The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

25 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Don't do it bud, it's not worth it. i brought it up and they were on me like a fat kid on a smartie. You have to have 70-80% to have...blah,blah,blah.::D

LOL, point taken. Hahahaha a fat kid on a smartie. 

Oh Canada, Canucks will be scary in 2 years!

Edited by The Aquamen
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Which is why Sweden is great controlled test variable. This claim was the major call on why we needed lockdown. Yet Sweden has shown that not locking the country down does not overwhelm their health care and their death rate is only slightly higher. All while not shutting down there economy. 

and I know what the refute to this is. “All lives are important so that extra 2-4K of death caused by not locking down need to be protected“ just like stawns latest post and to that I say, locking down the country will result in deaths either way.

Suicide rates are dramatically increasing due to the shut down. Unemployment rates have a direct correlation to suicide rates. Australia is exception a 33% increase in suicides year over year. Michigan has a 37% increase in calls to the suicide help line. Alberta saw an 18% increase in help line calls in March alone. 

One method the country comes out of this In shambles, broke and with a debt and that will years and years to recover from.  Where the other method the country comes out way ahead. 

If you think the suicide rate is high now, wait to see by the end of the year, locked down or not.

Sh!t just got real son.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That is indescribably infuriating

That’s assault.

Personally, I don’t even have to be there to be there. My hippy love-spreading kumbaya roommate was probably there or somewhere similar, like every day of his life.  We’re five and four of us know what the rest of us are doing, out of curtesy for each other.

That guy; nothing. 

So we confronted him yesterday. After a bit of a pretty loud back and forth to make sure we spread loads of droplets on each other, he finally announced doesn’t believe the hype, doesn’t wear a mask, he’s been going to caocao parties (you know; sniffing caocao powder)... freely frequenting others for the last three months as if there is no tomorrow and best of all, he’s busking.

So he’s standing on a Toronto street corner every day playing his guitar, bathing in the winds of sickness, thinking it don’t get better than this. For the last three months.

Now I got nothing against any type of lifestyle during the best of times. But this is putting in danger the lives of four other people in one household who all adhere to the rules laid out by our government. 

The groceries? Nothing washed. Straight in the kitchen. “What? You want me to wash packs of noodles too? Because that ridiculous and I’m not doing that”

His problems are more important than our lives.

I am a huge fan of cement/blood art and I felt very creative and that was the time to walk away.

I suddenly feel threatened by the negligence of a mid-thirties man who has been discovered to collect a good disability check but really is a lifer University student, busking in the fourth largest metropolitan area in North America, without protection during a world pandemic that closed down the world.

We were thrown some great classics:

”no one is sick so just relax”

and 

”I can’t think that way it goes against my nature”

without forgetting everyone’s favorite

“I wash my hands like everyone else, what else do you want”

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Which is why Sweden is great controlled test variable. This claim was the major call on why we needed lockdown. Yet Sweden has shown that not locking the country down does not overwhelm their health care and their death rate is only slightly higher. All while not shutting down there economy. 

and I know what the refute to this is. “All lives are important so that extra 2-4K of death caused by not locking down need to be protected“ just like stawns latest post and to that I say, locking down the country will result in deaths either way.

Suicide rates are dramatically increasing due to the shut down. Unemployment rates have a direct correlation to suicide rates. Australia is exception a 33% increase in suicides year over year. Michigan has a 37% increase in calls to the suicide help line. Alberta saw an 18% increase in help line calls in March alone. 

One method the country comes out of this In shambles, broke and with a debt and that will years and years to recover from.  Where the other method the country comes out way ahead. 

I have no issues with the route Sweden has taken.  It is working very well for them so far.  I wonder if it would work with the bigger and denser populations in other countries.  After all, Sweden is only twice the population of BC and their biggest city is just 1.5M.  In more rural areas in BC, there have been far more businesses and stores open and there has never been the feeling of "lock down".  It is far easier to shop in uncrowded stores or find less confining areas outdoors in less densely populated areas.

• Wat 1

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I have no issues with the route Sweden has taken.  It is working very well for them so far.  I wonder if it would work with the bigger and denser populations in other countries.  After all, Sweden is only twice the population of BC and their biggest city is just 1.5M.  In more rural areas in BC, there have been far more businesses and stores open and there has never been the feeling of "lock down".  It is far easier to shop in uncrowded stores or find less confining areas outdoors in less densely populated areas.

As well....

1) Healthier population

2) Likely more willing to following 'social distancing' measures because of trust in government 

No blanket solution for all countries as each nation has unique characteristics that should be taken account of.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

No. It’s not. Do the research instead of repeating assumptions.

• Huggy Bear 1

Was at Metrotown this afternoon.  Some stores are open to the public.  I would say about 50% were properly social distancing and wearing masks.

The ones not wearing masks were typically under 50.  The majority not wearing masks were teens / young adults.

Oh.  T&T had box of 50 masks for $30.  Limit 1 per family. 

Edited by BPA
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Was at Metrotown this afternoon.  Some stores are open to the public.  I would say about 50% were properly social distancing and wearing masks.

The ones not wearing masks were typically under 50.  The majority not wearing masks were teens / young adults.

Oh.  T&T had box of 50 masks for $30.  Limit 1 per family. 

They also won't let you in the store (at least the one on Cambie) without a facemask (you can buy one from them for $1).

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry, but I don't consider 2-4k extra dead people 'slightly higher'.

They also also have had their economy affected fyi as people still largely stayed home/bought less. The economic differences are in fact small and not worth risking thousands of lives.

2-4K is close to the expected increases in suicide due to unemployment. Australia is predicting 2700 extra deaths from suicide Why do you view Covid deaths more than suicide? 

The other thing people seem to be forgetting a large percent of the covid deaths had overlap with elderly who would have died in near term. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Tom Jones the Man, Its Unusual too be Loved by anyone, come sing it be happy. 

Here is a little song I wrote, you might want too sing it,  note by note don’t worry.. dun dun.. Be Happy

Edited by The Aquamen
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1