The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Beagle and Sutter were our #1 & #3 TOI forwards on the PK last year.  If Gaudette can pick up a lot of their PK minutes? It would go a lot further in making them redundant...

Schaller was 2knd BTW, there are also minutes available for Virtanen?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2020.html#all_stats_toi

Virt was tried at PK today, any one have any thoughts on how he did? Green didn't say much during his presser.

2 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

Really..all i heard from Green is that he said "since Jake has good speed and skating, we will try to use that of his on the PK"..

image.png.743fb7758604683d03258408a4979297.png

Sorry, was just having fun.  

I do not know how he did on the PK?  If he is in shape I believe he will be a great penalty killer!  He is good at stealing pucks, underrated game sense. Defensively at least...

Those are just my thoughts.

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Barn Burner

I could be wrong, but honestly Motte is not even a 3rd liner.....at least not yet

A honest hockey player, but not at that level

It is probably that 1 game that has people excited, but until you see more of it

Be careful on your assumptions ( says the man that just assumed! LOL)

If anything, Hoglander moves to that side (Maybe....depending on Virtanen/Gaudette/Podkolzin/McEwen? being able to play the right side on the 2nd line)

You have to remember the talent difference is very small between 3rd and 4th lines, but still big...if that makes any sense

Like I said at the beginning, I could be wrong, but normally, it happens alot sooner in their careers

We will see.......remind me if Motte makes it......I don't have a problem being proven wrong

motte played like a first liner versus blues and vegas u domt know hockey like you think you do. Theres a reason benning traded to trade for motte 3 times  look at his college stats kids a good hockey player  pearsons just a moving piece by deadline  but thats ok hoglander  will be on second line and we will have a elite 3rd line as well 

• Cheers 1

Bit surprised why Sutter isn't on our 3rd line, and scared about how Roussel, Gaudette and Virtanen are going to fare defensively. None of them are really strong in their own zone and while it's great to put Roussel with the two kids, I don't see much defensive awareness there. Gaudette isn't too strong on the faceoffs yet either and could use another year of sheltering on the wing in my opinion. Offensively they'll be a force for a 3rd line and an absolute pest/pain to play against, but if they get hemmed in their own zone they're going to be feasted on which is my worry. Our 4th line looks quite strong defensively to be honest, but I'd share the love around and just swap Roussel and Sutter.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Gaudette - Sutter - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Roussel

Eriksson/Hawryluk/MacEwan

Let's see which Roussel comes to play on game 1, because in the last half of last season and the playoffs he was brutal and cost us far too many stupid penalties. If he comes ready to play the way he did at the start of the season, he can score some big goals for us and throw the body well in which case he'd be the perfect third liner. Even with that, I worry about the defence...

44 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bit surprised why Sutter isn't on our 3rd line, and scared about how Roussel, Gaudette and Virtanen are going to fare defensively. None of them are really strong in their own zone and while it's great to put Roussel with the two kids, I don't see much defensive awareness there. Gaudette isn't too strong on the faceoffs yet either and could use another year of sheltering on the wing in my opinion. Offensively they'll be a force for a 3rd line and an absolute pest/pain to play against, but if they get hemmed in their own zone they're going to be feasted on which is my worry. Our 4th line looks quite strong defensively to be honest, but I'd share the love around and just swap Roussel and Sutter.

Motte - Beagle - Roussel

Let's see which Roussel comes to play on game 1, because in the last half of last season and the playoffs he was brutal and cost us far too many stupid penalties. If he comes ready to play the way he did at the start of the season, he can score some big goals for us and throw the body well in which case he'd be the perfect third liner. Even with that, I worry about the defence...

I would rather have Motte on the third line move Roussel to left wing fourth line a fast scoring 3rd line

Motte - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Sutter

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Lets wait and see. I agree with that, and that's what I've been trying to say. But, as much as it ain't going to happen, I would like to see Motte on Horvats left wing. I don't think that\s crazy, and if it didn't work out, fine. But, I think someone like Motte could really produce. Each to their own. I believe Motte is under-rated and given the chance, will surprise most. 

I think Motte is skilled enough and smart enough to move up the line up hands down, problem is ....is there anyone who could ill in for what Motte does if he does get the opportunity. The man is a beast forechecking machine ,constant pressure and has pretty damn good mitts . He creates half his shots on net himself from just that so yes i could definitely see what he can offer a second line. Both  responsible for goals and shutdown. I have also wondered what more motte could offer with faster more offensively skilled forwards. Would be happy to see it.

• Cheers 1

For sure, they would have to find someone to fill his role. But this guy is a dog on a bone. For others to laugh that he's barely making the team or he's only a 4th liner, that's absolutely asinine. Put him with Bo, and say, the Hog or Jake on RW, that's a scary good line.The other thing with Virtanen on RW, Bo is right on him. He either produces or he's screwed. Bo hates losing and won't put up with half-assing it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canuktravella said:

motte played like a first liner versus blues and vegas u domt know hockey like you think you do. Theres a reason benning traded to trade for motte 3 times  look at his college stats kids a good hockey player  pearsons just a moving piece by deadline  but thats ok hoglander  will be on second line and we will have a elite 3rd line as well 

You are probably right........there are lots of smarter people than I

But I don't have to be faster than the Bear, just faster than you.........

Pearson......draft 1 round 30th OA...............Motte 4th round 121

Pearson.....6'1" 201 lbs..............Motte 5'10" 192 lbs

Pearson.....103 pts at 24..............Motte 30 pts at 24

Pearson......6 points in 6 games in WJC..........Motte 1 pt in 5 games in WJC

In saying all that, Pearson is a player that is fringe 2 line player, that could easily be out played by a more talented player, who shows better, just like every other player in the NHL, you are just as good as your last game in the NHL, and there is constant pressure from below, so yes, if Pearson does not play well, he will be replaced........

And he could be replaced at the end of his contract by someone internally, as he will be 29 at the end of the season, but it won't be by Motte, and I am willing to bet you, it won't be Motte........it probably will be by Hoglander if anyone on the team, but one never knows, and I don't either.....

But thanks again for pointing out my IQ...........

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Motte - Beagle - Roussel

First of all, at the 'start of the season', he was still out, recovering from knee surgery and at the start of his season (in December IIRC), besides his first game back where he scored two goals, he had a very slow start. Due, I'm sure, to said knee injury and taking a long time to get back in to playing shape. So I don't know what you think you were watching but it wasn't Roussel lol.

Second, he's just fine defensively. While certainly not what I'd call a 'shut down' player, he's certainly a solid two way player historically. Look at his CF% of 47.6 with only 38.1 oZS% the year prior, playing with better defensive players (in less sheltered conditions). It seems pretty clear he was dragged down by a questionable defensively, Gaudette and Virtanen last year as well as an (understandable) slow recovery from major knee surgery.

He appeared far better (and knee recovered) in the play ins/offs. His tactics against VGK in particular is certainly another debate (though it did seem to keep Reaves attention on him rather than our kids).

He's an elite pest, 2 way, 3rd line W'er with borderline 2nd line offensive production. He's not going to the 4th line.

If we want that line to be better defensively, Gaudette (especially) needs to improve his defensive game (and faceoffs). Or Green will play Sutter there. Virtanen may need to move up or down was well and insert a better 2 way/defensive player there (depending on what Jake really looks like this year).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I actually think of the 3rd line as the second scoring line. 

The Horvat line is a two way line and the 4th line is a energy/shutdown line 

it'll be interesting to see which d pairing Green likes to put out when Pearson-Bo-Hog's are on. That line is going to give up more chances against than with TT or Loui, but also be more dynamic and likely give up the puck a bit more.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I actually think of the 3rd line as the second scoring line. 

The Horvat line is a two way line and the 4th line is a energy/shutdown line 

Historically I'd agree. With the addition of Hoglander... Not so much.

I'm really quite curious how our middle 6 shakes out this year. I find it hard to believe we're only going to have one 'shut down' line (4th).

We'll see what happens...

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

You are probably right........there are lots of smarter people than I

But I don't have to be faster than the Bear, just faster than you.........

Pearson......draft 1 round 30th OA...............Motte 4th round 121

Pearson.....6'1" 201 lbs..............Motte 5'10" 192 lbs

Pearson.....103 pts at 24..............Motte 30 pts at 24

Pearson......6 points in 6 games in WJC..........Motte 1 pt in 5 games in WJC

In saying all that, Pearson is a player that is fringe 2 line player, that could easily be out played by a more talented player, who shows better, just like every other player in the NHL, you are just as good as your last game in the NHL, and there is constant pressure from below, so yes, if Pearson does not play well, he will be replaced........

And he could be replaced at the end of his contract by someone internally, as he will be 29 at the end of the season, but it won't be by Motte, and I am willing to bet you, it won't be Motte........it probably will be by Hoglander if anyone on the team, but one never knows, and I don't either.....

But thanks again for pointing out my IQ...........

Stan Smyl - 5'8 - 185. It's the fight in the dog. Plus, Motte can play. He was a Hobey Baker finalist. For you, or me, or anyone to say that it's absolute, is ridiculous. Give him a shot and let's see how it plays out.

• Vintage 2

I wonder if Green is going to move to a strength vs strength matchup this year.  Lotto line straight up against Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary at least.

That makes Bo's job easier to match up against every teams second line.

Net result -- 3rd line defensive abilities (or lack of) won't show up as much as they will play against bottom 6 players. 

3 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

I wonder if Green is going to move to a strength vs strength matchup this year.  Lotto line straight up against Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary at least.

That makes Bo's job easier to match up against every teams second line.

Net result -- 3rd line defensive abilities (or lack of) won't show up as much as they will play against bottom 6 players. 

Likely somewhat. But most of those teams also have more than one line to worry about.

11 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

By the way, I don't even know why you are a member of this board, you're an absolute troll. All you do is look for trouble and I'm not even sure you are a real Canucks fan. 

Nah. I'm also a Canucks fan and want what's best for the team. Like many other posters, I've been waiting an eternity for the team to bring Stanley home and will cry tears of joy once it finally happens. 

With that said, my posting style is different, and I understand it's rubbed many people the wrong way. At the end of the day, I'm not here to cheerlead, fistbump and make friends. If I disagree with someone, I'll point it out.

That's the way it should be on a discussion board.

• Cheers 1