The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, TheAce said:

On a side note, Alberta is stepping up to help other provinces with PPE

I am proud that my province is doing this. As it should be - Canadians helping Canadians. We brought in a lot of money for Canada (and subsequent equalization payments to provinces) as well when oil was booming. 

Unfortunately, we haven't had a lot of help with getting our main industry back on track from either the feds or the BC government, and I expect after the outbreak ends we will be forgotten again.

At least Keystone is gonna be a go after extensive delays largely thanks to Horgan. It isn't all Alberta needs, but it will help a lot.

As an (now) Albertan, I look forward to our own provincial recovery which will in turn allow us to continue helping our fellow Canadians. That is especially important now, more than ever.

Edited by kloubek
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I am proud that my province is doing this. As it should be - Canadians helping Canadians. We brought in a lot of money for Canada (and subsequent equalization payments to provinces) as well when oil was booming. 

Unfortunately, we haven't had a lot of help with getting our main industry back on track from either the feds or the BC government, and I expect after the outbreak ends we will be forgotten again.

At least Keystone is gonna be a go after extensive delays largely thanks to Horgan. It isn't all Alberta needs, but it will help a lot.

As an (now) Albertan, I look forward to our own provincial recovery which will in turn allow us to continue helping our fellow Canadians. That is especially important now, more than ever.

Well we’re taking in all your fellow albertans who are coming to BC to their cabins and who aren’t staying home so that they can vacation this Easter weekend. ;)

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

I didn’t realize the US was now part of Europe and/or Asia either. :blink:

What? No. 

The amount of flights at 0900 in America. 

Can’t believe I have to explain this. 

• Haha 2

Alberta Health Services began stocking up early for the pandemic - back in December. Now they have an excess in supply and are sending them to the other provinces. 

BC will receive 250,000 N95 masks, thank you Alberta and thanks to the preparations made by Alberta Health Services!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

What? No. 

The amount of flights at 0900 in America. 

Can’t believe I have to explain this. 

You mean these aren't hot spots?  Or number of flights with snakes on them?   Airports and flights are the probably the highest areas of community spread - guess Trumps advisors haven't explained that yet - or maybe he put his hotel money into the air industry and just won't accept losing that too ha ha.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, gurn said:

$73 billion for 37 million Canadians.

What does that work out to per person, and how is it going to be paid for?

Are all the governments of the world going to agree to just knock off a few zeros for the worldwide debt?

That would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath. We'll be taxed to death to cover the bailouts. Great that the government wants to help but in the end it'll be you and I (and all of us working folks) who foot the bill.

Just watched a Malcolm Gladwell clip over at the G&M. He is questioning the ability to keep most of the population sequestered in an attempt to prevent infection. Almost certain that we will all get C-19 at some point. He thinks the isolation strategy is an attempt to get health care up to speed on dealing with the number of people infected. Most likely people will return to work using new skills of distancing and regularly disinfection. The economic fallout from C-19 is not yet realized. The government cannot keep this number of people on the dole for several months. At some point mortgage foreclosures will really start to amp up.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TheAce said:

With a financial crisis looming, there is no reason for Canada to stop exporting raw materials. If it was a case that we were running short of those materials because we needed them for our own supplies then yes, we should. Its great to be helpful but at the end of the day, this government has to be mindful of its citizens/ tax payers and must do everything it can to keep us safe.

On a side note, Alberta is stepping up to help other provinces with PPE

https://nationalpost.com/news/alberta-to-donate-ppe-ventilators-to-other-provinces-amid-hopeful-covid-19-trends/wcm/b4d55be1-933b-43a7-b16a-bdfe771a2cb4

we would only stop exporting to the US out of some sort of retaliation against Trump, but hopefully things don't get that far. 

Yup its nice to see AB put aside the politics and share the PPE for sure. Gives one hope. 

13 hours ago, coho8888 said:

Not sure if this has been posted but an interesting video for those interested:

That was really interesting.  I wonder what disinfectant chemicals they were pumping all over the streets and cars the whole time, didn't sound like he knew and if that was stuff like bleach then that was a ton going down the drains, etc. eventually.