The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Note: There won't be a new thread created for the PGT. We've decided to combine the GDTs and PGTs for this season with the condensed schedule.

What would be great is pin a post for the start of the PGT so it is one click to get to.

thanks

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Do you (or anyone else) know if SN will only have one announcer team doing each game?  Only asking cuz down south here, it seems I only get the Alberta feeds when the Canucks play Edm or Cal, and it drives me nuts.  Same might go for any other time our boys are playing in Canada.  

The guy last night wasn't awful, putting the expected Oiler bias aside, but I want John n John as much as possible.

If you have centre ice and live in Alberta unless it’s different this year you won’t have Canucks feed when they play Edmonton or Calgary on centre ice and are forced to watch the Alberta feed on Sportsnet west 

Edited by Filthy McNasty

Puck possession starts with a superior D core.

Can Horvat /  Hoglander dominate again ?

Virtannen was starting to fit towards the end. 

I like what Bieksa said:

” It’s no secret that if Mcdavid doesn’t score 2-3 points every night there won’t be many wins for the Oilers. “

25 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

If you have centre ice and live in Alberta unless it’s different this year you won’t have Canucks feed when they play Edmonton or Calgary on centre ice and are forced to watch the Alberta feed on Sportsnet west 

Thanks.  I've got Center Ice, but I'm in California.  I can't say for sure, but it seemed I was always getting the Edm feed for Canuck/oiler games last year, and that just sucks.  I guess I don't have to wait too long to see what happens in Game 2 :towel:

Edit: on Center Ice down here, we get to choose for home or away feeds, but when two Cdn teams play, there is almost always only the one feed to choose.

Edited by Kragar

28 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Do you (or anyone else) know if SN will only have one announcer team doing each game?  Only asking cuz down south here, it seems I only get the Alberta feeds when the Canucks play Edm or Cal, and it drives me nuts.  Same might go for any other time our boys are playing in Canada.  

The guy last night wasn't awful, putting the expected Oiler bias aside, but I want John n John as much as possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Harnarayan a last minute replacement for Gene Principe, who was a "late scratch"? :unsure:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Harnarayan a last minute replacement for Gene Principe, who was a "late scratch"? :unsure:

I think you're right.  I only listened to a little of the pre-game talk on there, as I was an hour delayed starting, so I wasn't sure what was behind it all.

Heck, he might even be better than Principe!

So nice to have hockey and most particular our team back on the ice. It completes me. I am on my happy place when the Canucks are on. My game day, like today, is filled with anticipation. My favorite parts of last night's game were Boeser's shot is back, Hogs first, OJ looking like he belongs in the NHL, the pout on McD's face, EP looking back at McD wiping out trying to catch EP. What a great night. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I think you're right.  I only listened to a little of the pre-game talk on there, as I was an hour delayed starting, so I wasn't sure what was behind it all.

Heck, he might even be better than Principe!

I don't often listen to the regional broadcasters. I always thought of GP as an Oiler reporter, kind of like Murph, but Louie definitely mentioned the fact that Gene was unavailable, before mentioning Harnarayan.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I cut Harnarayan some slack....it was his first game. (In English, anyway)

As far as the game goes, it was a solid start. I suppose the biggest criticism I'd have is the Canucks' defenders being slow to move the puck when in their own zone. Juolevi got his pocket picked by Yamamoto and Hamonic got caught a couple of times as well.

Holtby was solid, if not spectacular, but sometimes it's when you make the save.....a couple of excellent stops near the end. The one on McDavid's breakaway was big as well.

That being said, I think Demko should get the start tonight.

Plus he had to fill in last minute.  And like you said....he usually doesn’t announce in English.

6 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Harnarayan will be fine with time. His voice is great, it's just some fine-tuning with the actual commentating that's needed. 

On the other hand, Dave Randorf...I couldn't stand that guys voice, and that's something you can't improve over time.

He was just a last minute fill in.

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

Höglander - shifty, fast, skilled, what a pleasant surprise.

Juolevi - wow. Just wow. A couple of gaffes and a towering, cool presence and made some seriously brilliant defensive plays.

Holtby - Ian Clark for a couple of months and here we go. Very solid. He’s only going to get better.

Schmidt - quick thinking with his pitch perfect passes.

Harmonic - Hopefully it’s the utter lack of practice and game time. 

Looks like the Canucks have just picked up from where they left off, reinforced, fully healed and ready to go.

I'm reserving judgement on Hamonic for the next week.  He went family skating to defending McDavid in the matter of 4 days.  He will be fine, if not, we have other options.  Bang on with your other comments though.  Schmidt will have as much, if not more of an impact than JT Miller did last year.  24 very good minutes last night. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

Wasn't pretty, but the offense bailed us out. Defense was brutal, 3rd line was brutal except one shift. Hopefully they rethink the D pairings. Great games by Boeser and Hogs. 4th line was good too.

Play by play guy is one of the worst I've ever heard. 

All 3 of our D from last year has a new partner last night, and there were no exhibition games.  Give them time, his group is going to be really good.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

he had some good shifts, and I am a big Myers fan.  I think he just got caught trying to do too much to make life easier for OJ.  He was out of position a lot last night.

Hamonic just looks like he hasn't played since March, which he hasn't.  He'll be fine

Hey no worries Stawns, your a teacher and anyone who gives easy marks out is doing their students a disservice.   Have to say it reminds me of another teacher who was a tough marker.   His name is Mike Keenan.  Have a mag from the 93-94 season.   Paraphrased : “first in penalty kill, first in PP...leading the league in points...have to give the team an A and in a tough marker”.   This was around the all-star break.   

I like Myers too and am absolutely stoked we have this guy.  Really think he has a lot to offer, and proved his value last season  - last night he had a great game.  Didn’t get on the scoreboard, but stopped some very good EDM plays, killed Edlers penalty and was his usual self adding some offense which didn’t get him on the scoresheet.   

Ive also taught too, not like you but get some of the trade.    Three years at the University level but for trades red seal program.    So get that nothing is free and that there is a responsibility we have to push students to be their best selves, equating to no trophies for participation.

Still, as far as last nights game went - A for effort...something TG usually gets from his troops, but wouldn’t include Myers as an underperformer.   Same with the entire fourth line.   The rest - no issue with but I will differ to your judgement because like I said - I’m probably a huge homer. 

• Cheers 1