The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, wloutet said:

I've never played hockey but watched it since the early 60's. But I have coached basketball for over 20 years. When we came up with a dominating player on the other team (like McDavid), we used to go into a "box and one" zone defence. Here one player would shadow the dominating player one-on-one, while the other four players ran a zone defence in the shape of a box. Hockey teams play a zone defence on the power play, would this work in hockey??

My teams played a variation of the box and one - but it wasn't a box and exception man-to-man - it was the closest player attacking possession, with the 1 switching /filling - the remaining 4 maintaining the 'box', the switching player taking the spot that opens in the box (depending on where possession was).  Depending on personnel, it can be an extremely effective defensive half-court system.

One of my favorite defenses - and when played well, sometimes difficult/confusing for opposing players to identify and adapt to.

In hockey - your version would require a skater that could stay with McDavid.   Not many able - but the Virtanen option mentioned above is not a bad one / likely the best option this team would have (perhaps Motte another, but not quite the footspeed of Virtanen) - and the fixed 1 form that you describe would be necessary, because switching with McDavid would only enable him to pick his defenders in the end.

In past years we have had Tanev - at this point some version of Essa Tikkanen may be necessary.

The bottom line imo- while there are a lot of similarities in systems between hockey and basketball (because of similarities in shapes of the court/ice, number of players/skaters and location of the basket/goal - a box and 1 in hockey simply is not/cannot be as dynamic a defensive system as in basketball - because 1) a skater moves much more quickly than a guy in shoes 2) the ice surface is considerably larger than a half court, and 3) the puck moves more quickly than a basketball - and it is smaller.   The one advantage an attacking basketball team has over hockey - they handle the ball directly/with their hands.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Team Toughness: Protecting McDavid

That was back when he was allowed to hit. I think that was "coached" out of him long ago. I liked that version of him as he had a bit of a more "mean streak" to his game. Back then he would level somebody and then he would have to sit on the bench for awhile. That's funny, that still happens actually. ::D 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

That was back when he was allowed to hit. I think that was "coached" out of him long ago. I liked that version of him as he had a bit of a more "mean streak" to his game. Back then he would level somebody and then he would have to sit on the bench for awhile. That's funny, that still happens actually. ::D 

It'll be interesting to see if that game returns if he's traded. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't necessarily agree that it was "coached" out of him - what I think he was coached to do is prioritize maintaining positioning/coverage over chasing hits.

I think a lot of progress has been made by Virtanen - but I was never in agreement with the crowd that perceived (and still does) that he lacks hockey intelligence or is incapable of executing (defensive) systems.  For me - he's a 24 year old with the potential to continue to build a speed and power game.   I'm in no hurry to move on from the Virtanen development project.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't necessarily agree that it was "coached" out of him - what I think he was coached to do is prioritize maintaining positioning/coverage over chasing hits.

I think a lot of progress has been made by Virtanen - but I was never in agreement with the crowd that perceived (and still does) that he lacks hockey intelligence or is incapable of executing (defensive) systems.  For me - he's a 24 year old with the potential to continue to build a speed and power game.   I'm in no hurry to move on from the Virtanen development project.

Jake is a real anomaly because he showed real promise offensively and had shown aggression which would have been an asset in the top 6. For the past few years though he has been basically put on the third line and remained there and when he makes a mistake, he is benched. I don't see Green treating any of his other players like this, its odd. I agree he needed to learn defense but he was never given a lot of opportunity on the PP or PK and he has been on this team for years. 

With his speed and ability to check effectively, you would think he would at least be given opportunities on the PK.

I agree about his hockey intelligence as well I seen how he can play but I feel he has been told to play a certain way and I don't think he is encouraged to play any other way. Its sad because I think he can be an integral part of this team but I think the damage is already done and probably the only way for him to flourish now is to move on to another team away from Green.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Honestly I really don't think it's Green, Travis preached more team toughness going into camp, and after the motte and gaudette fight in camp, Green said he didn't know if he did or didn't like it, but he's glad to see the guys playing with some intensity. Maybe that's just Jake, and he's a playing a bit too soft.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

i think its more that he's a shrinking violet and a spot picker and he's afraid to have to stand up for himself if someone challenges him after he lays out a finesse player with a big hit. there's nobody left on the team to fight his battles for him or to cast a shadow that he can cower in. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RichieCanuck said:

Honestly I really don't think it's Green, Travis preached more team toughness going into camp, and after the motte and gaudette fight in camp, Green said he didn't know if he did or didn't like it, but he's glad to see the guys playing with some intensity. Maybe that's just Jake, and he's a playing a bit too soft.

It is hard to say but it did seem to be that he enjoyed the big hits at one time. Who knows what is said behind closed doors or in the locker room but I do think Jake is going to have to move on in order for us to see what the real story is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

These “mini playoff series” cry out for that kind of hard line matching but it’s tough to pull off on the road games. I would think Bo would be Greeners choice though

I would think LE would be Greener's chouce,htat is why Jim had to get him off the roster.

I think Bo is more suited to play Draisaitl

at this point we need to play the oil 15 more times to get out of the division

anyone remember jake and McD out at the same time these last 2 games?

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We should staple Motte to McD ass next time. Motte would drive him nuts and start a fight too probably.:P

They should come out like they want to win the game. They were lazy and unmotivated.

Season starts around Game 10 though so.. not worried so much about these games.

I watched on SN as Chris Verstig called for ‘protection ‘ for the stars of the NHL. Zero tolerance for physical play on McDavid or other stars. New era new rules. The Virtanen hit on McDavid will be a thing from the past. A lot of BS in my opinion.