb. All major events and leagues even earlier.  All kinds of flight bans are already in place including from Canada.  Most companies well over a month ago started homework and so forth.  Major stores closed on the weekends.   Flights and bullet train numbers between cities and regions are at record lows already. 

The numbers reflect testing of sick people.  There is no wide random sampling taking place.  To date nationally they have 104 deaths, 64 severe cases (no info on recovery or not) and overall 3865 cases to date.  The Osaka and Tokyo governors who have being pressuring the National gov't started exactly the day after the Olympics were postponed.  Apparently, it is just a coincidence that numbers went up the next day. That has seriously irked people.  There will more than likely be a run on the food stores again.  The second time wasn't bad but there is always a %.

It gives local gov't powers but doesn't mean they will be applied.  The National gov't also can override and extreme measures taken.  So basically the Tokyo governor has to run her plan past the National gov't.   Nobody, believes what has occurred in the US for example will be applied here.  I live next to Tokyo and the cases are small here and not growing.  It remains to be seen if we follow what Tokyo does.  Some areas have only a few cases so hard to see them using the powers.

I wouldn't say looking bleak it has already been bad for months for certain groups of the population.   Typical muddling from the gov't.  My own view is that most people have been very good with social distancing.  Tokyo is already a ghost town.    I think it shows the limits of what social distancing can do once you lose ability to contain.  Test and track works well if you get on it early.  But since it is an airborne virus you cannot really track who you breathed on.

I

Expert: Tokyo could be he next New York City for COVID-19: https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/04/03/tokyo-japan-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic-hotbed-shinzo-abe-ripley-pkg-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus-intl/

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I was slow to identify your profile photo -  ironic.  As for the CNN piece, the average person in Tokyo I think has been doing everything they can since late Feb.  There was some creep but this idea that the gov't has had to plea for people to stay home only came about when the Olympics were cancelled.  Late Feb. schools were closed and all events as well.  People were being responsible for the most part, as the weather got better and the gov't slept more and more people started going out again - end of March is the end of the year here, all kinds of parties and events.  But until March 23 or whatever day the postponement took place they (the PM and governor) were not saying boo.  

As for the doctor.  Saying Tokyo could be like NY is completely off the mark.  I cannot recall any Japanese health expert, official or doctor making such a comment to a Japanese audience.   It borders on absurdity.   

When I first moved here  many years ago Camus was one of the writers that helped me adjust to life here. 

1 hour ago, samurai said:

I was slow to identify your profile photo -  ironic.  As for the CNN piece, the average person in Tokyo I think has been doing everything they can since late Feb.  There was some creep but this idea that the gov't has had to plea for people to stay home only came about when the Olympics were cancelled.  Late Feb. schools were closed and all events as well.  People were being responsible for the most part, as the weather got better and the gov't slept more and more people started going out again - end of March is the end of the year here, all kinds of parties and events.  But until March 23 or whatever day the postponement took place they (the PM and governor) were not saying boo.  

As for the doctor.  Saying Tokyo could be like NY is completely off the mark.  I cannot recall any Japanese health expert, official or doctor making such a comment to a Japanese audience.   It borders on absurdity.   

When I first moved here  many years ago Camus was one of the writers that helped me adjust to life here. 

It sounds like the government had their heads in the sand for a while and as a result allowed the public too much autonomy to keep transmission low. 

I mentioned recently in the thread in response to Sweden's strategy that culture norms absolutely come into play, and places like Sweden and Japan have greater social cohesion and thus a higher likelihood to do the right thing in general, which can keep transmission low, but this doesn't work everywhere and a massive outbreak can also still happen in places like Japan due to the very long incubation period and high transmissions rate. We're now likely seeing both Sweden and Japan pivot with their strategies.

The concern is relying on the public to do the right thing and hoping cities won't turn into NYC, but this is one of the debates going on: do you allow for greater freedoms and hope people do the right thing and then react if/when an outbreak happens, or is it better to be proactive and restrict freedoms in an effort to try and prevent it as best as possible from happening before it's too late? 

Also, I'm interested to hear the irony behind my profile pic and how he helped you adjust to life in Japan.

29 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

It sounds like the government had their heads in the sand for a while and as a result allowed the public too much autonomy to keep transmission low. 

I mentioned recently in the thread in response to Sweden's strategy that culture norms absolutely come into play, and places like Sweden and Japan have greater social cohesion and thus a higher likelihood to do the right thing in general, which can keep transmission low, but this doesn't work everywhere and a massive outbreak can also still happen in places like Japan due to the very long incubation period and high transmissions rate. We're now likely seeing both Sweden and Japan pivot with their strategies.

The concern is relying on the public to do the right thing and hoping cities won't turn into NYC, but this is one of the debates going on: do you allow for greater freedoms and hope people do the right thing and then react if/when an outbreak happens, or is it better to be proactive and restrict freedoms in an effort to try and prevent it as best as possible from happening before it's too late? 

Also, I'm interested to hear the irony behind my profile pic and how he helped you adjust to life in Japan.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/sweden-prepares-to-tighten-coronavirus-measures-as-death-toll-climbs

They might pay for their approach

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

Nope. 
We have OnRoute here in Ontario. Stops on the highway with some restaurants, gas stations and so on...

Snowbirds...750,000 of ‘em.

Quebec closed its borders with New York early so they all drove all the way into Ontario via Buffalo, Hamilton, Toronto, Kingston, and everything in between until they got home, parked their rig, and hugged everyone.

Since when did provinces have the authority to close national borders? A Canadian citizen presenting at a crossing cannot be refused. 

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

They found a set of men's runners in the pen too! :shock:

Just the runners?

Now I have this mental image of the tiger digging in the runners, trying to get the feet out.....kind of like when you're eating Junior Mints and a couple of them get wedged in the bottom....

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Since when did provinces have the authority to close national borders? A Canadian citizen presenting at a crossing cannot be refused. 

Well, no other Province has that right.

You see, Quebec was declared a “nation” a few years back.

They also have two governments; the National government (Quebec) and the Federal Government (Canada), unlike any other Province or Territory.

Its a bit weird. Instead of paying your taxes to Victoria for both Provincial and Federal taxes, you pay your taxes to Quebec and to Ottawa.

When you send in your taxes, you send it to two totally different entities. 

Basically that other Government is a ready-to-go government in case of separation.

The National Government has a bit more clout on its territory than other Provinces.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, samurai said:

Good luck to you there, Japan is an amazing place and i have no doubt people there will do whats needed. 

30 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Many provinces, territories enforcing border checkpoints and travel restrictions

Quebec has also closed its regional borders within the Province. 18 regions. Can’t travel within Quebec anymore.

thats best. Quebec is quickly getting out of hand. Looking at the trend they may have more cases than the rest of the country combined by the end of next week if they can't get a better handle on things. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, samurai said:

Some suspect Japan's numbers have remained low because they aren't testing much...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/30/national/japan-social-distancing/#.XotI9tNKhBx

Some have attributed the country’s existing mask-wearing etiquette to the lack of cases, while critics argue that not enough testing has been conducted nationwide to get a full picture of an epidemic that might be lurking relatively unseen.

I guess only time will tell who's doing it "right/wrong" and determine overall success in a long range picture.  It's why I take our low numbers with a grain of salt...they're related to people being tested but that leaves a whole lot of people out there who are not.  So I expect it's much higher and is just a gauge to see if it explodes or stays stable.

Without shutting things down who knows what the future holds?  I prefer our way in a better safe than sorry....lives are more important than personal freedom in a momentary pause for a greater good.  IF those freedoms were to be permanently removed, we'd have a problem....but I can't see that unfolding.  Especially in place where democracies are in place.