The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think only Juolevi was playing when the team was manhandled by the Flames, and lit up by the Oilers, so this statement doesn't make sense. As well, the defense struggled mightily with Tanev, so just saying that it's the rookies is an excuse. 

:lol:The only excuse this team needs is Benning

Hey do you remember how Edmonton was used as the big excuse for not rushing players? Do you think the pressure on Hughes and Pettersson is similar? Hey the Vancouver Oilers, same management system, old player with no experience hired t run team, he hires old junior hockey buddy with no GM experience to run team, they fire experienced cup winning coach and he hires a junior alumnus and AHL career coach with no NHL experience, fire accountant and capologist and hires an old friend to be asst GM, blows two drafts and then fires coach and hires another junior alumnus Green, also with no NHL experience not even as an asst.

Now all the pressure is on Pettersson and Hughes, oh, and Horvat too, after 8 years he gets to face the media daily to explain why the team isn't as good as other teams without condemning individual players, coaches or management, that must be such a thrill. Think he might want out eventually? You take a person that put everything he had into winning the game from 12 yrs old and up, pushed and pushed, and now has to sit back and be a professional and accept somehow, losing, and not only that but he has to try to explain that even though he has no say in how to stop it.

This is called deflecting the root cause.

Ask the coach how to fix it? What can he do, play what he is given.

Ask the player how to fix it? What can he do, throw teammates under the bus? ( he could do the Tiger Williams thing, threatened to beat them up if they lose two in a row)

Ask the media to point out individuals for errors, distract from asking the one person that can do something to change the team, gee I wonder who that might be eh?

And if bold enough to ask, then also ask if it is for past mistakes that nothing can be done now?

But hey, Virtanen's fault, Demko's fault, Green's fault, Brown's fault, Baumgartner's fault, Myer's fault, if only Petey and Hughes would score fault, hey the sun got in his eyes fault, if they only stopped those 4 goals or if they scored more goals they would win fault, concussion protocol's fault, who did I leave out that has been blamed?

And they ask Horvat or Motte or Green or the trainer or some obscure media guy or everyone and anyone except   ?

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, BPA said:

Put in some young guys and see what we got.  Might as well see how they can stand up to the NHL.  Can't be any worse.  Might be better cuz they be hungry to prove themselves.

:blink:

Hoglander, Demko,  Juolevi, Rafferty, Chatfield, tomorrow Brisbois, Rathbone? 

I believe the kids are in... Who's left Lind? 

32 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm happy that Myers was able to deplete the Canadien's roster by taking out Armia. Losing Edler, Hamonic, and Chatfield hurt, so a little equalization is always good. Maybe Brock can whip a couple of slapshots at Montreal's defensemens shins and relieve them of their duties for a spell. 

Blunt, that is a raw approach to the problem. And I'm not saying I'm against it. All options are on the table. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

:lol:The only excuse this team needs is Benning

Hey do you remember how Edmonton was used as the big excuse for not rushing players? Do you think the pressure on Hughes and Pettersson is similar? Hey the Vancouver Oilers, same management system, old player with no experience hired t run team, he hires old junior hockey buddy with no GM experience to run team, they fire experienced cup winning coach

I believe Linden was the one that fired him. 

5 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

and he hires a junior alumnus and AHL career coach with no NHL experience, fire accountant and capologist and hires an old friend to be asst GM, blows two drafts and then fires coach and hires another junior alumnus Green, also with no NHL experience not even as an asst.

Now all the pressure is on Pettersson and Hughes, oh, and Horvat too, after 8 years he gets to face the media daily to explain why the team isn't as good as other teams without condemning individual players, coaches or management, that must be such a thrill. Think he might want out eventually? You take a person that put everything he had into winning the game from 12 yrs old and up, pushed and pushed, and now has to sit back and be a professional and accept somehow, losing, and not only that but he has to try to explain that even though he has no say in how to stop it.

This is called deflecting the root cause.

Ask the coach how to fix it? What can he do, play what he is given.

Ask the player how to fix it? What can he do, throw teammates under the bus? ( he could do the Tiger Williams thing, threatened to beat them up if they lose two in a row)

Ask the media to point out individuals for errors, distract from asking the one person that can do something to change the team, gee I wonder who that might be eh?

And if bold enough to ask, then also ask if it is for past mistakes that nothing can be done now?

But hey, Virtanen's fault, Demko's fault, Green's fault, Brown's fault, Baumgartner's fault, Myer's fault, if only Petey and Hughes would score fault, hey the sun got in his eyes fault, if they only stopped those 4 goals or if they scored more goals they would win fault, concussion protocol's fault, who did I leave out that has been blamed?

And they ask Horvat or Motte or Green or the trainer or some obscure media guy or everyone and anyone except   ?

Benning has a huge hand in how the team is presently, without a doubt.

If it so happens that a coaching change occurs at the end of the season due to a disappointing result, there will be a general manager change as well. I can't see him surviving it.

Benning has had 6 years to get the team back to contention. He's drafted well, all things considered, but his signings and trades, when looked at on the whole, have not been good, and are presently affecting the team in a very negative way. 

In no way are Benning's hands clean here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Blunt, that is a raw approach to the problem. And I'm not saying I'm against it. All options are on the table. 

Much appreciated, Fig. I'm tired of the team getting slammed with injuries and not doing their best to adjust the other teams roster in kind. 

I believe the Canucks will turn it around, but to think we're in the clear is delusional. A handful of contracts Benning handed out is coming back to bite us, but at the same time, to claim he's a GM worthy of getting fired is delusional as well.

These are growing pains. Acknowledge that the team is by no means perfect, but the Canucks have certainly improved, and there's also a lot of room for improvement as well. 

It'll also be interesting to see if, and how, Green and his coaching staff adjust.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Much appreciated, Fig. I'm tired of the team getting slammed with injuries and not doing their best to adjust the other teams roster in kind. 

I think I hear what you're saying: Hockey is controlled violence. We just need to omit the 'controlled' part. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Very little evidence that EP “can put muscle on” at this point. Love him as a player and person, but going into this, his third season, he is still 176lbs. It’s an issue. He’s got tons of jam, and doesn’t shy away from anything but when a solid D-man hits him, Petey gets knocked about quite noticeably.

Also, been thinking about the team today and I’m also starting to truly realize what the difference between excellent goaltending (Marky) and average goaltending (current duo) can mean in terms of wins and losses. Between getting shutout by Markstrom, Tanev putting on a shot blocking clinic against us, and Toffoli singlehandedly destroying us....not much fun to be had in Canuckville right now. 

bs i was 5’1 140 pounds at 17. 6’1 155 at  18

6’4 175 at 21

6’4 187 at 26

6’4 235 at 41

you can always put muscle on not sure what your talking bout not sure if you know what going ti the gym and proper diet does for someone plus your  metabolism changes over time

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Could not agree with you more, we have been so easy to play against for years now. Teams will take as many liberties as they want because there will never be any accountability, and i dont want to hear about team toughness !!!

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I believe the Canucks will turn it around, but to think we're in the clear is delusional. A handful of contracts Benning handed out is coming back to bite us, but at the same time, to claim he's a GM worthy of getting fired is delusional as well. 

I don't think it's delusional. He's been in the position for six, going on seven years, and the team has made it to the playoffs in only one of those years. He's signed quite a few contracts (more than a handful) that are not working out very well for the team going forward. It's distinctly possible that he could get the boot at the end of the season. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

6’4 175 at 21

6’4 187 at 26

6’4 235 at 41

you can always put muscle on not sure what your talking bout not sure if you know what going ti the gym and proper diet does for someone plus your  metabolism changes over time

Man I wish I had your growth spurt between 17-18. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

6’4 175 at 21

6’4 187 at 26

6’4 235 at 41

People can always put on weight, not everybody can put on muscle.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think it's delusional. He's been in the position for six, going on seven years, and the team has made it to the playoffs in only one of those years. He's signed quite a few contracts (more than a handful) that are not working out very well for the team going forward. It's distinctly possible that he could get the boot at the end of the season. 

I'll reserve my judgement until some of those bad contracts he signed start coming off the books at the end of this year. It'll be interesting to see how he manages new, much needed cap space.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm happy that Myers was able to deplete the Canadien's roster by taking out Armia. Losing Edler, Hamonic, and Chatfield hurt, so a little equalization is always good. Maybe Brock can whip a couple of slapshots at Montreal's defensemens shins and relieve them of their duties for a spell. 

100 percent. About time someone got a little mad and mean. Canucks for years have been too nice. I've been saying for years that teams land at Vancouver International and know full well they won't be pushed around. It's only one hit but I wish we had more of that. I've also wanted Petey to let that one timer rip and if it hits some opposition turd and fells him, so be it. 

Edited by rekker
  • Thanks 1