The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 hours ago, Timbermen said:

i'm a great uncle too

I'm a grand- uncle.

I debate with my siblings about the term. They use great-uncle/aunt. However, it is our niece who had the child. The child's grand mother is my sister. That makes me a grand-uncle. I would have to be the same generation as my mother ( great grand mother) to be called 'great'.

Just something I have thought about. I googled it and for some reason it says they are interchangeable but I don't understand why. It's a designation for which generation in the family that you slot into.....

Are you really 'great' or just 'grand'? 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Today at Trinity Bellwood Park, Toronto.

Right near my house.

6F0B3DD6-4D5F-49CB-8CF8-D179DA553DE5.jpeg

People in TO need to dress better. 

Reminds me of childhood baseball tournys in the 80's

I swear my coach is in there somewhere with orange wedges. 

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm a grand- uncle.

I debate with my siblings about the term. They use great-uncle/aunt. However, it is our niece who had the child. The child's grand mother is my sister. That makes me a grand-uncle. I would have to be the same generation as my mother ( great grand mother) to be called 'great'.

Just something I have thought about. I googled it and for some reason it says they are interchangeable but I don't understand why. It's a designation for which generation in the family that you slot into.....

Are you really 'great' or just 'grand'? 

Never thought about the terminology but you're absolutely right. I'm a grand uncle until they have kids, then i'll be a great grand uncle. My oldest sister is 11 years older, i'm the youngest. She had her oldest at 17, my first nephew, so i was an uncle at 6. I became a grand uncle before i was 30. I'm still only 49.

Edited by Timbermen
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Never thought about the terminology but you're absolutely right. I'm a grand uncle until they have kids, then i'll be a great grand uncle. My oldest sister is 11 years older, i'm the youngest. She had her oldest at 17, my first nephew, so i was an uncle at 6. I became a grand uncle before i was 30. I'm still only 49.

Our fams are similar, my oldest sis is 10 years older than me. I'm 45. 

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know how practical 'herd immunity' is anyways.  From what I've read, to reach that level, it requires +70-80% of the population.  Can you imagine what that would be like in a country like USA with +325M people?  It's a horrible dilemma when you consider that the virus will continue to be until there is the same immunity in every country around the world.  I think it would be quicker, safer and more humane to wait for a vaccine. 

Young folks may not die from this virus, but there is lots of info about how horribly ill they can get.  There can also be a variety of complications later on.  Who wants to volunteer for that?

Agreed completely.  I don't think people understand the kind of numbers that entails until you or a loved one is one of those numbers.  To me, sacrificing human lives on that scale (or any scale) for money is unacceptable.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Today at Trinity Bellwood Park, Toronto.

Right near my house.

6F0B3DD6-4D5F-49CB-8CF8-D179DA553DE5.jpeg

There is talk of shutting down Ontario again? Lol that place is packed, meaning you are there as well? Is that a POV photo? 

Oh Dear stay safe Canada Much Love.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

*Except not overwhelming the healthcare system and causing a bunch of otherwise unnecessary deaths.

Which is why Sweden is great controlled test variable. This claim was the major call on why we needed lockdown. Yet Sweden has shown that not locking the country down does not overwhelm their health care and their death rate is only slightly higher. All while not shutting down there economy. 

and I know what the refute to this is. “All lives are important so that extra 2-4K of death caused by not locking down need to be protected“ just like stawns latest post and to that I say, locking down the country will result in deaths either way.

Suicide rates are dramatically increasing due to the shut down. Unemployment rates have a direct correlation to suicide rates. Australia is exception a 33% increase in suicides year over year. Michigan has a 37% increase in calls to the suicide help line. Alberta saw an 18% increase in help line calls in March alone. 

One method the country comes out of this In shambles, broke and with a debt and that will years and years to recover from.  Where the other method the country comes out way ahead. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know how practical 'herd immunity' is anyways.  From what I've read, to reach that level, it requires +70-80% of the population.  Can you imagine what that would be like in a country like USA with +325M people?  It's a horrible dilemma when you consider that the virus will continue to be until there is the same immunity in every country around the world.  I think it would be quicker, safer and more humane to wait for a vaccine. 

Young folks may not die from this virus, but there is lots of info about how horribly ill they can get.  There can also be a variety of complications later on.  Who wants to volunteer for that?

Not to mention that doesn't herd immunity assume that that 70-80% of the population is healthy to begin with (honest question, I legitimately don't know)? What is the obesity rate in the States? Canada isn't that much better either. Can herd immunity be established within a population of generally poor health to begin with? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Aquamen said:

Hello hello, I am sure he likes you lots. Herd immunity lol. Eventually yes people do become immune to a virus, it’s a form

of actually fighting it. Oooo I won’t get into you’re guys “herd” talk. I might get attacked. A gentlemen put this up yesterday made me laugh.

good for you’re nephew ;)! Make him a 1st round NHL Draft pick, you got some time.  

Cheers all. :canucks:

6ED9628D-9206-406D-985B-CA3B745B8B25.gif

Thank you, very, very slim chance he gets drafted to the NHL. This is his first year of draft eligibility. I think of Chris Tanev and Troy Stecher's roads to the NHL and hope he can make it later. Plenty of undrafted players make it, still very tough though. He's a straight A student and could get a scholarship out of it hopefully, play a few years in College and maybe get a chance like Tanev and Stecher. He's a D and 6'3 at 17 but needs to put on weight, which they are working on. Could have the size NHL clubs are looking for in a Dman. Still lots of hard work ahead to make it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Tanev wasn't drafted because of his size ("at the end of Grade 11, was 5'3'' 105 lbs.").  He suddenly grew about a foot (and added about 35+ pounds) I think at the age of 18 (obviously throughout the year where much of the amateur scouts saw a pretty small player).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Tanev wasn't drafted because of his size ("at the end of Grade 11, was 5'3'' 105 lbs.").  He suddenly grew about a foot (and added about 35+ pounds) I think at the age of 18 (obviously throughout the year where much of the amateur scouts saw a pretty small player).

Yes, i'm aware of that about Tanev. My nephew was about 175 this season, not very big for 6'3 but he's going to put on weight. He played on an excellent midget program for the last few years, one thats produced NHLers (Canucks have one right now). He looked good in the half dozen games he played in the BCHL (I watched them using HockeyTV.com, they stream all junior A) but he also made some mistakes and got benched. Still he looked like he belonged there to me. He was playing with and against guys drafted in the NHL, some of them first rounders. One of his team mates on that BCHL team played in the WJC this year for his European country's team. Even he's a long shot for the NHL.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, The Aquamen said:

There is talk of shutting down Ontario again? Lol that place is packed, meaning you are there as well? Is that a POV photo? 

Oh Dear stay safe Canada Much Love.

Nah. That’s from blogto. You will find me in my house, working away; not flouting the protocols of our times.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, The Aquamen said:

Who is about too stir up CDC, adding fuel to the fire? Like “herd”, oh my gosh kidding.

Don't do it bud, it's not worth it. i brought it up and they were on me like a fat kid on a smartie. You have to have 70-80% to have...blah,blah,blah.::D

• Haha 2