The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

The bigger issue is we have Covid health experts on set at all times and they don’t seem to care, they tried and then gave up after a couple days..

I hear you and I am dealing with the same problem.  I took some pics in case I do get it.  

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Good article with perspective on the CERB structure creating a lack of incentive to return to work full-time or part-time

https://globalnews.ca/news/7092281/cerb-back-to-work-dilemma/ 

The extra $1000 you can make on top of CERB is the problem.

I took advantage of that for a month then got offered a full-time job that would pay me over $2000 a month.  I would've made more money by collecting CERB and picking up a shift or two here and there.  I just prefer making my own money, and building a resume.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

The extra $1000 you can make on top of CERB is the problem.

I took advantage of that for a month then got offered a full-time job that would pay me over $2000 a month.  I would've made more money by collecting CERB and picking up a shift or two here and there.  I just prefer making my own money, and building a resume.

Good on you dude my girlfriend is in the same boat currently coming out ahead making just under $1k monthly and still collecting cerb. She will likely start full time again soon as her employer has indicated they want her back.

Definitely the smart choice to continue to build the resume.

On another note.. bring back Drake... PBR gives me bad memories :lol:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Good on you dude my girlfriend is in the same boat currently coming out ahead making just under $1k monthly and still collecting cerb. She will likely start full time again soon as her employer has indicated they want her back.

Definitely the smart choice to continue to build the resume.

On another note.. bring back Drake... PBR gives me bad memories :lol:

I don't blame her.  Making just under 3 grand for working maybe 24 hours a month is hard to give up.

Building my resume is my biggest concern, can't put CERB on my resume coming out of college.

Haha, Drake may make a comeback.  Just looking at Smirnoff gives me shivers. :lol:

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

No, the issue is that (some) BC workers are not following the stated protocols.  Petey40 stated, "It’s mandatory we wear masks on the job but we have a crew of about 100 and half the people wear them below their nose."  

People need to take some responsibility in educating themselves and following the obvious guidelines.  

Regulations without enforcement is just  public relations......

The role of the BC government is not only to come up with regulations.... but also ensure there is compliance and enforcement.    

Many individuals are under all kinds of pressure to work unsafe. Most BC workers live paycheck ot paycheck and can't afford to lose their jobs by being labelled difficult.

Extra enforcement officers should be trained and hired or temporarily moved over from other departments. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

43 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

The role of the BC government is not only to come up with regulations.... but also ensure there is compliance and enforcement.    

Many individuals are under all kinds of pressure to work unsafe. Most BC workers live paycheck ot paycheck and can't afford to lose their jobs by being labelled difficult.

Extra enforcement officers should be trained and hired or temporarily moved over from other departments. 

Public health requires the public to participate.  Enforcement is important but can only go so far in a free society. Lot of cops beating up people refusing to wear masks in NYC.  A guy got dragged off a bus in Philly. People arguing against eachother over masks in stores. Some also cough on you on purpose. You can't enforce everything. When there is a vaccine, it is people who go line up or go to the clinic to get the shot. You can't enforce it, at least not in Canada.  

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Public health requires the public to participate.  Enforcement is important but can only go so far in a free society. Lot of cops beating up people refusing to wear masks in NYC.  A guy got dragged off a bus in Philly. People arguing against eachother over masks in stores. Some also cough on you on purpose. You can't enforce everything. When there is a vaccine, it is people who go line up or go to the clinic to get the shot. You can't enforce it, at least not in Canada.  

Of course , but the threat of enforcement is also powerful in altering peoples behaviours.. 

Ticketing  / fining companies when employees are not following regulations would be useful. 

So much infection from USA meatpacking  industry.... Where was the enforcement ?   So sad to see those workers making minimum wages working under very unsafe working conditions.

USA is just a messed up place....

As California began to rapidly reopen the economy, officials in Santa Cruz County decided the safe thing to do was keep its landmark beaches largely closed in the afternoons to prevent crowds that could spread the coronavirus.

But the public increasingly ignored the rules and demanded their summer on the sand, swimming, sunbathing and just hanging out. Unable to stop the crowds, county officials simply gave up.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-07-03/how-california-went-from-coronavirus-success-story-to-sitting-on-the-precipice-of-disaster

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

The stats don't indicate that 'many individuals are being pressured to work unsafe'.  An individual can feel unsafe at work (or anywhere else), but may not actually be unsafe.  People have varying degrees of anxiety around this pandemic.

Since May 9th, the province has had fewer than 20 cases province wide each day (exception of 3 days when it rose to 21 and 22).  If these #s continue through next week, it will be 2 months.  These #s are very consistent and there is no real indication of an uptick; even with the protests and reopening phases going on. 

Currently, there are only 2 ICU beds being used in the entire province, which is a really important stat to look at.

I'm not saying we should let down our guard.  This virus can multiply very quickly and we all know that.  I just trust that the healthcare officials that have the entirety of  BC data at hand, have a solid read on what is happening province wide.  If there are changes to the stats they are monitoring, I have no doubt that they will adjust the protocol very quickly.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1