The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, skategal said:

https://medium.com/swlh/misinformation-goes-viral-1aad951e4492

Found this article to be informative without some of the useless political bashing.

Partial quote below:

Self Isolation has led many to delve into crackpot theories that go from man-made viruses to spread of infections via 5G cell phone towers. Now, those that are rational are already asking the right questions and seeking legit sources of information…but more and more people are losing it. Feel free to use the information in this story to educate your friends. This pandemic is stressful enough without people confabulating nonsense!

I’ve found that people “listen” more if you have credentials, so while I’m not a fan of throwing letters at people…here are mine. I have a PhD in Cellular and Molecular Medicine from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. I did my postdoctoral work at MIT and am now an Associate Professor of Neurobiology at the University of Utah .

He goes on to discuss some of the theories and why they are not supported.  

I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My worry is that many come to buy much cheaper prescription medicines here....as much as I love our neighbours, that puts a strain on our supply.  

It's true...if they open up the borders it really undermines all that we're doing.  Sort of makes it pointless.

I guess they'll have to go to Mexico.... oh right, "the wall". oops.

Sounds like Trudeau is standing firm on it being at least "weeks" before we see any kind of re-opening to non-essential stuff. I suppose online pharmacies can still operate but they'll shut that down if our own supply gets too strained. 

• Vintage 2

To me it is amazing to see day after day of Mr. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBITY,lying to his citizens and has anyone seen any form of empathy from this disgrace of a man.

The USA has a total buffoon in charge of their country and this A-HOLE only cares about the economy and not the plain facts that he has been the main reason so many needless deaths have occured.

When you hear of the shady stuff this administration is pulling during this pandemic it shows that their system of government is beyond broken.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Jeebus....people can't be THAT dumb can they?

edit:  "Protests in Michigan, North Carolina, and Kentucky now."  Darwinism at work.  Hope they don't infect too many people not party to their moronic behavior.

Some of the laws the governor has laid down are that it is illegal to sell house paint, it is illegal to go on a boat (unless a canoe), no gathering with anyone that is not in your household.  I support the protesters. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/politics/gretchen-whitmer-operation-gridlock/index.html

• Wat 3

7 minutes ago, Dustbin said:

Some of the laws the governor has laid down are that it is illegal to sell house paint, it is illegal to go on a boat (unless a canoe), no gathering with anyone that is not in your household.  I support the protesters. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/politics/gretchen-whitmer-operation-gridlock/index.html

This isn't about house paint or motor boating. I believe the pressure and fears about the economy they have, that's a concern everywhere. But this is political. Trumpers being covidiots because Whtimer may get the VP job with Joe. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

can you explain why selling house paint is an essential service? or why you should be allowed to have a party during a pandemic? if you're answer is "freedom" please go be free with your own life, not someone else's. 

Freedom for anti-vaxxers as well!  Say no, to the hopefully soon-to-be Corona Virus vaccine.  Because......Jeebus told me it's evil.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 2

Looking at all the different countries, one thing is clear, distancing is working to limit the spread of infection. The numbers are indisputable. 

Experts and politicians deserve a lot of credit but it's the collective effort and sacrifice by all people who have made this work. 

Those that aren't on the same page in this situation.... when are they ever going to be?

• Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Makes sense to me that it is currently banned. Imagine how much spittle goes flying everywhere! 

This is what our prime minister would refer to as “motor boating moistly”

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

Getting freaky. I've stuck with this one link for many weeks so as to have the same source.

Have been watching as the overall mortality rate climbs

defined as confirmed cases divided by deaths

2,128,566 cases confirmed 142,624 deaths 539,000 recovered, mortality rate  6.7%

Also 7 of the top 21 countries for confirmed cases are over 10% mortality.

Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium and the U.K. continue to get hammered.

After this is all over, it will turn out Canada did some things wrong, but I believe it will turn out Canada got most things right.

I've noticed the US death #'s are still increasing at the same time some people in power are musing about getting things going.  I get it, it's important to talk about when we should open things up, but how about recognize what is going on at the moment for goodness sake.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2