The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

lol, players today have a much harder time to score, thats a fact. mcdavid does sore 63% more than his teammates the 4th leading scorer had 35 points last year.

imagine having 7 hall of famers on our team to pad your stats

Why don't all the other hall of famers have that many points?  In fact, Gretzky had 63% more points than a hall of famer teammate.  Now THAT is dominance.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

What do you mean McDavid doesn't dominate?

Not like Gretzky or Lemieux, or even Orr in his prime. They were exceptional. And Crosby was dominating prior to his injuries.

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, viking mama said:

Too soon after a condensed boot camp, too many are still in pre-pre-season form, perhaps? Pray that they manage these back to back, or 3 in 4 night tilts, much better in the days & weeks ahead.   

Edmonton outhit Vancouver 32-17. And won the game 5-2. That’s not a good look no matter how you slice it. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

im not arguing gretzky wasn't the most dominant player of all time. im arguing mcdavid would score as many points as gretzky and lemeuix if he played in the 80's on thier respective teams

Sorry, but there is a tier for god-level players, and McDavid isn't there ... yet.  By god-level, we can disagree about order, but we're talking about Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, and Howe (and asmall group of others) for different reasons on and off the ice.  Rules changed and game play changed due to the effects these players had on the game.  McDavid hasn't had that effect now, and he wouldn't have had it in the past.  Maybe arguable after a career's worth of play, but not now, and personally, I doubt if it will ever be arguable.

Edited by Hockey God
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

lol, players today have a much harder time to score, thats a fact. mcdavid does sore 63% more than his teammates the 4th leading scorer had 35 points last year.

imagine having 7 hall of famers on our team to pad your stats

McDavid didn't even outscore Draisaitl last year. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Darius said:

Come on PB

goto hockey dB.  Look up Bernie Nichols.  He gets 78 points.  Gretzky shows up and BAM... next entry...  150 points. Magic.  This is just one example. 

Imagine how many hall of famers would have been created in LA if Wayne spent his prime years there.  Bernie was talented of course but not 150 point talented.  

were they even on the same line? nichols was on the second right? thats like saying petey makes bo a better player.

Lazy Canucks plays. There were a few goals where the Canucks were just floating.

5th goal for example, Horvat is floating and not in a position to help his winger. When he was coming back, he was lackluster. 

Terrible game. Oilers came out from the start and the Canucks rolled over.

PK in first game Canucks had jump and challenged. This game they sat in their box and waited for the game to come to they. Horrible.

PST in GDT is horrible for us in Europe that watch the game late. I am not going to scroll back to find where it starts.

The PP is awful. What's the use of making those endless stck to stick passes until the PP is almost over, leaving not much time for the 2nd unit? You have to set up for more one-timers when passing the puck to be intimidating. Gaudette and Virtanen of the 2nd unit are more productive as these guys have the shoot first  mentality in PP. Petey especially has to shoot more and make quicker passes. Once he stops the puck, the play is dead as all shooting and passing lanes are blocked and it often ends with a turnover.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

were they even on the same line? nichols was on the second right? thats like saying petey makes bo a better player.

Nicholls on playing with 99 the year Wayne got traded; 

It was the opportunity of a lifetime,” Nicholls says from his home in Addison, Texas. “I got to play with arguably the greatest player in the world for one year, and I took full advantage.

Gretzky and nicholls ran the LA power play. Bernie was on the point.  Coach would also play them together when he needed a goal. 

So mid way through the next season (89/90) he gets traded to NY.  He goes from 150 point player to a ppg player.  

So the year he played with Wayne he got 150 points.  Substantially more points than before Wayne showed up and substantially more than when he went to the Rangers.  

You think this is just a coincidence?

Nicholls was an  Excellent player nonetheless. 

99 made the players around him better.  He probably got some into the hall of fame too. 

Strong argument can be made that 99 is the goat ( I can make an argument for 66 too)  He is at least a tier above mcdavid. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

It was the opportunity of a lifetime,” Nicholls says from his home in Addison, Texas. “I got to play with arguably the greatest player in the world for one year, and I took full advantage.

Gretzky and nicholls ran the LA power play. Bernie was on the point.  Coach would also play them together when he needed a goal. 

So mid way through the next season (89/90) he gets traded to NY.  He goes from 150 point player to a ppg player.  

So the year he played with Wayne he got 150 points.  Substantially more points than before Wayne showed up and substantially more than when he went to the Rangers.  

99 made the players around him better.  He probably got some into the hall of fame too. 

Strong argument can be made that 99 is the goat ( I can make an argument for 66 too)  He is at least a tier above mcdavid. 

At this stage, Gretzky and Lemieux are a couple levels above Micky D. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Darius said:

man you really like to argue about nothing eh, i already agree with you wayne is the goat. but since you really love arguing, draitsaital and mcdavid's relationship sounds alot like gretzky and nichols. imagine if gretzky got to play with mcdavid instead of a lame ppg player like nichols.

6 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

man you really like to argue about nothing eh, i already agree with you wayne is the goat. but since you really love arguing, draitsaital and mcdavid's relationship sounds alot like gretzky and nichols. imagine if gretzky got to play with mcdavid instead of a lame ppg player like nichols.

What’s this got to do with anything? You

Implied  that Gretzky probably had as much influence on nicholls as EP has on Bo- as if Nicholls 150 point season really wasnt influenced by 99 much.  Maybe I misunderstood? 

Now that we have established Wayne is the goat ( well I could make an argument for 66 too) there is no need to carry on haha 

3 hours ago, khay said:

1st line needs Miller back.

That awful PP set up must go. I don't understand why it's so hard with our PP. 

Right handed trigger man, check.

Left handed trigger man, check.

Best line walking playmaking PP QB, check.

One of the better bumpers in the NHL, check.

What's missing?

Who runs the PP this year?  I'm not sure if assistant coaches role has changed but I'm assuming Newell Brown?   It has a strong influence.  I'd rather a new PP coach. I'm behind on any coaching staff changes.