The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, stawns said:

in our staff meeting 10 mins ago, the sentence "we're going to have to teach kids how to clean the room" was actually used.

Tell that to parents, and many children will never see the inside of a classroom again.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

This is an off-topic forum designed to allow discussion about non-hockey matters. Just to clear up your confusion. 

Absolutely. And I get that it’s a safe place to talk about it with like minded people.   It still bugs me a bit that it’s ramping up to overtake the famed “trade Burrows” thread.   Yes I’m probably overreacting - but there has been some great topics the past two months and I’m surprised at the lack of participation. For example AJs top 50 Greatest All-Time Canucks ... maybe 50 CDCers contributed on a regular basis... why not participate? Just trying to make a point - it’s a hockey site why don’t we focus a little more on that.  Lots we can talk about that has nothing to do with COVID.  

• Wat 1

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Tell that to parents, and many children’s will never see the inside of a classroom again.

I have to laugh because I work at a moderately low socioeconomic school, but with very interactive parents and very respectful, thoughtful kids etc, and we are getting less than a quarter of our students back.

One of the other schools that feeds into the same high school has a much higher socioeconomic demographic and super douchey parents and grossly entitled kids and well over half of them are sending kids back.  They can't wait to get rid of their kids 

Lots of "Karen's" in that parent group

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, BPA said:

For Asian Americans, COVID-19 racism is a virus of hate: Reporter's notebook

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/for-asian-americans-covid-19-racism-is-a-virus-of-hate-reporter-s-notebook/ar-BB14tf23?li=AAggFp4&ocid=iehp

Coronavirus backlash is a reminder, I'm a 'perpetual foreigner' to some

This virus of hate has me also thinking about the fear faced daily by other communities of color. It is hard for me to imagine living with this kind of terror all the time. While I know how it feels to be "other," it is another feeling entirely to be afraid. I have always stood with my Latino and African American friends. Now I understand them just a little better and my hope is that my work will help all of our viewers -- black, white, brown, or Asian -- come to the same understanding.

I'm reminded back in my University years when discussing USA and Canada being a big melting pot where people of different color/background/ethics can co-exist.  I remember saying that while the majority of people will be civil to one another (regardless of ethnicity), there will always be pockets of hate.  Sad that I was right.

America gonna America. Doesnt help that tensions are high currently between USA and China. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

For Asian Americans, COVID-19 racism is a virus of hate: Reporter's notebook

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/for-asian-americans-covid-19-racism-is-a-virus-of-hate-reporter-s-notebook/ar-BB14tf23?li=AAggFp4&ocid=iehp

Coronavirus backlash is a reminder, I'm a 'perpetual foreigner' to some

This virus of hate has me also thinking about the fear faced daily by other communities of color. It is hard for me to imagine living with this kind of terror all the time. While I know how it feels to be "other," it is another feeling entirely to be afraid. I have always stood with my Latino and African American friends. Now I understand them just a little better and my hope is that my work will help all of our viewers -- black, white, brown, or Asian -- come to the same understanding.

I'm reminded back in my University years when discussing USA and Canada being a big melting pot where people of different color/background/ethics can co-exist.  I remember saying that while the majority of people will be civil to one another (regardless of ethnicity), there will always be pockets of hate.  Sad that I was right.

BPA any fool that looks at your skin colour and has a reaction is their problem and I actually feel a little sorry for them.   We are ALL from a foreign country- it’s also what makes our country the best one in the world.  I can guarantee that who I associate with would never ever think that way.  Don’t forget these little “pockets of hate” as you said are definitely in the minority.   I train Mauy Thai, and before Tae-Kwon-Do and before that Karate.   Will always be grateful that the masters that came over from Japan, Korea and Thailand have made that possible.  We all have much to learn from each other.   Small minded people maybe get in the way sometimes.   And sometimes small minded people are in positions of power too (Trump).   Just remember that for everyone of those guys there are hundreds of others that would be happy to know you. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hughes will end up being the more impactful player when all is said and done. So, I 100% agree. 

Hughes and Pettersson are #1 overall picks, in they’re respective Drafts. 

So yeah we did win the NHL Lottery twice, in my mind.

Cheers buds!

Edited by The Aquamen
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely. And I get that it’s a safe place to talk about it with like minded people.   It still bugs me a bit that it’s ramping up to overtake the famed “trade Burrows” thread.   Yes I’m probably overreacting - but there has been some great topics the past two months and I’m surprised at the lack of participation. For example AJs top 50 Greatest All-Time Canucks ... maybe 50 CDCers contributed on a regular basis... why not participate? Just trying to make a point - it’s a hockey site why don’t we focus a little more on that.  Lots we can talk about that has nothing to do with COVID.  

Some things just seem more important right now. No need to be frustrated about that. Keep calm and Greatest Canucks on. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Point taken.

Stop.

• Haha 2

Can you guys stop with the confused emoji's, man. I have a confession to make and this may surprise you, i'm no expert on herd immunity or infectious diseases. I can't keep up with those that sit there and spend their entire day arguing about it.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 5
  • Huggy Bear 2

5 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Can you guys stop with the confused emoji's, man. I have a confession to make and this may surprise you, i'm no expert on herd immunity or infectious diseases. I can't keep up with those that sit there and spend their entire day arguing about it.

There, I gave you a huggy bear emoji.

Crisis averted 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3