The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, spur1 said:

Only to find immunity doesn’t last and they have to do it all over again. 

Sadly that seems to be what researchers are finding right now although it's probably too early to tell and there hasn't been enough research to provide a clear answer.  Certainly it seems to be the case with those who have few to no symptoms.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/asymptomatic-covid-19-1.5629172

Nanaimo’s Woodgrove Centre retracts COVID-19 positive case claim

July 2, 2020

woodgrove-centre-nanaimo-696x363.jpg (Image / Woodgrove Centre)

It was a confusing turn of events for Nanaimo’s Woodrgrove Centre, after a memo was sent out to staff claiming an employee had tested positive for COVID-19, and then was retracted only 24 hours later.

The memo was sent out on Tuesday afternoon to mall managers and tenants, signed by Ivanhoé Cambridge’s B.C. Regional Manager Charles Fleck, and stated that the person was “no longer” in the shopping centre.

Despite this, the memo didn’t clarify when the infected individual tested positive, where they worked within the mall, or how long ago they had left the mall.

A mere 24 hours later, on Canada Day, the Nanaimo shopping centre sent a follow-up, claiming that the previous memo was all just a mistake.

In a brief statement released by Ivanhoé Cambridge Wednesday evening, Woodgrove Centre said they were notified that the person who tested positive was indeed not working at the mall.

“We have just been informed that the person who tested positive for COVID-19 was not working at Woodgrove Centre,” the statement said.

“Meanwhile, rest assured that we have been following health and safety protocols and guidelines in our mall.”

No information about how the mistake was made, or where the apparent COVID-19 positive case originated from was revealed in the memo.

Woodgrove went on to stress that the health and safety of their employees, tenants, customers and other guests is of the highest importance to them and that they will continue to diligently disinfect the common areas throughout the shopping centre, such as countertops, entry doors, door handles, and railings.

There are reports that there was actually a mix-up, and the memo went to Woodgrove Centre instead of another shopping mall, but this has not been confirmed, nor which centre the memo was originally intended for.

Ivanhoé Cambridge operates dozens of malls across Canada, including Victoria’s Mayfair Shopping Centre, Tsawwassen Mills, and Metropolis at Metrotown.

• Thanks 1

Hard-hit Alabama is having “Covid parties”...                                 ...Cash prizes for the first person who reports they have contacte Covid.

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Nanaimo’s Woodgrove Centre retracts COVID-19 positive case claim

July 2, 2020

woodgrove-centre-nanaimo-696x363.jpg (Image / Woodgrove Centre)

It was a confusing turn of events for Nanaimo’s Woodrgrove Centre, after a memo was sent out to staff claiming an employee had tested positive for COVID-19, and then was retracted only 24 hours later.

The memo was sent out on Tuesday afternoon to mall managers and tenants, signed by Ivanhoé Cambridge’s B.C. Regional Manager Charles Fleck, and stated that the person was “no longer” in the shopping centre.

Despite this, the memo didn’t clarify when the infected individual tested positive, where they worked within the mall, or how long ago they had left the mall.

A mere 24 hours later, on Canada Day, the Nanaimo shopping centre sent a follow-up, claiming that the previous memo was all just a mistake.

In a brief statement released by Ivanhoé Cambridge Wednesday evening, Woodgrove Centre said they were notified that the person who tested positive was indeed not working at the mall.

“We have just been informed that the person who tested positive for COVID-19 was not working at Woodgrove Centre,” the statement said.

“Meanwhile, rest assured that we have been following health and safety protocols and guidelines in our mall.”

No information about how the mistake was made, or where the apparent COVID-19 positive case originated from was revealed in the memo.

Woodgrove went on to stress that the health and safety of their employees, tenants, customers and other guests is of the highest importance to them and that they will continue to diligently disinfect the common areas throughout the shopping centre, such as countertops, entry doors, door handles, and railings.

There are reports that there was actually a mix-up, and the memo went to Woodgrove Centre instead of another shopping mall, but this has not been confirmed, nor which centre the memo was originally intended for.

Ivanhoé Cambridge operates dozens of malls across Canada, including Victoria’s Mayfair Shopping Centre, Tsawwassen Mills, and Metropolis at Metrotown.

Thanks for posting. However, I would like to know how the mistake happened, is this person on the island?  I just heard from my wife that the cases on the Island have in fact gone up by one....but I'm not sure my source is correct...:P

Edited by bishopshodan

Covid is accelerating at a rapid rate worldwide....they just said that half the world's cases to date happened during June!  Which is terrifying.

April - 1M total cases worldwide

May - 5M

June - 10M

35 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Covid is accelerating at a rapid rate worldwide....they just said that half the world's cases to date happened during June!  Which is terrifying.

May - 5M

June - 10M

I have said more than once...this is just the beginning. 

4 hours ago, spur1 said:

Only to find immunity doesn’t last and they have to do it all over again. 

That means they get to win twice! American style can't let anyone else win! 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

May - 5M

June - 10M

How much is this that the world has finally gotten supply to test more than before? Obviously new virus you have to develop more tests and can't get things right away so I wonder how many tests they missed early on due to lack of tests available. 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

May - 5M

June - 10M

The majority of those with populist right wing nutjobs leaders.

44 minutes ago, Russ said:

How much is this that the world has finally gotten supply to test more than before? Obviously new virus you have to develop more tests and can't get things right away so I wonder how many tests they missed early on due to lack of tests available. 

Of course you should see a spike when there is enough testing kits available.   But the determining factor is when was it?  Was it in May?  Thus the increase?  If so...then how would you explain June?

Will that also be the reasoning for July and August and September if cases continue to climb?

More than likely it is a combination of increased testing and lack of social distancing (in the USA).

There was a graph (posted here) that showed the USA not flattening the curve, with the EU graph flattening the curve.  Quite revealing of the poor job the USA is doing.

Yesterday a hair salon in the gta, following all protocols, had to shut down due to an outbreak of 18 people receiving the virus.   Including employees.    

this $&!#s not going away anytime soon.    

• Cheers 1

https://globalnews.ca/news/7132353/man-dies-coronavirus-bbq/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalBC&fbclid=IwAR3dXCuAKlO68rT-uAuztCn5tV_LImrYeZRW-Xes7xWG4YYwlT8Ra5oaK7Y

Man who posted regret for attending party dies 1 day later of coronavirus

meaghan_wray_0017-e1566495477684.jpg?qua
By Meaghan Wray Global News
Posted July 2, 2020 12:48 pm
Macias Lopez, 51, died of coronavirus the day after expressing his regret for attending a party in early June.
Macias Lopez, 51, died of coronavirus the day after expressing his regret for attending a party in early June. GoFundMe
  •  

A California man died of COVID-19 just a day after expressing his regret for attending a party.

Thomas Macias, 51, went to a party once quarantine restrictions were lifted in his area. Up until then, his brother-in-law Gus Lopez told CBS News, he’d been carefully isolating.

“He had diabetes, so he was doing everything he could to stay isolated; he would wear his mask if he had to go out,” Lopez told the publication.

“Then when he heard restrictions were being lifted, things were becoming more lenient, a friend of his put together a barbecue. So he said, ‘OK this is my chance to see my friends.'”  But after the mid-June party, Macias started to feel ill.

“We could see he was not feeling well,” Lopez said. “He was a little sweaty. He just thought it was related to his diabetes.”

After getting a call from one of the partygoers saying they’d tested positive for the respiratory virus, Macias decided to get tested, too.

It came back positive on June 18.

According to NBC News, the friend was aware of their diagnosis prior to attending the gathering. They weren’t showing symptoms and therefore believed they couldn’t infect anyone else.

Two days later, Macias expressed his regret on Facebook, writing: “I f–ked up and went out a couple of weeks ago and I contracted the coronavirus.”“Because of my stupidity, I put my mom and sisters and my family’s health in jeopardy. This has been a very painful experience,” his post continued, according to a screenshot taken by Lopez. “This is no joke. If you have to go out, wear a mask and practice social distancing.”

Thomas Macias shared his regrets for attending a party on Facebook days before he died of COVID-19.
Thomas Macias shared his regrets for attending a party on Facebook days before he died of COVID-19. Gustavo Lopez via NBC News

On June 21, Macias was rushed to the hospital by ambulance and put on a ventilator. He died later that day.

A Riverside County Office of Vital Records official confirmed to NBC News that Macias died of COVID-19.

Macias, a truck driver, never married or had kids. He’s survived by his mother, two sisters, four nieces and two great-nieces.

“He would do anything for everybody,” Lopez said. “No questions asked.”

A GoFundMe has been created to raise money for funeral costs. So far, it’s raised more than US$15,000 of the $10,000 goal.

meaghan.wray@globalnews.ca

7 hours ago, BPA said:

I talked to some of the teachers at the end of the school year.   They had no problems keeping distance between kids with a smaller class size.  

The challenge they said would be in September when all kids go back to school.   They now have an idea of what works and what does not.

I talked to a few teachers this week.  They said going back this june  without masks and hand sanitizer for them was like. a construction worker going to work without a hard hat and steel toed boots.  Not really smart practice . 

YOu should invite ten  young kids down to your rec room to hang with. your kid.   Have them stay 5 hours and make sure they all keep 2 metres away from each other and you  for the 5 hours... LOL .

1 hour ago, sassbs said:

Yesterday a hair salon in the gta, following all protocols, had to shut down due to an outbreak of 18 people receiving the virus.   Including employees.    

this $&!#s not going away anytime soon.    

Just wow.  That is so sad.  I fear you are exactly right though.

WE all need to take EVERY precaution we can  ALL the time.    This virus is much more serious than even our government is letting on.......

WEAR A  mask when indoors with other people at all times. STAY SAFE. 

• Like 1