The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Barzal NYI

aGENT

If we can get that sort of deal for Petterson and Hughes we are pretty golden.

$14 million for those two guys gives us a ton of flexibility to get out of our bad veteran contracts.  Then maybe we can look at max contracts when they have seen we have success and they are more likely to take a little discount to stay in a winning environment.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I keep trying to tell people...

Pettersson will be +/- $7m x 3 year bridge and Hughes +/- $6m x 3.

All this doom and gloom about $10m+ bridge deals is silly talk.

I have been suggesting for quite a while that long term deals would more likely be in the $8 million range.  Basically no one is getting $10 million bridge deals in the entire league.

I haven't bothered to look up exactly what year Petterson and Hughes are eligible to be UFAs, but a bridge deal that takes them to a year or two before that seems like a wise idea for both sides.  That lets them see what the league economics look like and can structure a deal with the lowest cap hit but max actual take home dollars based on escrow levels.

I actually see matching contracts for these guys, especially since it looks like we will have another season of Hughes to determine his value.  Is there any way (aside from injury) he doesn't get the prime ice time to get the equivalent of a 50 point season (34 points in the truncated season)?  An elite #1D and an elite #1 centre have pretty similar value.

If they both take a reasonable deal, then it sets a solid internal cap number moving forward keeping a lid on the Boeser, Horvat, Miller extensions.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I have been suggesting for quite a while that long term deals would more likely be in the $8 million range.  Basically no one is getting $10 million bridge deals in the entire league.

I haven't bothered to look up exactly what year Petterson and Hughes are eligible to be UFAs, but a bridge deal that takes them to a year or two before that seems like a wise idea for both sides.  That lets them see what the league economics look like and can structure a deal with the lowest cap hit but max actual take home dollars based on escrow levels.

I actually see matching contracts for these guys, especially since it looks like we will have another season of Hughes to determine his value.  Is there any way (aside from injury) he doesn't get the prime ice time to get the equivalent of a 50 point season (34 points in the truncated season)?  An elite #1D and an elite #1 centre have pretty similar value.

If they both take a reasonable deal, then it sets a solid internal cap number moving forward keeping a lid on the Boeser, Horvat, Miller extensions.

If you look around the league, for whatever reason, D are still getting less insane second deals. Hughes also won't have arb rights or other sheets IIRC as bargaining power. For those reasons, I think he gets a bit less.

Nothing to do with their relative value to the team.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes I have always said next summer 2 year flat cap deals.. 

Pettersson 2 yrs X 6.6 - 7million  summer 22 ----   Next deal 7 yrs X 9.8 million

Hughes  2 yrs  X 6.1 - 6.5  summer 22 ---    Next deal  7 years X 8 million --- Chabot type deal

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Next deal  7 years X 8 million --- Chabot type deal

If Benning can get Hughes to sign for a deal similar to Chabot's, that would be impressive. Hughes is the straw that stirs our drink though. His game allows us to attack and push the pace, generate offense from the back end on a level we have never witnessed in Van. I would not be surprised at all if he actually signs for more $ than Petey.

the covid economy will depress contracts for the next 2-3 seasons which is actually a damned fine thing when you consider who the team has to sign vs who we are losing.  we could essentially see the loss of Erikssons contract for Pettersson's barring say 1-1.5 million difference

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm with ya man...

All this doom and gloom crowd is the same people that always think the sky is falling :P

We got 2 franchise players and half the time all people do is just complain that we're not gonna have cap to sign em as if Jim Benning and our management are a couple of 4 year olds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, apollo said:

I'm with ya man...

All this doom and gloom crowd is the same people that always think the sky is falling :P

We got 2 franchise players and half the time all people do is just complain that we're not gonna have cap to sign em as if Jim Benning and our management are a couple of 4 year olds.

yuour hiLarryous

Jim has done nothing but sign bad contracts 

and youur acting like it"s the fans fault

you know its a good day in CDCland when you get a wonkie for the old newsman

Edited by lmm
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I guess osmosis has claimed Dhaliwal as a casualty.   He's certainly conforming to the drama landscape.

'in a position to look for more'...k.

'talkzz have not startedz...'

Barzal expired.

Pettersson has a year of term remaining.

drama-on RD.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah the doom and gloom stems from people overrating how much the Canadian taxes effects players and people think we need to pay what Toronto paid for their players. Despite there being no real correlation there. They f'd their cap and f'd up how they handled their RFAs, doesn't mean we have to. The Canucks have Horvat as a good benchmark contract. How can Petey or anyone ask for twice as much as what our captain makes? We'll be fine. The tax situation stinks but isn't gonna bloat our contracts that much. And Toronto's situation is isolated to them.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

I'd toss u a confused react but I think you deserve the +1 for making me laugh so I gave you laughs :P

I'm genuinely hoping you don't take this the wrong way... I have nothing but good intentions and hope that you may see things differently as a result... I hope you can one day see life and this team as glass half full. I hope I can help all our fans who suffer from this as we are ALL CANUCKS <3

This is a common theme in Canucks nation... I experienced this stage myself for about 3 years of my 20 years of fandom... we got wronged so much in the past that it's easy to just become negative and just think every thing is against us (whether its life or canucks related). During those 3 years, I was negative, would absolutely flip over losing even regular season games... and was just causing havoc for myself mentally... it's not healthy my friend.

As I look back through the years, I realized what caused my "Canucks Related Depression"... from Bertuzzi (the man i looked up to after he changed my life with one afternoon... not growing up with a father around made me just love him even more)  being suspended on the verge of the franchise winning our first cup... to the rules of the league changing in a 2011 SCF... from the passing of future Norris Dman Luc Bourdon (Rest in paradise Luc)... to the Jordan Schroeders setting WJC records but busting for us...

It really is easy to turn on your team after going through what our fan base has gone through. Mental illness is a result of trauma and it's really easy to let bad things that happened in the past skew our vision of the future...

It's easy to pretend that us nerds sitting behind the computer have an actual clue about what Jim needs to be doing. For years I'd huff and puff my chest like a big shot ridiculing Benning... because I'm some nerd with 10K posts on CDC... "ELIAS IS TOO SMALL! Omg QUinn hughes small and american!?"

After years of finding myself mentally it hit me... why was this happening? Was it because I'm a hockey god on the interwebz and know what benning should be doing? Or was my brain triggered to think negative thoughts IMMEDIATELY when it comes to our team?

I don't blame you - it hasn't been easy being a Canucks fan over the years and it's easy to slip your mind into a state of depression when it comes to surrounding the team.

The reality is Jim has done an impeccable job... not a single player over 6AAV... he's drafted 10x better than any GM in our franchise history plain and simple.

He's attracted great free agents, and I still to this day %100 support his signing of Loui. The team needed to give the Sedins one last run - so get over it you're not the one paying him

PS Tyler Myers was #1 dman available that free agency, TSN and every chanell had him as #1 D... he turned down 7x6 and took 5x6

So yea if you're still upset over Beagle and Roussel making 500k extra than what they deserve, its likely not healthy and there may be underlying issues

Hey no offense taken

I agree with most of what you say.

I agree Jim has drafted well, 

but disagree on some other team related ideas.

Not concerned about Rooster or Beagle

but,

Jim has made mistakes.

I am not a big scouting guy, I do not have a lot of opinions about who should be drafted, etc.

as a result most of my observations are hind sight.

I never liked the Loui signing, and had no illusions that that team was near another cup run.

that thinking was wrong in my view at the time, and wrong in retrospect.

The Canucks are in a position in their developement where thye could have made a run this season, except for Jim's bad signings.

I try to make my views known early, then wait and see if I am correct.

I do not get behind every move, nor do I try to trample every move, some I like, some I don't

I was never on board with Ericksson, Vey, Baertschi or Dorsett

I think he also failed with Kassian and Hamhius

but I think he did well with Thomas Vanek, I with he made more deals like that one..

I feel like I have witnessed you grow as a person from a starry eyed kid into an adult

and you are welcome to support every move Jim makes

If I think you are being funny or over the top in your assessment, I might just call you on it

cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I guess osmosis has claimed Dhaliwal as a casualty.   He's certainly conforming to the drama landscape.

'in a position to look for more'...k.

'talkzz have not startedz...'

Barzal expired.

Pettersson has a year of term remaining.

drama-on RD.

Never mind the melodramatic insinuation we'll need to pay Pettersson 'more' :rolleyes:

I preferred Rick when he just reported the news.

4 hours ago, lmm said:

yuour hiLarryous

Jim has done nothing but sign bad contracts 

and youur acting like it"s the fans fault

you know its a good day in CDCland when you get a wonkie for the old newsman

hilarious. And yah, great sarcasm there. 

This sets the comparable for EP if he signs a bridge deal.

I don't get why he would look to get more on a bridge deal, unless he puts up 100+ points (or equivalent in a shortened season).

Barzal is not an inferior player to EP.