The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Vancouver Coastal Health and Fraser Health areas.

My thoughts are with you guys. I'm still holding out hope that the heat will knock the aggression out of this beach. Not to be confused with Florida Beach.

image.jpeg.6706849c6cb97950e515423807bc5d70.jpeg

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-covid-19-update-saturday-1.5545232

This article states the jump is mainly due to increased testing around the Mission Prison and Poultry plant outbreaks.

Thank you...today I missed Dr. Bonnie (was outside planting some herbs).   

Good to know.  A bit of relief to have it pinpointed...shows they really are on top of clusters.  Our team is excellent.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I can't imagine what people are going through now not able to spend time with sick aged older parents that need alot of support.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.   ^This is me right now with my Dad...it's awful not being able to be there for him like I usually am.  He understands why, but it doesn't make it any easier as he really struggles on his own.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So basically we are just all isolating ourselves in an attempt to keep the infection rate slower to not overwhelm the ICU's.

That and to buy time.  Isolation in itself won't make the "virus go away".  It gives us hopefully time for a vaccine to be discovered.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That and to buy time.  Isolation in itself won't make the "virus go away".  It gives us hopefully time for a vaccine to be discovered.

Social distancing and hand washing will be the only way to reduce transmission once things open back up.

Gonna take everyone doing their part and a lot of trust from the government that citizens will take this seriously now.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Social distancing and hand washing will be the only way to reduce transmission once things open back up.

Gonna take everyone doing their part and a lot of trust from the government that citizens will take this seriously now.

Reopening schools will be a diSAAASter. 

Mass infection.

In what right mind does anyone think a 6 year old and a 70 year old won’t wanna hug as soon as they can.

Or the massive amount of love teachers will receive; a wave a potential death.

The kids who take public transit, sneezing, touching; obviously not the kids’ fault!

Love and care is to humanity as the stars are to the Universe.

Some very difficult times ahead.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sorry, my name isn't Iris....

:P

19 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

damn, still spreading there. is it mainly in Vancouver, if so maybe quarantine?

CBC

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says there are 95 new cases of COVID-19 in British Columbia, a spike that brought the total number of cases to 1,948 on Saturday. 

Henry said part of the reason for the dramatic jump in cases is because of additional testing related to community outbreaks at a federal prison and a poultry processing plant. 

Forty of the new cases are linked to the federally-run Mission Institution, where 106 inmates and 12 staff members have contracted the virus. An inmate at the federal prison died from COVID-19 complications earlier this month. Henry said two inmates are currently in hospital. 

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

CBC

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says there are 95 new cases of COVID-19 in British Columbia, a spike that brought the total number of cases to 1,948 on Saturday. 

Henry said part of the reason for the dramatic jump in cases is because of additional testing related to community outbreaks at a federal prison and a poultry processing plant. 

Forty of the new cases are linked to the federally-run Mission Institution, where 106 inmates and 12 staff members have contracted the virus. An inmate at the federal prison died from COVID-19 complications earlier this month. Henry said two inmates are currently in hospital. 

This is playing catch up. That is why the need for a super fast-result testing system is imperative. It’s to get ahead of the game.

3 minutes ago, samurai said:

CBC

Ouch that sucks. From an outsider it seems like a lot of BC's problems are institution based.

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I prefer seeing locked up criminals getting covid than hard working, tax paying citizens.

I don't wish Covid on anyone........    even the most vile citizens  / or people that have made mistakes in life....  deserve dignity and a safe living environment. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You're not connecting the dots though.

The REASON some countries are experiencing these issues is because there's a huge SURGE of infected people all at once...which is why the measures in place are not only important, but they're working here.

Our hospitals were also splitting at the seams at times in the past...but the measures put into place to address this virus were good ones and very proactive.  It wasn't because the system's superior...surgeries and all other non covid/essential things were postponed.  How that plays out later with even longer wait times will tell the true story of the system.  It's not uncommon to have to wait for months (years) for some procedures.

Those who aren't a bit fearful of a surge don't associate what's happening "out there" with here...but they should.  This isn't a magical haven of safety...only if we make it so.   Vancouver, Toronto...these are potential hubs for this virus as they are not "isolated" in any way except if we make it so.

Except it's not that simple. It's painfully irresponsible to flatly compare Vancouver to other cities like NYC and Milan and throw context out the window. Some cities, due to their geographical location and population density were always going to have it worse from the get-go. 

For example, the Greater Vancouver area has a population of 2.5 million and is pretty spread out. This is not comparable to the 8.4 million densely populated population in NYC, not even taking into account bordering New Jersey, which is also a hot spot. 

The closest city to Vancouver is Seattle which requires an international border crossing and 2.5 hours by car. This is much more isolated than large cities in the Schengen area. 

Again, many of the properties that make Vancouver what it is have helped to stagnate the spread of the virus. It's not because Vancouver found the magic solution. 

Edited by guntrix

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't wish Covid on anyone........    even the most vile citizens  / or people that have made mistakes in life....  deserve dignity and a safe living environment. 

So that father in Victoria that killed his two little girls "deserves dignity and a safe living environment"?

Yeah...agree to disagree. The death penalty is what he deserves.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Ouch that sucks. From an outsider it seems like a lot of BC's problems are institution based.

The rough data for everywhere is showing that 97% of infections take place indoors:  hospitals, retirement homes, and other social welfare facilities (homeless shelters, prisons).  Confined space, poor air circulation and close contact.   In France retirements home corona deaths are not even counted in their fatality numbers. 

More testing means more positives, and even more negatives.   The infection rate for BC is flat and stable for the foreseeable future.  Viruses like this do not turn on a dime.   A so called spike is from what you saw today (deliberate testing suspected clusters) or other bureaucratic things like backlogs, retesting and so forth - well documented.  Retest are often counted twice.  The virus is like a train more than it is a ferrari in terms of its movement.  

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I wonder if we are all ( or at least 50% of us ) are  going to get the virus at some point over the next 2 years. 

Also. it seems like you can get the virus multiple times.

So basically we are just all isolating ourselves in an attempt to keep the infection rate slower to not overwhelm the ICU's.

But really not sure our strategy will work over the long term due to business declines...   

Sooner or later when we go back we will  see dramatic increases in infection.

The last 6 weeks lowered transmission rates to a manageable level.   Just not  sure we can go on like this for the next 18 months.

My rant is over.  I really don't see any great path for us going forward. Sorry, maybe i am just a bit down today.  

Lost my dad earlier about a year ago... I was the lucky one because pre covid i got to see my dad every day he was in the hospital / care facility. 

I can't imagine what people are going through now not able to spend time with sick aged older parents that need alot of support.

True and true. 

And like @DeNirosaid just after you, social distancing and proper hygiene are going to be super important as we slowly reopen from isolating.  As testing gets better and ramped up that will help people make good decisions too.  I just hope those around the Lower Mainland treat the measures we need to maintain (social distancing etc) better than we do driving in the snow...we do great for the first day and then patience slowly wears away and people get less careful. 

I know in my townhouse complex, the driveway gatherings are getting closer and closer while the neighbourhood kids have been mingling closely for a couple weeks now.  That's not a disaster while everyone in the complex is pretty much self isolating, it's almost like an island.  But I hope they realize as things reopen all it's takes is one person to get it and whammo, it'll be everywhere.

Like you said at the start, this virus will be around for a while so we can't let our guard down as we slowly restart our lives next month and beyond.

• Cheers 1